Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I’m getting a Kona Premium SE in a few weeks via Onto to replace my current i3, so obviously starting in earnest now reading up and watching all the YouTube videos I can possibly find!

I’d be interested to learn what existing Kona drivers think I should know.....anything you wish you knew when you first got yours, but maybe didn’t discover until later on.....any best practice measures I should follow......any general tips or tricks that aren’t obvious to new Kona drivers... etc etc etc!

One immediate question I have is can the car be preconditioned on battery power alone, and if so is there any SoC threshold below which it won’t precondition?

Many thanks! 🙏

·
Registered
166 Posts
It depends on which country you're in with what features the car comes.

Country specific is usually battery heater, heat pump, bluelink, welcome mirrors, front parking sensors ... That's all I can think of right now.

One thing is, for everyday use, keep the battery state of charge between 80-20 percent or so. If you're out for a longer road trip charging to 100% is no problem. Just don't let the car sit around for days with the battery SOC at 100% or lower than about 20%.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You are correct, UG - my Aug 20 model will preheat on battery only - but eventually shuts back down if you leave it too long.
At this time of year don`t get hung up on miles/Kw - it will get much better in 6 months time (when warmer). ANd they are cheap Kw anyway!
Enjoy the car and drive it as normal for a while - then explore the many, many screens and readouts which can provide may hours of pointless fun.
My favourite is the page showing percentage of power used for the motor, electronics, heater and battery conditioning. Why did we need to know this??

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hi all,

I’m getting a Kona Premium SE in a few weeks via Onto, so obviously starting in earnest now reading up and watching all the YouTube videos I can possibly find!

I’d be interested to learn what existing Kona drivers think I should know.....anything you wish you knew when you first got yours, but maybe didn’t discover until later on.....any best practice measures I should follow......any general tips or tricks that aren’t obvious to new Kona drivers... etc etc etc!

One immediate question I have is can the car be preconditioned on battery power alone, and if so is there any SoC threshold below which it won’t precondition?

Many thanks! 🙏
You might find some of this thread informative So... hit me with your apps, tips and warnings

·
Registered
859 Posts
One thing is, for everyday use, keep the battery state of charge between 80-20 percent or so. If you're out for a longer road trip charging to 100% is no problem. Just don't let the car sit around for days with the battery SOC at 100% or lower than about 20%.
Often wonder where this idea comes from - I do not think the manual mentions anything like this other than not to use Rapid chargers too frequently.

·
Registered
2019 Kona 65Kw 2017 Outlander phev gx4hs
586 Posts
When you get it you will be delighted at how fast it is, do some charging when you dont need too so you know what to do when you do need to.

I have had one for 18 months (it just happens to be in the garage at the moment) and i can say you will be delighted but at the end of the day they are just cars economical cars that are brilliant.
But in a few short they will be mainstream. but just be prepared to enjoy it they are superb cars

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Overall a fantastic car. The only thing I can think of that I wasn’t really expecting was that the radar responsible for smart cruise can go AWOL in bad weather. It’s happened to us 4 times. Each time it was on a motorway and chucking it down with rain. Suddenly loads of warning lights came on and the cruise disengaged. A bit alarming but probably shouldn’t have been using cruise in those conditions anyway.

The only other point was the poor grip of the OEM Nexens in wet weather but I think the new cars may have different tyres.

Oh and it’s the first EV we have had that we can just drive normally and not worry about range anxiety. We also haven’t worried about charging to a certain % and after 40k miles it doesn’t seem to have had any impact.

·
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
593 Posts
Often wonder where this idea comes from - I do not think the manual mentions anything like this other than not to use Rapid chargers too frequently.
It's just the characteristics of lithium ion batteries. There is a buffer built into the battery pack to mitigate some degredation. If you are leasing the car, don't worry about it. If you are keeping the car for a long time like I intend to, avoid regular deep charge-discharge cycles.

·
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my Aug 20 model will preheat on battery only - but eventually shuts back down if you leave it too long.
Thanks, sounds like probably similar behaviour to my i3 then I think.

Did your August car come with Michelin Primacy 4 tyres?

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
RTFM.
It's a slog but it's the only way you will be aware of a lot of features since few owners bother to read it and thus never mention them ... on top of the year to year variations in equipment, etc.

·
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RTFM.
It's a slog but it's the only way you will be aware of a lot of features since few owners bother to read it and thus never mention them ... on top of the year to year variations in equipment, etc.
Yeah that is something I always do with everything (even mundane stuff)! I think I’ve already got it downloaded somewhere so will read through next week sometime with a nice glass of something!

·
Registered
35 Posts
RTFM.
In defence of the OP, there are some issues, like the iffy boot closing, which aren't covered by the manual.
Kind owners offering assistance, hints/tips/fixes, based on their own experience can prove invaluable.

·
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In defence of the OP, there are some issues, like the iffy boot closing, which aren't covered by the manual.
Kind owners offering assistance, hints/tips/fixes, based on their own experience can prove invaluable.
Yeah I agree with that too. Definitely, reading the manual is a must for me for just about everything I use, but also there are often things which are omitted from manuals. With the i3, for example, there are absolutely some features/foibles that I could now teach new i3 drivers about that they wouldn’t learn from the manual and may not discover themselves for some time. (y)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did your August car come with Michelin Primacy 4 tyres?
No, it had Nexens on, until 3 weeks ago and now has Michelin all seasons on. I am up in the hills and have a steep driveway. I normally fit full winter tyres to my cars (including my Land Rover + chains if really necessary!), but couldn`t find sensible spare rims for the Kona for sale (+ I would loose the TPMS system) so (after recommendations on this forum) went for all season tyres and intend leaving them on all year round - then I will put the Nexens back on when the car goes back (it`s on a 3 year lease).
I don`t think the Nexens are as bad as they seem - I never had a problem with cornering or braking - but they just seemed unable to cope with the torque under acceleration and spun up too easily.

·
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don`t think the Nexens are as bad as they seem - I never had a problem with cornering or braking - but they just seemed unable to cope with the torque under acceleration and spun up too easily.
Thanks - yes, there seems to be differing opinions as to whether or not cars with Primacy 4 tyres fitted drive noticeably better than those with the Nexens.

It also seems to be fairly difficult to work out whether all Konas are now being fitted with Michelins or not - looking on Autotrader there are several ostensibly brand new examples with Nexens fitted, but I guess they could well be cars that were actually manufactured several months ago. I guess it’ll just be a case of waiting and seeing what turns up.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,648 Posts
You are correct, UG - my Aug 20 model will preheat on battery only - but eventually shuts back down if you leave it too long.
[/QUO
Is this only via timer?
I stabbed the button on the app when it was not plugged in and got an error message to check vehicle condition

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Absolutely. But there are people who don't read the manual and then come to the internet asking what/how. The manual should be the starting point (I know, heresy for the average male) and all other tips are bonus.
Of course there are a few bits of the manual that are a bit fuzzy :(

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
93 Posts
On my Jan 2020, 64 Premium SE, preheat switched on from app lasts for 10 minutes and pre-heats seats, steering wheel & cabin, and defrosts front & rear windows and mirrors. I tend to use it just before I leave when temperature is lower than 2C, but the time I am ready to go, perhaps 5 minutes it's very toasty. Thinking about throwing away ice scraper and de-icer.

Reactions: Gadget Geek
1 - 20 of 49 Posts