Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Do you want an EV to stand out, or would you prefer it blended in?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really enjoying my Leaf but, as I'm on a short 18mth lease thanks to the Electric Avenue trials I'm already looking ahead to what I'll be choosing next.

Personally I'm not enamoured of EVs such as VW's Golf or E-Up. I want my EV to be different to every other ICE car on the road. Now it could be argued that the Leaf isn't anything special, it's design is relatively normal but it is only available as an EV.

For that reason I like what BMW have done with their i3 , similarly I like the design of the Ampera and Volt. All are a varying degrees of 'different'.

Super Moderator
I don't like the way the Leaf looks, the back and sides are ok but the front isn't very attractive. Didn't stop me buying it, but if there had been a different make of car with all the same features and performance next to it for the same price (or even a little more) that looked nicer, I probably would have got that instead. Lucky for Nissan there isn't!

I want my next EV to be a proper ground up designed EV. If that means it looks a bit different that's ok, if it means it looks like a totally normal car (like the Model S) then that is also ok. I imagine the Model E to be something the shape/size/style of the Insignia, and that's good to me.

Leaf lover
I've grown to really like the look of my lovely blue Leaf. As weeks can go by without me seeing another on the roads in Essex I am bit pleased it's different if somewhat plain. But I can't vote on this as my ideal family car line up is, i3 for me, E-up for my wife and the lad the Leaf.

Registered
I want a 200 mile range, 150 amp super charger, 4 seats and a boot big enough for my bike to fit in.
Looks wise, I'm not bothered as I will spend most of my time on the inside :D

Registered
I think this question should actually be aimed more at non EV drivers, your average new car consumer...

I think it is fair to say that at least 75% of the members of this forum are not your average new car consumer.... you/we all have other factors that will have added weight to your decision making process, financial / green / future tech?

I personally think that there should be a mix of 'the norm' and 'futuristic' designed vehicles, however I think that ultimately mass market adoption will be towards cars that are closer to 'the norm'. Most people don't like to be different.

I have always said that I think the Ampera would have been far more successful, if it was just another model of the Insignia! I know it is taken from the Volt, but forgetting that if they had released an Insignia-E or whatever they decided to call it, there would have been one less hurdle in getting customers to consider it.

All my own view and I am sure many would disagree.

Mark

SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
The only way I want my car to stand out is by looking good to me. I can be whilst having 'EV' written all over it or not. Right now, I like the Tesla S and the Ampera's looks.

Administrator
The Ampera just looks like a car to me though, not an EV. It's a nice looking car, but it's hardly space-age or "weird" looking.

The LEAF can look decent with other body kits, but as standard (I have one remember) it has an "only its mother could love it" kind of appeal.

The i3 I really like, the i8 a lot of people like.

The Teslas look like "cars", the Roadster like the Elise and the S looks like many cars, nothing really outstanding (not to say it's not attractive), the X again doesn't really scream "HEY, I'M A TECHY CAR!" from the outside.

I don't really like many car designs these days, and too many manufacturers follow too many trends. Once you have trends, wind tunnels and cost-efficiencies in the mix you seem to end up with a lot of boring look-a-like motors on the road, more's the pity.

Registered
I love the look of the BMW i8, but it's hardly practical. Something like a 5 series estate as electric would be my ideal car. But then volvo tried it with the. V60 plugin, sadly they priced it at Tesla money. And frankly I would take the tesla over the Volvo any day of the week !

Registered
Looks nice. Is it a proper bounce across the fields 4x4, like the shogun, or more of a gently amble around a carpark type of vehicle like the Audi allroad cars ?
Somewhere between the two, but definitely more towards the soft-roader end of the scale. Ground clearance is not that great but it'll replace my X-Trail nicely for the odd bit of boat towing, recovery/launch from beaches and slippery slipways for diving and the pack-the-kitchen sink big family holiday. 90% of the X-Trail's mileage is within 15 miles of home so the limited 32 mile electric range isn't too much of a worry. Adding CHAdeMO as standard is a bit of an odd move IMHO. Nice to pick up some electrons when on the motorway, but I can't see me stopping at every motorway services for 30 min and towing range under electric, well I guess I can forget that! Not to mention the mechanics of getting a charge with a boat trailer on the back... :rolleyes:

Registered
Ford S-Max with battery/motor specced for range rather than performance. 0-60 need be no quicker than 10 seconds. The S-Max and the similarly platformed Mondy estate are cavernous and take my various bows within their cases and all the attendant gear without a seat flip.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts