Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased the Ohme charger and am looking to fit a 32amp commando socket. The socket will be mounted on an outside wall of a house. I was looking at the below, but it is only rated for IP44:

Not sure if IP44 will be enough on an outside wall of a house? Also is the commando socket a fully rainproof design? If I plug the Ohme cable into the socket and then plug into the car, will it be okay in heavy rain?

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
Do you mean famatel 3232B6, shown at link below? Problem is it is out of stock

Yeah that was the one and it was in stock earlier :) Although to be honest, I have no idea if its the right sort as I went the traditional charger point route due to question marks around the earthing situation using commando sockets for the car. Not saying it's wrong, just I dont know enough :D

·
Registered
961 Posts
Reactions: finchlean

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
743 Posts

I’ve used one of these for 18 months with no problems at all.

It’s survived torrential rain many times, there is no load on it when it’s plugged in or unplugged, £11.29 and works just fine!

Don’t really see the point in an interlocked 3 pole connector when it’s connected to an RCBO, If there were ever a problem it would disconnect instantly.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
View attachment 139803
I’ve used one of these for 18 months with no problems at all.

It’s survived torrential rain many times, there is no load on it when it’s plugged in or unplugged, £11.29 and works just fine!

Don’t really see the point in an interlocked 3 pole connector when it’s connected to an RCBO, If there were ever a problem it would disconnect instantly.

An interlocked socket would be safer...and not rely on a secondary protective device

·
Registered
743 Posts
An interlocked socket would be safer...and not rely on a secondary protective device
Unless your stood watching your car charge and witness the exact moment when something starts to go wrong and want to isolate it there isn’t really any advantage of having an interlocked isolator.

No one watches their car charge unless your sat in it at a rapid.

The CeeForm above complies with regs and has an IP rating that’s fine for the job.

I’m not in the habit of pressure washing my car charging point, and if I did it would just trip out.

We’ve all shaken the rain water out of the end of a CHAdeMo or CSS connector at a public charging point when some numpty has abandoned it sunny side up!

We still plug it into the car straight afterwards tho, in wiring regs we trust, RCBO’s are perfectly safe, one might say a little over zealous if anything.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have just purchased the Ohme charger and am looking to fit a 32amp commando socket. The socket will be mounted on an outside wall of a house. I was looking at the below, but it is only rated for IP44:

Not sure if IP44 will be enough on an outside wall of a house? Also is the commando socket a fully rainproof design? If I plug the Ohme cable into the socket and then plug into the car, will it be okay in heavy rain?
What is the rating of the plug on the Ohme cable? Unless it has a locking ring it will be IP44, and the type 2 plug into your car will also be IP44. Likewise you meter box if you have an external meter box.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Unless your stood watching your car charge and witness the exact moment when something starts to go wrong and want to isolate it there isn’t really any advantage of having an interlocked isolator.

No one watches their car charge unless your sat in it at a rapid.

The CeeForm above complies with regs and has an IP rating that’s fine for the job.

I’m not in the habit of pressure washing my car charging point, and if I did it would just trip out.

We’ve all shaken the rain water out of the end of a CHAdeMo or CSS connector at a public charging point when some numpty has abandoned it sunny side up!

We still plug it into the car straight afterwards tho, in wiring regs we trust, RCBO’s are perfectly safe, one might say a little over zealous if anything.
The interlocked function is to stop some poor little kid poking his fingers into the live terminals, have a wee think about this...

·
Registered
743 Posts
The interlocked function is to stop some poor little kid poking his fingers into the live terminals, have a wee think about this...
IP2X (the British standard finger) all connectors must comply, 32a phase and neutral pins in a Commando are only about 4mm wide and the spring cap on it would dumbfound even the most dexterous toddler.

My sons fingers haven’t been slender enough to fit into an aperture that small since he was about 9 months old.

And I certainly didn’t let him crawl round on my driveway at that age, let alone unattended.

·
Registered
656 Posts
IP2X (the British standard finger) all connectors must comply, 32a phase and neutral pins in a Commando are only about 4mm wide and the spring cap on it would dumbfound even the most dexterous toddler.

My sons fingers haven’t been slender enough to fit into an aperture that small since he was about 9 months old.

And I certainly didn’t let him crawl round on my driveway at that age, let alone unattended.
The need for interlock in domestic comes from the wiring regs.

Regulation 553.1.201 : “Every socket-outlet for household and similar use shall be of the shuttered type and, for an AC installation, shall preferably be of a type complying with BS 1363.”

As the commando isn’t shuttered and isn’t to BS1363 the regs aren’t met unless the interlock type is fitted where it can’t be made live unless the plug is in place first.

The tiny extra cost makes the socket itself comply so why not?

It will be flagged if the house has an EICR in future and the regs for car charge circuits apply if it’s ‘intended to supply electric vehicles for charging purposes.....’

·
Registered
743 Posts
the regs for car charge circuits apply if it’s ‘intended to supply electric vehicles for charging purposes.....’
That’s a good point.

I was under the impression that no portable EVSE units complied fully with the regs anyway due to the requirement for an earth rod to be installed now?

I use a portable because I charge at several different addresses, they fit a nice niche for things like that but I guess they are a compromise when it comes to full compliance.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
That’s a good point.

I was under the impression that no portable EVSE units complied fully with the regs anyway due to the requirement for an earth rod to be installed now?

I use a portable because I charge at several different addresses, they fit a nice niche for things like that but I guess they are a compromise when it comes to full compliance.
I don't have a copy of the regs to hand but I think to comply the commando socket should be earthed via an earth rod, or supplied via the same type of protective device as would be used to supply an EVSE (matt-e or similar).

·
Registered
656 Posts
I don't have a copy of the regs to hand but I think to comply the commando socket should be earthed via an earth rod, or supplied via the same type of protective device as would be used to supply an EVSE (matt-e or similar).
Yes that’s true. It’s always a bit of a jigsaw as the regs for sockets require the shuttering (for commando this is addressed by the interlock version); then the PEN fault part either in the box or external or TT; then the type of RCD based on the DC protection requirement (most charge points have this now but still not all) blended with a need to protect the cable to the socket (or not) depending on what that cable is and how it is run. Then the need to add up demand using the diversity rules and either notify or request the DNO (after checking for a looped supply).

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
The need for interlock in domestic comes from the wiring regs.

Regulation 553.1.201 : “Every socket-outlet for household and similar use shall be of the shuttered type and, for an AC installation, shall preferably be of a type complying with BS 1363.”

As the commando isn’t shuttered and isn’t to BS1363 the regs aren’t met unless the interlock type is fitted where it can’t be made live unless the plug is in place first.

The tiny extra cost makes the socket itself comply so why not?

It will be flagged if the house has an EICR in future and the regs for car charge circuits apply if it’s ‘intended to supply electric vehicles for charging purposes.....’
Yes, there are no prizes for saving a couple of quid and installing non compliant equipment, regardless of the size of ones childrens fingers!

·
Registered
961 Posts
It doesn't say must be. It says "shall preferably be". There is a difference. It is a guideline not mandatory.
No, unless it's been misquoted it says "shall be shuttered". The preferably bit is compliance to BS1363. I really don't see why anyone would object to this. Many regulations are nonsense but this really is sensible.

Reactions: freddym
1 - 20 of 60 Posts