Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,155 Posts
Yup. It is in essence a big box on the left and a bit on the top side of the actual motor of the R240 and R90 models. Search for PEC in this forum and you will find pretty pictures.

Sales Alert re 2017 Zoe

The box houses all power electronics. It is bolted onto the motor, both mechanically as well as electrically, and has connectors to the battery, charger receptacle, 12 volt bus, control lines, airco compressor and what not.

The Q models do not have a PEC. The same functionality is provided by two boxes on top of the motor called the PEB (which houses the inverter and DC/DC converter to the 12 volt bus), and the BCB, housing the charger and the 400 volt distribution bus.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. There was me trying to inform myself before the dealer told me what needed to be replaced on my car. Alas no. Yes it is full of logged faults but, no, they cant replicate any. Typical.
Could it be that clearing a persistently repeating "STOP electric failure" is enough to stop it reoccuring, assuming it was spurious?

·
4,155 Posts
You have to pardon me, here language evades me. "persistently repeating" seems a contradiction (to me!) with "assuming it was spurious". But maybe I digress.

Let me put it this way (and this is NOT from a car mechanic, let alone a Renault EV mechanic, I am just a technically interested amateur): an error status can put certain systems in degraded mode and that again can lea to all sorts of more or less unsuspected behavior. Assuming for a second there is indeed not something horribly broken: things do happen, computers have their issues, there is bugs in every literally piece of software, and sometimes simply clearing faults does indeed solve it. Compare with rebooting your PC. I do understand the frustration by both the owner as well as the mechanic (assuming he's worth his salt).

Having said that, the fact that a dealership cannot repeat the faults is no reason to not take the logs that the car has created itself. A log is not there for just the heck of it. For a serious error like this, I personally would insist on a printout of the logs before the errors are cleared. At least it would give you an "audit trail" for if/when it happens again.

Mild sidenote: I once visited Renault (not the dealership, but the country office) and they pulled up the status of my own car for kicks an it showed all (?) the log entries of the car. Unfortunately I don't know (and I didn't ask, silly me), if these logs had been sent to their "Big Brother" system by the car itself, or by the dealer's CLIP system as they plug it into the car. Speculation mode: My suspicion is the latter. And if that is true, a mechanic can probably simply clear the logs without doing a proper diagnostic/worksheet using the central systems. I'd happily stand corrected though.

EDIT: If they want to replace the PEC, it is in the 5 year drive train warranty. Just saying. You really, REALLY don't want to pay for that piece of kit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could well be my language but the fault re-occurred for me every time I got in and drove the car. That seems to me a persistent repeat.
Flat bedded to dealer who says the fault has never occurred once.

The language that is appropriate here is Sod's Law.

I will check if they cleared the faults straight away. They did say there were many faults logged. Might be a bit late to ask for the fault log but I will try.

·
Registered
523 Posts
It seems sometimes like filibustering, this business of saying they are unable to recreate the fault. like you say they clear the logged faults give you the car back and then repeat. it might be suggested that it's a practice that prolongs the enviable and saves a bit of money in the process. I know. I've been called a cynic before ☺ I had this problem too. I let them away with it a few times before I refused to take the car back until they at least attempted to resolve the underling issue. Mysteriously they were then able to recreate the fault. they blamed the chargers. evidence was provided that the chargers were operating as they should. eventually they changed the BCB. I was assured that would fix the problem. it was back in just over a month. it doesn't really fill you with confidence that they actually know what's going on with these faults.
I'm much happier to see them at least try though. there's nothing more infuriating than being fobbed off. I did give them almost two years of clearing the fault cycle and many trips to the garage. much to my inconvenience to put it in the mildest possible terms.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
Could well be my language but the fault re-occurred for me every time I got in and drove the car. That seems to me a persistent repeat.
Flat bedded to dealer who says the fault has never occurred once.

The language that is appropriate here is Sod's Law.

I will check if they cleared the faults straight away. They did say there were many faults logged. Might be a bit late to ask for the fault log but I will try.

If you work in a techy industry you'll know the first thing you do is take a note of the error message, clear the fault and see if the fault reoccurs. If the fault doesn't occur then there was nothing to to investigate and you've not wasted money or time investigating a ghost fault.

If "a" fault reoccurs then you compare the error messages. It might be different and point to a different issue or might confirm the previous issue and help identify the fault. Then you've saved time and money replacing parts that haven't failed.

·
4,155 Posts
@billybob For what it is worth.... There are two ways to approach this in my opinion. I am exaggerating to make my point. Bear with me.

1) The one extreme is to come in with a notepad, a memo recorder and a witness, start pointing out consumer law, rejection rights, that no external factor (such as chargepoints) will ever be at fault and even if they were, should be dealt with and what not.

2) The other extreme is to try and solve things politely, amicably and patiently under the assumption that no-one wants an unhappy customer ever.

As for 1, there is a, in my view, rather balanced post somewhere on this forum by @Badger in Black who has described what then happens on the other side of the table. He pointed out how the "one chance to fix", applying to both cars and a kettle, can actually work against the customer. Things will become very formal very fast, and especially something that could be described as a diagnosis, blowing that "one chance" will be thoroughly avoided.

As for 2, you could easily be pushed around for ages.

Neither is a perfect strategy for sure, and I think it is fair to say we've seen both fail on this very forum. Take a sensible pick I'd say. Personally, I think @Kotek Besar handled a similar situation well.

·
Registered
523 Posts
People to my mind shouldn't take polar extremes as viable solutions. they should make their own minds up about what to think and about how to act depending on their personal circumstances. In this way the individual decides a course of action in line with their own beliefs. coming from a questioning persective about what people who have a vested interested tell them can't hurt. keeping good notes and seeking an impartial perspective form places like trading standards is always a good practice if anyone wants to know where they stand.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They gave me a copy of the fault list:
First page was entitled Computer: PEB
DTC0852F2 DCDC
DTC086196 COMP FAULTY

Second page Computer: EVC
DTC017116 FAN ASSEMBLY
DTC1525F3 CONSISTENT MULTIPLEX SIGNALS FOR CC/SL

They had written numbers alongside them which I would guess are occurrences.

I drove the car home and everything was as it should be other than the horrible droning noise from the motor between 60mph and 65mph. This has been going on for a couple of weeks before the fault occurred.

Also the pre-conditioning fans have been making a horrible grinding noise on occasion and then shut down.

I wonder if this relates to the errors in any way?

Have to say, Renault UK customer service has been really good. They searched for a dealer that could look at the car straight away. Lifestyle in Horley were very good albeit unable to find a genuine fault. Problem now is that lack of confidence waiting for the fault to reoccur. I forgot to ask the dealer if the fault can be cleared without the clip tool. Anyone know?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Sometime the faults can be cleared with a 5 miniute reset also dubbed the rain dance. Yoh-there has documented it often and will be able to give you good detail. when it can't be cleared that way it needs to be flatbedded unfortunately. hopefully you should be able to use the reset if it happens again for you in the future.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
horrible droning noise from the motor between 60mph and 65mph.
Check your tyre pressure, I bet the garage has checked your tyres and stuck them back at 36psi... which is way too low. 38-40psi is generally recommended by owners.

·
4,155 Posts
PEB is the inverter. DCDC in the PEB is the module that transforms the 400 traction battery voltage to the traditional 12 volt bus. As long as you don't have a "Check Electrical System" error (which is a 12 volt bus problem), I wouldn't worry. COMP FAULTY, huh, no idea.

The EVC is the "brain of the motor". It controls what the PEB should do, calculates all those numbers you see in your displays etc. Those two errors do not look very worrying to me. I have seen intermittent CANbus burps on mine too. FAN ASSEMBLY, no idea how bad or intermittent that is. I would not expect the A/C fans to be reported from the EVC anyway.

So, not very helpful I am afraid, but it's good to keep it for reference. And thank you, I need descriptions for those DTC's. Four down :whistle:

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,674 Posts

·
4,155 Posts
FYP? :confused: :)

I forgot the other question.
  • "STOP electric failure" AFAIK does not clear itself.
  • "Battery Charging Impossible" clears at the next successful charge (search this forum for "Rain Dance" :whistle:).
  • "Check Electrical System" clears itself if things are OK.

·
1,674 Posts
FYP = fixed your post. Regarding "STOP Electric Failure DANGER", it clears itself. I know this because when it happened on blue Zoe in the first instance, it went straight to the dealership but they couldn't see the error. They only could see it on the second instance which, by that time, was just over 6 months from delivery of the car. Isn't that convenient. I digress..

·
1,674 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts