Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

What do you do at stop lights without auto-hold

6K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  DuracellBunny 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Sorry if this seems like a bit of an odd questions. I'm just wondering what everyone does when waiting at a stop light. Do you keep your foot on the brake, or engage the park mode, or even the EPB (electronic parking brake)?

I'm coming from having a manual transmission with a manual handbrake, and when I come to a stop light where I know I'm gonna be there for a bit, I usually put the car in neutral and engage the handbrake, just to give my left foot a bit of a test. I've driven a few other cars that have an "auto-hold" feature that will keep the normal brake engaged at stop lights until you depress the accelerator pedal. However, I understand the Corsa-e doesn't have such a feature. When I test drove one, I noticed there was a P button on the gear selector lever, and tried using that at stop lights. But, it felt a bit cumbersome having to re-select D mode when the light changed to green. No more cumbersome than my current situation with a manual, but definitely more cumbersome than the auto-hold on other cars. I'm not sure if engaging the EPB would be any better. My main worry with that is that it would put unnecessary wear on the EPB due to it not being its intended use, but I feel like this would be easier as I think the EPB disengages automatically when you accelerate.

I'm also curious how the EPB differs from the park mode. My understanding is that in a conventional automatic, the P mode just locks the transmission so that the car won't go anywhere, but with the Corsa being an EV I'd have thought this would be different. Is the Corsa closer to a normal ICE vehicle when it comes to the transmission - just a drop in replacement of the engine, or is it more akin to a Tesla where the motors are connected directly to the wheels?

Curious what your thoughts are :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I do miss the Auto-hold of my vehicles past, so tend now to keep my foot on the brake.

Sometimes I engage the EPB if it looks like I'll be waiting a while, and/or if my brake lights are illuminating the cabin of the vehicle behind.
The EPB will auto-release with a gentle press of the throttle, as it is designed to do.

Park mode does use a mechanical locking mechanism, which can become apparent on an incline if P is selected and the foot brake released before engaging the EPB.

#3 ·
I find popping the EPB on is the easiest if wait is more than about 10 seconds. It comes off with a prod of the gas pedal so it's no bother. Done that in every EV I've had with an EPB. I think the Leaf might have had auto hold but I never had it on. I prefer to have the handbrake go on when I choose to use it.

P mode is just for when it's actually parked up so it's not worth using at any other time.

#7 ·
Foot on the brake like in any auto in the past.

#10 ·
Alternatively just use ACC if it works down to 0mph. I’d imagine the Corsa will require throttle input to resume though.

To the point about brake lights, I see it differently. If the car in front has its brake lights on in stationary traffic, I know it’s an auto and don’t have to worry about it rolling back into me. If I see brake lights off, I assume it’s a manual and there’s every chance it’ll go backwards instead of forwards when the traffic resumes!

Reactions: Dion Rust
#13 ·
Alternatively just use ACC if it works down to 0mph. I’d imagine the Corsa will require throttle input to resume though.
No ACC on the Corsa-e unfortunately, at least not in the UK. This is what I used to do with my DSG Golf and it worked quite well most of the time. You did have to give it a bit of throttle to get it going though

#11 ·
I always have the auto hold activated in the ZOE, after all it’s just like holding the brake pedal down (does the same job). If you’re there after a certain amount of time the park brake will come on automatically, it’ll then release once you press the accelerator. If you put the park brake on manually you have to release it manually. Not sure if it’s the same in the Corsa? 🤷🏽

#16 ·
Seen enough halfwits on hills in my time 🤣 doesn’t matter how far back you are, they’re rolling the whole way down until something solid stops em

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.