Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Lettuce Leaf early to be sure of arriving on time.
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a few short months we seem to have gone from ‘early adopters’ to ‘outdated old farts’. We’ve done 45,000 miles in our 2016 Leaf 30, and 5,000 in the 24 that preceded it.

Is it time to change? Or are we OK for another few years?

Our driving profile is pottering about within range most of the time, with ~4 times a year a trip of 250+ miles. Minimal budget available.

Recommendations?

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,828 Posts
Obviously an MG5. It will double your range and represents the best value of any current EV (as long as you don't miss the active safety features).
The Leaf 2 is better and there are great offers going on the E+.
Does you MG5 whine much? A courtesy ZS i drive a couple of weeks ago was very whiney, whereas the Leaf is silent.
Also found it annoying having to press a lever to see the range.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes, combine the recent list price decrease (due to PiCG changes), healthy discounts on the new lower RRP, AND 3 year 0% finance offer until the end of the month, and the Leaf e+ looks like a decent buy right now...

Reactions: LettuceLeaf

·
Registered
472 Posts
The Leaf 2 is better and there are great offers going on the E+.
Does you MG5 whine much? A courtesy ZS i drive a couple of weeks ago was very whiney, whereas the Leaf is silent.
Also found it annoying having to press a lever to see the range.
You've obviously not driven an MG5 (it's a very different vehicle to the ZS: amongst other things the battery percentage and GOM 'range' are always visible), or noticed that you can buy one for under £19k (last time I checked). You'd hope that the Leaf would be 'better' when it costs 50% more.

Yes, the pedestrian warning sound is a little louder than the Leaf. But no other EV comes close to the range for the money.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
557 Posts
Just so long as it wasn’t an ICEberg.
COS that would be terrible!! Just like my pun 😂

Oh and a classic Ioniq would be better than the Leaf for long trips but if your happy with what you've got keep it.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,828 Posts
You've obviously not driven an MG5 (it's a very different vehicle to the ZS: amongst other things the battery percentage and GOM 'range' are always visible), or noticed that you can buy one for under £19k (last time I checked). You'd hope that the Leaf would be 'better' when it costs 50% more.

Yes, the pedestrian warning sound is a little louder than the Leaf. But no other EV comes close to the range for the money.
That's fair enough, I'm not commenting on any EV I haven't driven, which is only a ZS.

·
Registered
21 Posts
James from Cleevely was getting 200 motorway miles in the MG estate. They’re around £20k-22k depending on spec. (See James & Kate YouTube vlog).

Early Ioniq 28kwh are down to around £16k I think and they can do 170miles.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Our driving profile is pottering about within range most of the time, with ~4 times a year a trip of 250+ miles. Minimal budget available.
If you're content most of the time and really only likely to do 4 longer trips a year there would seem little point in changing the car.

Why not stick with what you have until it absolutely needs to go and then - and only then, see what is available for your minimal budget. A 250+ trip (providing it's not 250+++ miles !) will only require a couple of rapid charges and (hopefully !) as time goes on access to rapid chargers should improve. Sticking all your 'savings' into a sinking fund might upgrade your 'minimal budget' to a 'modest' one and quality of secondhand EVs should improve whilst you wait.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I wonder how the Mgs will hold their value. I am also interested to see how reliable they are and if they rust badly (especially underneath)

I have a feeling the Mgs will be very good value used in 2 or 3 years.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts