Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,864 Posts
The other positives for me that are usually considered a negatives are the standard steel wheels and the fob-operated unlocking.

The wife and I love kissing kerbs and it's nice to avoid all the unnecessary problems surrounding keyless entry. Remind me again, what is the supposed advantage of keyless entry?

So in a triumph of appearance over common sense, we paid extra for alloys and you can guess what the nearside front one looks like now!

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,864 Posts
So women with bottomless handbags can drop a key in and not need to spend 10 minutes finding it again?
But she'll have to find it when she goes indoors to put it in the metal box that prevents the bad guys getting at it. She'll have to find that too!

Erm, I can just leave my car key in my pocket 🙄
And watch it unlock when you walk past it.

Seriously folks the keyless system introduces more hassle than it overcomes!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Seriously folks the keyless system introduces more hassle than it overcomes!
I'm in full agreement, keyless entry is the solution to a problem I never had.

When we got our second ID3, the missus wasn't bothered about having the new Family vs the 3 week old Life as I reeled off the additional kit, until she heard keyless entry.

VW has the broadcast intercept of the signal covered with newer tech, but even so, I find it no hardship to press a button on the Life to unlock a door. I find it more annoying when keyless occasionally fails to work than having to blip every time.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
427 Posts
You can set it to open on approach. It will lock itself back up if no one opens a door within a minute, then if you're still in range it will unlock again....Had to disable it on the Family.
I know you can, I haven't done that - hence my previous comment about the benefit for me being that I can keep my key in my pocket, I still touch the handle to unlock or lock.

·
Registered
82 Posts
When it's dark, the my keyless entry model also turn the headlights on for you if you walk in front of the car so you can "see your way to your door". Freaked me out the first time! Presumably you can turn it off, I just remember not to walk in front of the bonnet.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,864 Posts
When it's dark, the my keyless entry model also turn the headlights on for you if you walk in front of the car so you can "see your way to your door". Freaked me out the first time! Presumably you can turn it off, I just remember not to walk in front of the bonnet.
At least it doesn't goToot Toot to say goodbye like one other EV does.

I suppose there are many different ways to annoy the neighbours.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
531 Posts
They'll get their own back by parking across your driveway, blocking access to your charger. That's what my [email protected] neighbour dos anyway!
If he's parking over a drop kerb it's illegally parked get him towed. If there is no drop kerb then you don't have a drive sorry.

Failing that put a banana up his exhaust apparently it plays havoc with those ICE cars!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah - so I was wondering if there’s anything else along the lines of no voice activated climate control really.

What about externally, any other differences except the headlights, standard wheels and no handle lighting?

Tail lights, indicators etc the same or more basic on the Life?

And stuff like ACC - does that work the same on all models?
The tail lights are a slightly different design. They’re still all-LED, but the non-Life trims get sweeping dynamic indicators and an X-shape brake light graphic. Life just has a single line across the middle of the cluster for brakes and a solid indicator flash.

·
Registered
893 Posts
If he's parking over a drop kerb it's illegally parked get him towed. If there is no drop kerb then you don't have a drive sorry.

Failing that put a banana up his exhaust apparently it plays havoc with those ICE cars!!
Yep, we have a dropped kerb. With the gates fully open, I've got 225cm clearance to put a 186cm wide (wing mirrors folded) ID3 between. They encroach by a foot and its nearly impossible to get in. The place they park is on the raised kerb between mine and my other neighbours dropped kerb there's just enough room if she's careful. She's never careful.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
531 Posts
Maybe time to get a beat up Leaf got to love that awesome shove of torque

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So, it looks like Onto are soon going to be offering the Family model as well as the Life (details tbc).

Assuming both are the Pro Performance versions, what would people who’ve experienced both trims say the Family is worth over the Life per month?

If you have a Life model now, what would you realistically be happy to pay per month to have the Family features added to your car?

·
Registered
893 Posts
So, it looks like Onto are soon going to be offering the Family model as well as the Life (details tbc).

Assuming both are the Pro Performance versions, what would people who’ve experienced both trims say the Family is worth over the Life per month?

If you have a Life model now, what would you realistically be happy to pay per month to have the Family features added to your car?
We have a life and a Family, both 150kW/204ps. We bought outright and the Family cost just £834 more than our Life. Would I have paid the RRP difference between the 2 of £2500ish for Matrix headlights, the pano glass roof and slightly nicer cloth seats (the other bits are of low significance for me - the raised boot floor is less doggy friendly for our bear sized dog)? No chance, maybe £1200,it's all stuff you could easily live without.

One monthly basis over 3 years (assuming you're covering half the extra cost in depreciation) probably equates to about £35 a month. Depends how much you value the extras. Matrix lights on well lit major roads? Don't bother, but if you live in the sticks and are on country roads a lot, you might find them very useful as the darker nights and mornings draw in.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts