Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I have recently purchased a second hand Nissan Leaf 2015 24kwh and I was looking at the servicing that Nissan supplies. I can see there is a 'Major' and 'Minor' service. Does anyone know what you get for at least a Major service in detail? Do they service the Power Unit too?
Many thanks for your help,
Paul

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Hi there,
I can see there is a 'Major' and 'Minor' service. Does anyone know what you get for at least a Major service in detail? Do they service the Power Unit too?
Not as far as I'm aware. It is commonly acknowledged that the price of the service bears no relationship to the work required. Does the service book not detail what is necessary? Obviously brakes and pollen filters (is there one?). There will be oil in the 'final drive' (single fixed gear/differential) but the main cost will be renewal of roadside recovery and I suspect that there will be a (possibly hidden) charge for telematics renewal. The prices were increased by about £50 for each service a couple of years ago.

But then of course, you've got the engine oil flush and disposal which they seem intent on adding to the bills, and the cost of the lad who washes the car, and the cost of the air freshener .... it all adds up ;-)

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
What do you get for a Leaf service?

Annoyed.

My wife's tank of a diesel Sportage is £99 minor and £199 major.
£149 for a Leaf is just scandalous.

·
Registered
695 Posts
When I bought mine, it was supposed to have had a major service and valet before I collected it.

The following morning after driving it home, I checked the tyre pressures and they were all over the place. The washer bottle was empty and the foot operated "handbrake" goes right down to the floor. The edges of the windows and around door checks were never cleaned. Maybe these things are normal these days??

This leads me to suspect everything! How do I know that they even lifted the bonnet? The transmission oil, coolant and brake fluid is probably the original stuff poured in at the Nissan factory in 2014!

I have been in touch with the dealership and they told me to bring the car back to them (100 mile round trip) and they will re-do the whole service. Last communication was two months ago when I was told one of the staff members will contact me to arrange it.

Methinks it's time for yet another phone call......

I will be doing my own servicing from now on. At least I'll know that it's been done.

Reactions: cah197 and wyx087

·
Registered
482 Posts
I got my used Leaf serviced as part of the deal when I bought it, then 2 years free servicing were included as part of the finance incentive.

Just had the last of those, and it was the major service they did. Now I'm just going to get it Mot'd, and do the brake fluid every 2-3 years. I'll do the pollen filter myself if I feel the need and keep an eye on everything else.

To me, most of the servicing of the Leaf is just checks, much like an Mot. Someone just needs to start doing an EV service and mot combo at a reasonable price and they'd be on to a winner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is really useful thanks. The service books says Major Service in June 2018 and I was wondering what it involved. I was wondering if there was anything special about servicing an electric car i.e. do they check any of the power unit or regenerative brakes. Otherwise, I will use my usual guy who lists in detail everything that is checked and replaced for a full service so you know what you are getting. In between that fluids, filters, bulbs and general maintenance I do myself with my previous cars, I haven't used a dealership and I presume if you are handing over money for a Major Service they should detail to the customer what they get for that. I'll enquire with Nissan and see what I can find out.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have a copy of the H2 check sheet and if you still need it, I can post it here later on today?

There was a lot of things on the check sheet that were definitely not done to mine.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
My new ICE has two years servicing for £158.
So £79 per service with oil, oil filters and air filters involved.
Nissan really need people to rise up and tell them where to stick their Leaf servicing costs.

·
Registered
762 Posts
My new ICE has two years servicing for £158.
So £79 per service with oil, oil filters and air filters involved.
Nissan really need people to rise up and tell them where to stick their Leaf servicing costs.
I would love to, and I have looked at it but there is the worry that it will invalidate the car warranty. People keep banging on about servicing doesn't have to be at a Nissan approved service centre but there is no clear information from Nissan to say what is okay and what is not. I'm not willing to put my warranty at risk given this very unclear information, purely based on what someone else says.

Therefore, I don't like it or Nissan's prices but I will have to suck it up for one more service. After that, my main car warranty runs out and I'll probably revisit the decision given my warranty then drops down to the battery/motor warranty only. I'm not gonna get myself tied in with Nissan servicing for the next 6 years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts