Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Hyundai Kona EV 64kw Premium SE
Discussion Starter #1
Subject. I'm in the UK.

Are there any I need to buy that are not included, and do you have any recommended places to get them?

Registered
Subject. I'm in the UK.

Are there any I need to buy that are not included, and do you have any recommended places to get them?
UK spec should include both cables you need. The Type2 for 7kw chargers and the Granny Cable which despite being labeled as for emergency use only is jolly handy for slow/free charging, if at a very sl馃悽w rate.

Registered
UK spec should include both cables you need. The Type2 for 7kw chargers and the Granny Cable which despite being labeled as for emergency use only is jolly handy for slow/free charging, if at a very sl馃悽w rate.
It will be a 22kW type 2 cable for 11kW charging these days.

Registered
Silly me, yes if its an 11kW model then it will have must have an uprated cable.
The easiest way to check (at least if its the same as mine) is that the cable has a silver label on it with the ratings: 32A 3P+N+鈴
It's the "3P" that says it is a 3-phase cable.

Registered
Kona64
It will be a 22kW type 2 cable for 11kW charging these days.
wow mind reader I was just writing a post to ask this exact question !
Thankyou -- Happy days !

Registered
New (used) owner myself here too.
You can set a site specific charge rate on the AC charger settings on the centre display.
By adjusting the AC from Max to med or low ( I think that's what it states) you can ramp the charge rate down and still use your 7kW wall box.
This must be a better solution than using the granny charger and overheating 3 pin socket potential issues.

Registered
New (used) owner myself here too.
You can set a site specific charge rate on the AC charger settings on the centre display.
By adjusting the AC from Max to med or low ( I think that's what it states) you can ramp the charge rate down and still use your 7kW wall box.
This must be a better solution than using the granny charger and overheating 3 pin socket potential issues.
It's Maximum, Reduced and Minimum, and the minimum still exceeds the 4 kW of the solar panels. The granny charger at maximum only draws 9 Amps, which to a 13 Amp plug is well within tolerance. It gets slightly warm, but if it gets hot I should call an electrician to test your house electrics.

Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
If you have solar panels, or are thinking about installing some, you need to choose a home wall charger that can work with solar panels. My Kona is plugged in now to my Zappi charger, but won't start charging until sunrise. I have not set any in-car settings except maximum battery charge, just the settings on the Zappi.

Reactions: mikeiow

Registered
If you have solar panels, or are thinking about installing some, you need to choose a home wall charger that can work with solar panels. My Kona is plugged in now to my Zappi charger, but won't start charging until sunrise. I have not set any in-car settings except maximum battery charge, just the settings on the Zappi.
Agreed. However, I was offered a free Pod-Point charger by Hyundai so I wasn't going to pass on that. :)
I believe the Ohme charger is also a smart charger, but don't quote me on that.

Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
I'm not convinced that a free pod point is worth the (lack of) money. Your charger is your future that you will use day in day out. Intelligent chargers will provide the cheapest costs, fastest charging times, and best reliability.

Registered
I'm not convinced that a free pod point is worth the (lack of) money. Your charger is your future that you will use day in day out. Intelligent chargers will provide the cheapest costs, fastest charging times, and best reliability.
Hmmm. Not convinced on that one. The more complex something is, the more that can go wrong with it. My Pod-Point charges at 7 kW and has been flawless so far.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm. Not convinced on that one. The more complex something is, the more that can go wrong with it. My Pod-Point charges at 7 kW and has been flawless so far.
Changing subject - how long did it take to get your Pod Point installed?

Kona EV 64Kw Premium SE in Galactic Grey

Registered
Changing subject - how long did it take to get your Pod Point installed?

I think it was about 3 weeks. I took lots of photos of where my electricity meter was, where I wanted the charger, how far apart they'd be and emailed it to them. The guy turned up and did it in a morning. They took care of the OLEV grant and everything. From the service I got, I'd recommend them to anyone.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
I think it was about 3 weeks.
Ok cool. I applied a week ago, but communication is pretty rubbish.

They do say if we鈥檝e heard nothing by ten days to call back.

Fingers crossed.

Registered

Fingers crossed.

I've just looked back over my emails. Pod-Point contacted me via Hyundai on 25/10/2018. Installation was on 16/11/2018.

Registered
Kona64

Fingers crossed.

I had a onsite visit and then quote for 620inc vat for a tethered 7kw smart PodPoint, including an extra widget for my 100amp being a smidge under new potential new full load.
That was from an independent: pencolelectrical.co.uk
Veeoh you'll be interested to see where their registered office is ......." nearby " !

Reactions: Veeoh
1 - 20 of 22 Posts