Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was the year that VW changed the GTE? also what are the differences between the older model and the newer model?.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The digital instrument display springs to mind.
I've had my 2018 GTE 3 weeks now & I still can't find the radio/mp3 mute button that my 2012 Mk6 Tdi had. :confused:

·
Registered
44 Posts
wish I had those mk7 alloys on my 7.5 though - can't see why they fitted such large wheels to a chassis that clearly can't contain the weight of the GTE

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,134 Posts
wish I had those mk7 alloys on my 7.5 though - can't see why they fitted such large wheels to a chassis that clearly can't contain the weight of the GTE
I put 16" wheels on mine for 4/5 months in and around winter, and much prefer the drive/comfort they provide over the 18"s.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is good news, buying an 18 plate with 17" wheels and was thinking of putting 18's on. Now that you mention a better ride with the smaller wheels I shall keep it that way.. cheaper tyres too.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
The Mk7.5 gets an updated head unit with touch buttons and a larger screen, compared to the Mk7 which had physical buttons either side of the screen to control it.

Headlights and tail lights are slightly updated and more angular with different bumpers. Not too sure if mk7 had them, but definitely puddle lights under the mirrors on the 7.5.

Not too sure of any GTE specific changes between the two, either in terms of styling or powertrain.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Early 2015 models had no access to the phone "App" and it can not be retro refitted either.
My 2015 model was a X Demo / Showroom model, it had some nice extra features included like the Discovery Pro larger head unit, keyless entry and winter pack that included heated front seats.
I do recommend this feature, quick to warm up the seats and saves on HV battery range.
The early models 2015 and some 2016 models had the extra function of the "Battery Hold" function.
This gives the driver direct control over how and when to use the energy in the HV pack.
One of the best features on the car I.M.H.O.
Some time in 2016 VW decided to remove this "Battery hold" function for some strange reason, then when the 7.5 model was released, it was returned to the car !.
I think the power train on 2015 - 2019 cars where the same.
Digital dash panel was a nice extra on the later models.
Mk 8 GTE has received a lot more updates / improvements including a power increase and a slightly bigger HV battery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Early 2015 models had no access to the phone "App" and it can not be retro refitted either.
My 2015 model was an X Demo / Showroom model, it had some nice extra features included like the Discovery Pro larger head unit, keyless entry and winter pack that included heated front seats.
I do recommend this feature, quick to warm up the seats and saves on HV battery range.
The early models 2015 and some 2016 models had the extra function of the "Battery Hold" function.
This gives the driver direct control over how and when to use the energy in the HV pack.
One of the best features on the car I.M.H.O.
Some time in 2016 VW decided to remove this "Battery hold" function for some strange reason, then when the 7.5 model was released, it was returned to the car !.
I think the power train on 2015 - 2019 cars were the same.
Digital dash panel was a nice extra on the later models.
Mk 8 GTE has received a lot more updates / improvements including a power increase and a slightly bigger HV battery.
Thanks for all that information appreciated. Moved on now, I have decided to go for the 2017 7.5 model, thought I would be better off paying just a little bit more and getting a 2 year VW warranty.
What size wheels do you have, the car? I car am buying has 17" but I was thinking of putting on 18". Do you have any experience with 18" wheels on a GTE?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Thanks for all that information appreciated. Moved on now, I have decided to go for the 2017 7.5 model, thought I would be better off paying just a little bit more and getting a 2 year VW warranty.
What size wheels do you have, the car? I car am buying has 17" but I was thinking of putting on 18". Do you have any experience with 18" wheels on a GTE?
The GTE is generally fitted with 18" wheels and tyres as standard, so I think these MAY have been switched out.
To be totally honest, I would stick with the 17" set up.
I have had most of the Golf models over the years, that have been fitted with everything from 15" to 18" combo's.
If you are looking for a softer ride and less road noise, you could consider ( like many owners have ) to fit an X e.golf set up on a 16"combo.
These don't look great, but give a much better ride and increase the efficiency of the range also.
18" will LOOK the best on the car, but you get an increased road noise and the ride is very firm.
My Mk 7 ACT GT had the 17" combo and it was a fantastic compromise I.M.H.O.
The tyre choice is important also, the GTE tends to be fitted with Bridgestone's that are utter pants !.
They are hard and lose traction very quickly and are extremely noisy with regards to road noise in the cabin.
Trust me, you already have the best set up on 17"s.
Stick with it !.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is good news, buying an 18 plate with 17" wheels and was thinking of putting 18's on. Now that you mention a better ride with the smaller wheels I shall keep it that way.. cheaper tyres too.
Changed my mind for the final time, I am not a proud owner of a 2020 plate GTE Advance, I suspect it is the last of the 7.5 not quite an 8 models. It comes with 18" wheels as standard. Very happy with this car and more than happy that I went for the Advance model.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Changed my mind for the final time, I am not a proud owner of a 2020 plate GTE Advance, I suspect it is the last of the 7.5 not quite an 8 models. It comes with 18" wheels as standard. Very happy with this car and more than happy that I went for the Advance model.
I put 18's on my 2018 7.5, the difference in ride quality is unnoticeable. I went from the std Dunlops to Goodyear Efficient.
3 advantages in my opinion, look a lot better, the clearance between the caliper & wheel is greater so I can clean the insides a lot easier & that little channel running around the rim & behind the spokes is no longer there to collect water every time it rains or you wash the car!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts