Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What dashcam do people have and, maybe more to the point, where have you placed it on the screen? I was intending to use a Garmin Mini dashcam as it seems to be the most discrete one that I could find. However it is not nearly as discrete as I thought it would be because of the difficulty of positioning it in an unobtrusive place. The root of the problem is that, because of the way it is constructed, the lens has to sit back from the windscreen and, given its wide(ish) FOV, unless it is placed in the direct eyeline of the passenger (or, worse, the driver) a large proportion of the view is taken up by either the front pillar or the large black plastic cover in front of the read view mirror. Fortunately I can use it in my wife's Up! so it will not be a wasted investment but I'm going to need to get something else. At the moment I'm considering either a barrel type dashcam such as the DDPai Mini or a wedge type such as the VioFo A119.

What do others have and, importantly, where have you placed it on the screen?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Don't have one yet, but I've been eyeing up these clip-on rear view mirror ones lately. I just wish cars had USB power sockets in the courtesy light cluster for them.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've got the viofo a129 duo
Seems pretty good
The app is s bit clunky but can't fault the camera

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got the viofo a129 duo
Seems pretty good
The app is s bit clunky but can't fault the camera

Only really interested in the front camera. Where have you placed it and does the central black cover intrude at all? (Photo would be really helpful).

·
Registered
322 Posts
Pretty sure you can get just the front camera.
Although if this was a couple of months ago might have had one going cheap (had to buy a replacement rear camera when mine for nicked)

I've mounted it on the passenger side of the rear view.

I'll get some pics when I get home and try and get a screenshot of the video

·
Registered
94 Posts
Pretty sure you can get just the front camera.
Although if this was a couple of months ago might have had one going cheap (had to buy a replacement rear camera when mine for nicked)

I've mounted it on the passenger side of the rear view.

I'll get some pics when I get home and try and get a screenshot of the video

Didn't you get footage of the thief?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
322 Posts
Didn't you get footage of the thief?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sadly no
I hadn't found a live feed for parking mode & the rear camera was still in the box in the beach of the car.

Having seen footage taken while I was loading luggage into the car if it had been set up I would have had a super clear shot of them opening the boot

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ok
Here are a couple of pics showing the location and what it looks like from the outside.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok
Here are a couple of pics showing the location and what it looks like from the outside.

Thanks. Is that mounted using the GPS module? Also is it mounted that far away from the black plastic cover to avoid that getting in the view or because of the connector? (I'm interested to know how high you can mount the camera and how close to the black cover you can get it.)

·
Registered
322 Posts
The gap from the head liner to the top of the GPS unit is about 1/1.5cm
It's a little too high in that the cable for the rear camera is tight on the liner.
Gap between the camera and the black plastic trim is about 2-3 cm I think that was due to the cables and having space to clip it off the GPS.

About to go and pick up the wife so if I have time while I'm waiting it see how close to the trim I can get it

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ok so I can't get it flush without tiling it, the rear camera cable is to tight. But basically it needs about a finger gap, if it's over the black dots it can see them

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
VioFo A119
I've got this one on the i3. Pretty discrete and I managed to mount it up behind the sun visor. I do get a bit of glare and it's not exactly the height of HD capability but I find all cameras are a bit like that in moving vehicles.

The good bit is with the separate stick on GPS mount, you can leave the power supply in place and just pull off the camera if you need to remove it. Personally I just leave it there all the time these days. If it's close to the mirror, it's pretty hard to spot and I don't park anywhere dodgy anyway. There is vertical adjustment and a cheap UV filter but no horizontal adjustment so you have to stick it on in the right horizontal orientation.

Ran the USB cable along the front of the headlining, down behind the A pillar trim, into the dash under the steering wheel then you either pick up a switched live or plug into a ciggy socket.

If you can wait a month and my car is on the next ship, I will fit it and photograph it (y) ;)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Based on what @Gif and @Grant_H have said I've gone ahead and ordered one. I'll move the Garmin to my wife's car (or just maybe stick it on the back window). FYI I rooted the power lead from the Garmin down through the passenger A pillar, under the passenger carpet, along the side of the passenger seat and plugged it into the usb port in the central console. That was far neater than using the cigarette adapter because it would have meant that the plastic cover sticking out and was in danger of getting broken. At some point I guess I'll have to wire it into the fuse box but that can wait until later. Thanks, both, for your comments.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts