Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a Renault Zoe Dynamic Nav 2015. I believe it is a R240. Apparently there are some charge points near me that are 22kw 32A Type2 mennekes. Can I use them? I’ve not used public charge points for several years. But now don’t have a charger at home. Any advice on how to register to use them? would appreciate any help. Thanks

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,670 Posts
Hi I have a Renault Zoe Dynamic Nav 2015. I believe it is a R240. Apparently there are some charge points near me that are 22kw 32A Type2 mennekes. Can I use them? I’ve not used public charge points for several years. But now don’t have a charger at home. Any advice on how to register to use them? would appreciate any help. Thanks
Just go on Zap Map. Anything that has the Type 2 connector that isn't a Tesla Supercharger will work just fine with your car. Since it's a R240 it will charge at a max rate of 22kW. You can also plug into the 43kW ones too, but will still not get more than 22 out of it.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Any advice on registering to use a charge point depends on the network.
What are the brands of charger you intend to use, where are you located?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Make sure you have a charged smart phone with you. Most of the chargers you encounter will either work with a credit / debit card or an app. There are a few which will require an RFID card supplied by the operator. When you're going on a longer trip it's worth spending a few minutes planning your journey with Zap-map.com which has a map of charge points nationally and you can filter them for the power and connector type. If you click on charging points it gives you the exact address, the pricing and information on what payment it will require. Some chargers such as BP pulse have monthly subscription options, then charge less per unit, but you need to work out if you will use them enough to get any savings.

Follow the instructions on the chargers to the letter and only plug in the car when it tells you to. Some chargers get upset if you connect the car before they want you to, and sometimes the car will throw the toys out of the pram if it's been plugged in for too long before the charger turns the current on. 43kW chargers will have a captive lead and 22kW or below will generally want you to use your lead. The high power cables are heavy and it's sometimes helpful to hold the weight of the cable while the charger first establishes a connection to the car. The signalling pins of a type 2 connector are the top 2 smaller ones and the weight tends to lever the top of the connector out a bit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your advice on this. Really helpful. I did have the home charger I had removed from a previous property but finding it hard to find an electrician who wants to to install it on a new property. There are a lot of charge points nearby so your advice is really helpful. Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts