Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a specific question, but one I presume most of you have had to look at some point or other.

At the moment I charge the vehicle every other day, only because I often work from home and don't need to travel, but have any of the utility companies come up with tarrifs that are friendly to electric vehicle owners?

I know there is Economy 7, but just try finding any supplier advertising the tarrif, like finding hens teeth.

And from the maths I did, very briefly, because I've managed to reduce our home electricity consumption over 25% over recent years using economy 7 seems to cost no less than the regular tarrif if I charge say 5 days a week.

Are their any good online calculators etc. to help a hapless PHEV owner do the sums properly and get the right advice.

I know in America you can have deals with the Utility companies to use night electricity a lot more easily than UK suppliers do, as there is far less demand overnight and electricity really should be cheaper to encourage us to move our consumption off peak and therefore their infrastructure costs (you'd think).

So what do you know, and what have you done about this?

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
It depends on what your priorities are.

If you want to be more ecological then Ecotricity and Good Energy supply power from 100% renewables. They do cost a bit more.

If you want the cheapest regardless then I heard there is a fixed tariff that is very cheap from Eon at the moment.

I am with Ecotricity as I want to support the Electric Highway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking purely at it as an economic rather than an ecological thing, though for the energy companies using more electricity at night rather than during the peak day time would actually actually reduce the need for the nasty smelly power stations anyway.

I'm actually already on the v.cheap E.On tarrif, but it frustrates me that none of the energy companies look to encourage customers to move their energy consumption to night time to reduce the off peak loads by having a lower tarrif at night (with ramping up the daytime tarrif). Everyone would benefit if we all used our washing machines, dishwashers, rechargeable devices etc. between midnight and 6am.

Of course the root cause of the problem is they have no way to meter it properly until we get the new smart meters, and even then I doubt they'll be in a rush to put something in place.

I may as well just charge my car during the day!

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
You could possibly convert to E.On's very cheap Economy 7 tariff. The good deal (One Year Fix November 2015 v9) has a night rate of 4.5p and a peak rate of 12.45p. It was too good to be true and was pulled quickly. E.On's latest, v11 is very uncompetitive.

There are some EV specific tariffs. British Gas offers one with off peak electricity for charging. But the rates are still higher than many of their competitors' peak rates. It's worth using a comparison site like uswitch, gocompare, energylinx or which to calculate your best deal.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
I am going to have an E7 meter installed next month. My current supplier, Scottish Hydro/SSE, were the only ones to do it free of charge so once it is done I will start shopping around. They also did have a specific tariff for owners of electric cars which included the E7 meter but it has been discontinued due to lack of uptake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts