Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
I try not to kill time. Start the charge, go off to do something else that I needed/wanted to anyway, come back when sufficiently charged, then leave.

If talking specifically about public rapid charging, then, as a relatively new EV driver, I still find it entertaining, almost magical, watching the graphics showing the charge going up so quickly. Don't judge me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That would be going on holiday so 40-50 minutes on a fast charger, dog needs a walk, get a few provisions, coffee break and toilets. That might also include 10 minutes going to the Plan B charger which is always close by. It's almost exactly the same routine when we had an ICE.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That would be going on holiday so 40-50 minutes on a fast charger, dog needs a walk, get a few provisions, coffee break and toilets. That might also include 10 minutes going to the Plan B charger which is always close by. It's almost exactly the same routine when we had an ICE.
Oh yes, and talking to other EV drivers and people passing by interested in EVs on practically every occasion using public charging

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
If talking specifically about public rapid charging, then, as a relatively new EV driver, I still find it entertaining, almost magical, watching the graphics showing the charge going up so quickly. Don't judge me.
In my Leaf, quickly is not a word I would associate :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
798 Posts
How long you normally will spend at a public charging point? What do you normally do to kill your time while waiting for charging?
Eat.
And drink.
And pee.

If I am totally stuck I have a kindle fire buried on permanent charge under my rear mats. One of the 2 I got as a pressie from Kia. I can tether it to my phone and watch Netflix.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,392 Posts
I hear in Stirling they like to go dogging. 🤭

Reactions: sungrad

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
If I'm stuck in the car during a rapid charge, watch Youtube... yeah, I'm sad.. :LOL: Mind you most of my rapid charges only last about 15 minutes maybe 20 at the most, and typically aren't near facilities so there's not much else to do...

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,968 Posts
In mine, a 62, actually I would. I was surprised. Since 'rapidgate', Nissan now very much under promise and over deliver. For the first rapid charge of the day, anyway: I've needed no more so far.

It's all relative though. I'm sure a 350 kW-charging Taycan would be another world.
Yep, on the BP Ultra rapid, just under 1kwh per minute, so 30mins is just right for dog, loos, food and emails.

If I am on a 50kw charger, Britbox comes in handy (Spitting Image etc)

·
Registered
Kona64
1,874 Posts
Obviously in the first 5 mins you sit/stand there amazed the darn thing is finally working

Then you nervously lock the car expecting then the charge point to explode / the car to explode / a THUNK and charging to stop

If not, your heart rate descends down and you go do some of the above mentioned things, trying hard not to be stung by the high prices of the facilities right by the charge point.
#Lidl_excluded

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
If I'm on a longish trip with more than one 20 minute top-up, I make sure I've got my latest book with me. Sometimes the charging sessions are too short ( if the book is good). Also it's nice to be looking a typeface and paper and not a screen.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,968 Posts
Obviously in the first 5 mins you sit/stand there amazed the darn thing is finally working

Then you nervously lock the car expecting then the charge point to explode / the car to explode / a THUNK and charging to stop

If not, your heart rate descends down and you go do some of the above mentioned things, trying hard not to be stung by the high prices of the facilities right by the charge point.
#Lidl_excluded
You might but not us with our trusty Leafs!;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts