Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
PodPoint is well worth having - their 7kW posts in Sainsburys or Tescos are usually free as indeed are some in out-of-town shopping centres but unless you're logged in , you may be disconnected after 15mins.
Hi Eric - I am still waiting for a delivery date for my EV :sleep: .
I have the Pod Point "App" and they have sent me an RFID card.
It did take almost 4 months from my request to actually getting the card, but that's another story !.
At a large shopping centre about 15 miles away from our home address there is two "Pod Point" A/C fast charging posts available to use while shopping.
The first one is at the car park of M&S and is a simple "Plug & Play" post.
No "App" or RFID card required, brilliant & easy !.
The second ( and newer unit ) about 1 mile away, requires you to verify with the "App" in 15 mins or you will be returning to your car to find it has received NO charge at all.
I have a question ?.
When using this newer type of post, do you HAVE to use the "App" to keep the juice flowing before 15 mins have pasted, or do these newer post's have the ability to read a RFID card if the mobile signal is poor do you know ???.
Thank you.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I use my Polar Plus a lot as there are plenty of rapids round here installed at Lincs Co-ops and a 7kW post at my work car park that is free to use with the card. It really depends what chargers are available to you on likely routes. I started with Polar and have since added Electric Highway, Podpoint and Alfa Power apps when these had chargers that suited particular journeys that I needed to make.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have found ’Abetter route planner‘ web app very useful for planning longer journeys. It can take all sorts of variables into account,

·
Registered
756 Posts
What counts as a "customer", I wonder?
Arguably, buying electricity from them would make you a customer. :devilish: However, if you want to make absolutely certain, you could buy one banana for approx 10p or lash out and buy a packet of sandwiches for 85p. But I'm sure they'd be even happier if you bought a week's groceries whilst you were there.

·
Registered
756 Posts
When using this newer type of post, do you HAVE to use the "App" to keep the juice flowing before 15 mins have pasted, or do these newer post's have the ability to read a RFID card if the mobile signal is poor do you know ???.
Thank you.
I'd tend to agree with JeffG that their RFID cards are pretty well obsolete so only alternatives would be to use app, use website or unplug after 15mins and plug in afresh. However, even in a very bad signal area you might be able to find a better signal or a WiFi hotspot before your 15 mins are up.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Arguably, buying electricity from them would make you a customer. :devilish: However, if you want to make absolutely certain, you could buy one banana for approx 10p or lash out and buy a packet of sandwiches for 85p. But I'm sure they'd be even happier if you bought a week's groceries whilst you were there.
Nah. I'll be on my way to have lunch with relatives, so no sandwich! Maybe a bottle of wine :) (But not to drink while I'm charging!)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I'd tend to agree with JeffG that their RFID cards are pretty well obsolete so only alternatives would be to use app, use website or unplug after 15mins and plug in afresh. However, even in a very bad signal area you might be able to find a better signal or a WiFi hotspot before your 15 mins are up.
Thanks for the info !.
It all appears to be a little "Heath Robinson" to me.
I hear people complaining that the "Polar Instant" App is not that great and is very "Hit and Miss" - but if you upgrade to their paid subscription service, they send you a RFID card that works in almost all cases !.
So the card is a better and safer bet, yet Pod Point has ditched it in favour of the App system. :unsure:

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
If I understand PodPoint's web site correctly, the 15-minute thing only applies to their 7kW AC posts. It says on the web site full instructions that charging on a rapid will only start when you confirm the charge on the app.

@Carty I've found that the latest version of the Polar Instant app works just fine, and since they changed the pricing structure it's a lot cheaper (25p/kWh) than paying a monthly subscription unless you are using them frequently i.e. several times a week.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
If I understand PodPoint's web site correctly, the 15-minute thing only applies to their 7kW AC posts. It says on the web site full instructions that charging on a rapid will only start when you confirm the charge on the app.

@Carty I've found that the latest version of the Polar Instant app works just fine, and since they changed the pricing structure it's a lot cheaper (25p/kWh) than paying a monthly subscription unless you are using them frequently i.e. several times a week.
Thank you for the info !.
Polar have fitted a rapid charger on the car park of a hotel ( only about 2 months ago ) it is only 3 miles from my home address via a shortcut through a country lane !.
When my EV arrives I will be charging from home, but it is really handy to have a new rapid almost on my door step should I need a fast turn around charge !.
I fancy the idea of having RFID card, but not paying the subscription charges every month in order to get one !.
It would not be cost effective for me.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts