Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
ID.4 Life Pure
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could pick 3 things of Likely, Possible, I wish.. What would they be?

Likely - All existing Gridserve sites expanded to 4-8 chargers with bays allowing the dual charging properly.

Possible - Major expansion of sites outside of motorways onto A roads, spaced to fit all destinations.

I wish - A partnership with someone like Asda to install Ultra Rapid chargers at sites nationwide with 4-8 chargers, like what Electrify America has done with Walmart.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Likely - All existing Gridserve sites expanded to 4-8 chargers with bays allowing the dual charging properly.
Not very likely at all.
There are plenty of locations where they can't do this at all, either because of power limitations, parking space allowance limitations, or contractual limitations that won't allow them to add more to a location.

Remember that EH only really has a significant deal with Moto these days. The others have expired and now started to do their own things. Hence Welcome Break starting to host Tesla, Instavolt and Ionity.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,508 Posts
Likely
Recap of what they’ve already done/are currently doing. News & updates on Norwich, Uckfield etc.

Possible
News/early details about future plans for expansion of high power charging on the motorways.

I wish
Confirmed date early next year for rollout of at least 10x 350kW chargers at MSAs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Recap of what they’ve already done/are currently doing. News & updates on Norwich, Uckfield etc.
Agreed here. They're likely offering a completion date for swapping out old motorway service chargers for the newer, higher power units (I think previously they said by end of summer 2021, which, as that's technically 21st September looks doable). I also think they'll give a window for completion for the Norwich forecourt site. Maybe they'll give us some data on the Braintree site - amount of kwh delivered, number of vehicles served, average stall occupancy etc etc.

Beyond this I'd like to see something a little dull like a roadmap. Essentially something that gives an idea of the next few forecourt locations, when they're likely to open etc, as well as which MSAs will get Rugby style 350kw chargers and when.

My 'dream' would be a commitment to installing a bunch (absolute minimum 6) 350kw chargers at every MSA by the end of 2022. Very, very ambitious but possibly doable. Possibly.

·
3,508 Posts
10x motorway hubs open by the end of this year.

“between six and 12 350kW ultra-rapid charging points at each site.”

“10 of these Gridserve Electric Hubs are expected to be open by the end of 2021, at locations including Reading, Thurrock, Exeter and Cornwall. They'll eventually be located across the UK’s motorway network, with the project expected to attract over £100m of investment. The inaugural Electric Hub opened in April 2021 at Rugby services near Coventry, with 12 Gridserve chargers alongside 12 Tesla Superchargers.

·
3,508 Posts

·
3,508 Posts

·
3,508 Posts
I wish
Confirmed date early next year for rollout of at least 10x 350kW chargers at MSAs.
10 of these with at least 6x 350kW by the end of this year would be a very good effort by Gridserve!

·
Registered
ID.4 Life Pure
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
50 locations of 350kW is definitely more than I was expecting. They must have already consulted with the power companies to know this should be possible. Hopefully they can stay on track and next summer should be a very different charging experience.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,740 Posts
50 locations of 350kW is definitely more than I was expecting. They must have already consulted with the power companies to know this should be possible. Hopefully they can stay on track and next summer should be a very different charging experience.
There was an announcement by OFGEM a few weeks ago, allocating £300m to reinforce supplies to MSAs & trunk road hubs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
10 of these with at least 6x 350kW by the end of this year would be a very good effort by Gridserve!
Totally agreed - and better progress than I thought!

Tesla has a supercharger location for Exeter MSA marked as a Q4 opening. I wonder if it'll be a combo Supercharger/Gridserve location. It'll also reduce demand on the Ionity chargers at collumpton.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Brilliant stuff, I hope Gridserve will also start working hard with Journalists to drive more articles about the motorway charging experience - in the past there seemed to be quite a few which played on buyers fears of slow charging or even chargers that didn't work, what should be a much more reliable and easy to use network may push more to pick up their first EV

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
415 Posts
I doubt they will literally be able to do 6 x 350kW at once. There'll be a smaller power limit for the whole location, and they will throttle when needed to keep under it. That won't happen often because many cars draw less than 100kW for most or all of their charging curve.

I expect they will also install local renewable power generation and battery storage to reduce the load on the grid. The Braintree forecourt has a nearby solar farm and on site batteries that contribute heavily (and profitably) to grid balancing.

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2 - 2020
349 Posts
I wish: 43kW AC 😢
An honest question ... on a 22kWh Zoe (or 41kWh?) how long would it charge for at 43kW's?

If they are installing a load of 22kW's and after 30% the charge dropped to 22kW's anyway wouldn't the lose be very minor? Or did it maintain that 43kW's to 80%? For the record I know nothing about early car's that would use the 43kW's AC.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
An honest question ... on a 22kWh Zoe (or 41kWh?) how long would it charge for at 43kW's?

If they are installing a load of 22kW's and after 30% the charge dropped to 22kW's anyway wouldn't the lose be very minor? Or did it maintain that 43kW's to 80%? For the record I know nothing about early car's that would use the 43kW's AC.
The Q90 Zoe will stay above 22kW until around 70%, IF conditions are ideal. If you don't plug in with a low SOC and a warm battery it will be slower. The earlier Q210 charged faster than this too, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
Zoe Q90
158 Posts

The Q90 Zoe will stay above 22kW until around 70%, IF conditions are ideal. If you don't plug in with a low SOC and a warm battery it will be slower. The earlier Q210 charged faster than this too, if I remember correctly.
Yeah, I guess you’d probably be saving half an hour with the Q90 and 20 minutes with the older Q210 on a typical charge.

To be honest if there are a bank of 22kW chargers that are always working and available then it makes up for the slower charge rate. We probably wasted about an hour on our trip home from Pembrokeshire to Manchester last weekend trying to find working chargers…

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yeah, I guess you’d probably be saving half an hour with the Q90 and 20 minutes with the older Q210 on a typical charge.

To be honest if there are a bank of 22kW chargers that are always working and available then it makes up for the slower charge rate. We probably wasted about an hour on our trip home from Pembrokeshire to Manchester last weekend trying to find working chargers…
I've plugged my Zoe into the AC when no CCS was available... it's a very handy backup, and even at 22kW charged a lot quicker than I expected.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts