Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"We will invest £1 billion in completing a fast-charging network to ensure that everyone is within 30 miles of a rapid electric vehicle charging station. We will consult on the earliest date we can phase out the sale of new conventional petrol and diesel cars, while minimising the impact on drivers and businesses. "

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
It needs to be more like within 10 miles of a rapid. You could phase out non hybrid engines relatively quickly as they still do everything a non hybrid car does where a BEV still doesn't.

·
Registered
525 Posts
How many people are not currently within 30 miles of at least one rapid charger? Outside deepest darkest mid-Wales or Scotland there can't be many. A charger 30 miles away, so a 60 mile round trip of probably around two hours given the rural nature of such places is not very helpful.

On the second point a "commitment" to "consult" is really not a commitment to do anything at all.

At least EVs get a mention, which is better than nothing...

·
Registered
149 Posts
The problem isn't 10 mile so or 30 miles...it's "a" rapid. As discussed previously in other threads, a single charger is no use unless it can be guaranteed available. Ionity-style hubs are needed (this isn't a CCS / Chademo comment, just number of chargers!).

·
Registered
50 Posts
The 1 billion investment in the charging network is much less than the 3.6 billion commitment from the Labour party. Consulting on the phasing out ICE cars is committing to nothing at all - Labour will phase out ICE cars by 2030.

The tory party do not care about climate change and could not even be bothered to turn up to the debate on this subject.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Looking at travelling to Harrow from Birmingham, no double rapid pumps along M40 or in London. Banbury Instavolt has 2 but is a bit close to home. Single ones in London seem congested with taxis. Not suitable for multiple single Rapids.

·
Registered
39 Posts
As an installer of EV Charge Points (Domestic Charge Points and Rapid Chargers), we feel any investment into the Charging Industry would be a needed push towards ensuring everyone has 'easy' access to a rapid/fast charger. I notice there was a mention of availability in 'deepest darkest mid-Wales or Scotland' - we are actively striving to change this and have actually installed several fast and rapid chargers recently on the Isle of Mull (Scotland), in Aviemore (remote Scotland), Inverness (Scotland) and a very remote location in Wales - Porthmadog. Any business or building you feel would be an ideal location for Charge Point Installation please ask them to contact us today on 0113 8155 366.

·
24,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is that an actual manifesto commitment by a particular party, or one you made up as a "nice to have"?
:)

Co-incidentally, it is word-for-word to what is in the Conservative manifesto.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
30 miles is a non starter. 5 is more realistic. Every EV company should have at least one rapid in 5 miles radius like Petrol stations.

If there's a petrol station, there should be a rapid.

·
24,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think we don't need to worry too much about the geographic scale, most people don't really understand the mechanics of EV charging yet (including many EV owners!), more the financial scale.

·
Registered
39 Posts
We are actually rolling out several Rapid Chargers and have already completed some throughout Shell Petrol stations nationwide! Look out for our jobs and tag us on social media! #ProperJobs

·
24,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried the Shell one outside Southam and it was a dismal failure of an experience. Was that one of yours?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Where have they made this commitment?
I got the figure from here http://blog.greenflag.com/2019/general-election-2019/

I can't find it in the manifesto though so not sure where they got it from. The quote from the manifesto is:

"Our transport programme is focused on creating better, publicly accessible local transport systems. By improving public transport, Labour will help people to become less reliant on their cars, for our better health, for a cleaner environment and to improve quality of life in our towns and cities. The Conservatives have committed to ending new sales of combustion engine vehicles by 2040. Labour will aim for 2030.
We will position the UK at the forefront of the development and manufacture of ultra-low emission vehicles and will support their sale. We will invest in electric vehicle charging infrastructure and in electric community car clubs. We will accelerate the transition of our public sector car fleets and our public buses to zero-emissions vehicles."

·
24,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd like to know what they are actually going to do with £3bn if that is right. 100,000 rapids is a good idea, but where are they going to put all those?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I tried the Shell one outside Southam and it was a dismal failure of an experience. Was that one of yours?
Hi Donald, this one is not one that we have installed. Im sorry to hear of your bad experience even though it wasnt caused by us, its still not enjoyable to hear of a fellow EV user having issues. If you would like alternative Rapid chargers in the area please use the following link - https://www.zap-map.com ZapMap is a tool that displays local Charge Points open to public use.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts