Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
For me the transition to EVs is necessary, but it will certainly not be without pain.

The single biggest issue is climate change. Most models show we have been 10-15 years business as usual before we put too much carbon in the atmosphere such that exceeding 1.5C is likely. 15 years isn't long, 10 years is even less, yet we are still making ICE-powered cars. And there is no (practical) way to make ICE-powered cars carbon neutral.

So what do we do? Give up driving? That is obviously not going to be practical for a great deal of the population nor is it politically acceptable. So we need to get people into EVs as soon as possible and the only way to make that practical is by building out a substantial charging network. I believe this would be a valuable investment for the Government to spearhead but would expect the infrastructure to be eventually maintained by private companies competing on price/value/service.

Sadly, we are facing an extinction event, while still driving around in our Range Rovers! The next 20 years on this planet are going to be extremely bad if we don't get our ducks in a row really soon.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
And as the previous poster says, there needs to be provision made for flat dwellers for quicker take-up of EVs. Ideally, everyone needs to be able to charge overnight while at home
That would certainly be ideal, but workplace charging is a very obvious alternative.

I live in a terraced house where I rarely can park on the same road as my house. I'm thinking of changing jobs to doing a 80mile round trip every day with a 41kWh Zoe that can't rapid charge. I was thinking I would have to give up the Zoe, however, I doubt I'll have any issues as the office has 6X 22kWh PodPoint chargers. Whilst I don't get the benefit of really cheap charging (£0.25/kWh), it's still around £70/month cheaper than running an efficient diesel and still get to use the pre-heat function each morning.

I'm hoping I'll be able to cut my costs dramatically with a subscription service like bonnet electric, which would work out at around £0.10/kWh.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sadly, we are facing an extinction event, while still driving around in our Range Rovers! The next 20 years on this planet are going to be extremely bad if we don't get our ducks in a row really soon.
...not as bad as the 20 after that...and there's the problem, needs our politicians to look further than this (or even the next) term of office and think about serving the people's best interests rather than short term popularity. In other news, pig tethering stations will be provided at all council offices lest they drift away in the breeze...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
...not as bad as the 20 after that...and there's the problem, needs our politicians to look further than this (or even the next) term of office and think about serving the people's best interests rather than short term popularity. In other news, pig tethering stations will be provided at all council offices lest they drift away in the breeze...
The big question is whether public money should be used to provide pig tethering stations or whether this should be done by private enterprise.

Also should each provider have his own app or must all pig tethering stations use contactless technology.

It's a whole new can of worms (or policy area as the politicians would say).

·
Registered
8 Posts
What we need is simplicity. Car charging 100 miles from home on rapid chargers doesn’t always go to plan. All chargers with a similar format like cash machines and petrol pumps is the way forward.
Make it easy to use by listening to users. The adoption of CCS did not consult existing users. It’s not perfect and needs a lot of improving.
How you would connect the cable and read screen in a wheelchair is beyond me.
Access for all is needed.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
I don't think using a normal petrol pump is that easy for someone in a wheel chair either. There is no chance of spilling electricity though so it's far less dangerous than trying to fill up with normal fuel!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I really hope that the dogma of "let the free market reign" does not overwhelm the more sensible approach to planning in a coherent manner for the locations, quantities and types of chargers across the UK&NI. I reckon that Scotland has had a better approach so far.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts