Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Turning the hazards on when backing out helps. Kinda wish there was a way to make them come on automatically in reverse.
That ought to be simple as many cars auto rear wipe on reverse if front wipers are on. Other option would be like vans and lorries with audible sound on reverse coupled with hazards.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Supermarket car parks you often have two cars behind you right up your back. So no choice but to go in front ways.
So have to agree with that. Everybody is so impatient. I nearly always end up going in frontwards for that reason. Other is if you do reverse in, guaranteed some moron parks in the spot behind so damned close you can’t open the boot and get the shopping into the car, so by default most people park with easy access to the rear, meaning they park frontwards. I used to try and park as far from the shop entrance as possible with as many empty spaces around as could be found. Only to return after shopping to find some moron has parked in the next adjacent spot so damned close you can’t even open the doors! And there was still several empty spaces on either side. Doh. Seems you just can’t expect any common sense these days.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My aunt taught in a prison - the top tip that she was given by the habitual car thieves was "always park nose in". Apparently they were very reluctant to steal cars that required reversing. Less of an issue with modern immobilisers etc., but a comment that stuck with me!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Agree. I usually avoid it these days for safety. Also I have a front facing dashcam so if I reverse into a space it'll catch anyone hitting my car. But there are occasions where you do need to reverse and for that it's helpful.

I've not yet joined the true EV world but I did notice the whole front charging parking thing too. You're right that its a bit of an oversight.
Tesla seem to be the only manuf who have rear flap for charging. And like you not got our first ev yet and seems there are issues with charge flaps whether front, rear or side mounted. Seen many a thread and videos about flaps stuck open, closed, snowed or iced up. Looks like a flap that lifts up might be better as shields connector, but guess you have to live with what ev you finally decide has least set of compromises.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Lots of cars have a rear flap, e.g. the i3. It's the default position for legacy manufacturers more used to fitting petrol filling covers.

Front flaps are the best option. They don't ice up if they are properly sealed.
Guess the i3 and probably egolf, but lots more? Maybe a couple.

Think Tesla Bjorn would disagree with you regarding front flaps from all the videos I have seen.
Not sure there is an ideal way to open and effectively seal easily. Kona and e-Niro have extra covers inside but those should be part of the door. E-tron looks too flashy so may be prone to fail more easily. Front flaps will always be dirty compared to side wing or rear.

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
I always found the front flap on my leaf to be cleaner than the side petrol ports on ICE cars. Maybe the wind and rain clean it, maybe the sides get more stuff thrown up from the road towards the back.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My B250e had the charge point where the fuel nozzle would go, which was fine, apart from the two times the motor opening the flap broke (a design flaw from MB rather than anything EV related).

The freezing of the charge point on the front of the car that Bjorn has shown was worrying, but given UK temperatures rarely match those of Norway, it's not a huge worry. A few seconds with your warm hands (use the heated steering wheel for a boost) on the port should unfreeze the mechanism.

Reactions: burnt_crisps2

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
A few seconds with your warm hands (use the heated steering wheel for a boost) on the port should unfreeze the mechanism.
The power of ones hands... love it
When I was much younger that would work, these days my hand temperature plummets as soon as I touch a cold object. Bet you flap heaters appear soon. Also front radar heaters, etc. Etc. Basically just warm anything in the cold if you want it to work 100% of the time.

Reactions: Paul M
41 - 49 of 49 Posts