Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

New here, have just got bmw 530e which came with the portable charger with 3 pin but is does not reach my plug socket

Can anyone advise what cable to buy, I need another 10meters

Ta

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
10m is really pushing the cable to its limit. for a 20m run (you should consider the full cable length) you really need to go to 4mm2. Theoretically 2.5mm is ok, but it will get warm, if you keep with the 13a connector thats also a problem, as its not a waterproof connector, and putting it in a sealed socket, will probably cause it to shut down (I believe they have a temp sensor in the 13a plug). Your best bet if you have to use this type of connector and not a fixed type 2 outlet, is to get a new 13a socket installed nearer to the vehicle. And preferably in a larger box not just a covered outlet.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Any good quality 10m extension cord will do the job. Get a plain one with a single socket at one end and a plug at the other. Put the connection inside a waterproof cable box, B&Q sell them for outdoor Xmas lights. They are large green boxes with a lid that clips over the cable entries. I believe they are called Driboxes.

If you are fussy, remove the covers for the plug and socket and check the wire terminations have ferrules and that the screws are tight. After say an hour of charging, unplug everything and check that temperatures are no more than warm.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
No it wont, most 10m cables are suitable for 5a a few 10a continuous , few will do a high current for long duration, as indeed the 13a plugs and sockets dont work well either. But you are not just using a 10m lead You will then be using a 20m extension overall, and you need to keep the voltage drop down, and limit the heating.
If the cable isnt 2.5mm2 at least walk away from it. Few extension cables are over 1.5mm2.
Dont forget a vehicle charger is a continuous load, not like running a power tool for ten minutes.
I use 10m 2.5mm cables with 16a connectors on a 2.5kw charger and the cables do get warm. I never use 13a plugs (fortunately my vehicles dont have temp sensors in the plugs) I have loads of 13a plugs off customers charge leads where the fuse gets loose (the pins moving everytime they get inserted in the socket) and gets hot this melts the insulator around the pin, and they get stuck in the socket. A covered socket makes this worse.
Just dont skimp, dont get one on a drum, and have as high a quality plug and socket on each end as you can. The connectors on the reels are normally very poor. More heat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi All

New here, have just got bmw 530e which came with the portable charger with 3 pin but is does not reach my plug socket

Can anyone advise what cable to buy, I need another 10meters

Ta
Got the same issue myself until I get my charger fitted. 225xe arrived this morning and ended up with the cable coming out the front door!

Any links to suitable extension cables would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
An easy practical test of the extension lead is to hook up a 2.5 kW electric heater, fan type probably best, and run this for a least 1 hour on full heat with the thermostat wound around to max. If the extension lead and plugs do not get beyond warm after that test it will be fine with the granny charger, say for a couple of months until a proper EVSE with a long cable is installed.

However, Grumpy strictly speaking is 100 percent correct.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,575 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
industrialextensionleads.co.uk do 2.5mm2 flex extension leads with fitted 13 amp plug and socket. 10m would be fine for both current rating and volt drop.
By the way, caravans and motorhomes come with a 25 meter long 2.5mm2 hook-up cable and are regularly used in UK campsites with 16 amp supply without any issues with heating or volt drop. Remember to uncoil the cable though.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I got a 15m or so heavy duty extension from B&Q. It has a single socket on the end, I use it fully unravelled and it’s rated for 13A continuous.

I use this at my parents house at full load all night and never have an issue. Doesn’t get warm. The car “only” pulls 10A so anything rated 13A should be fine just keep an eye on it for the first use.

More likely the plug socket or wiring in the house will be the weak link.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have just ordered a 10 m lead from Tough Leads complete with weatherproof socket and in-line RCD. The rubber insulation means it will coil nicely for stowage and be tough enough. I checked the volt drop for 10m and it’s fine, as is the current rating (it helps being an Electrical Engineer!). Thanks for the posted recommendation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have just ordered a 10 m lead from Tough Leads complete with weatherproof socket and in-line RCD. The rubber insulation means it will coil nicely for stowage and be tough enough. I checked the volt drop for 10m and it’s fine, as is the current rating (it helps being an Electrical Engineer!). Thanks for the posted recommendation.
Just a heads up on this, I had to remove the rubber seal on the weather proof socket to get my BMW granny charger plug to fit due to the shape of the plug. Don’t intend leaving it exposed in the rain, just place it underneath the car.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just a heads up on this, I had to remove the rubber seal on the weather proof socket to get my BMW granny charger plug to fit due to the shape of the plug. Don’t intend leaving it exposed in the rain, just place it underneath the car.

Thanks for the tip. I emailed them and they responded immediately asking for more information on the BMW granny lead and I have sent the details. They say that given this information they can provide the correct socket.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Covered sockets will get hot, so keep an eye on it. I have seen a number of 13a covered sockets with plugs stuck in them, where they have got extra hot by being covered.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have just bought a 10 m extension lead from TOUGH LEADS. Following some correspondence with the proprietor, he sourced a Crabtree weatherproof socket which will accommodate the large moulded plug and 2.5 sq.mm. cable that BMW supply with the i3 (made by Delphi). This option is now available on the Tough Leads website.

The socket and enclosure is quite substantial and well sealed against water ingress. It comes with 1.5 sq.mm. rubber cable which is perfectly adequate both on current rating and volt drop and it coils quite tightly which is good for storage (it fits under the i3 "bonnet" comfortably with the granny lead). Overall this is an excellent product which I can highly recommend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have just bought a 10 m extension lead from TOUGH LEADS. Following some correspondence with the proprietor, he sourced a Crabtree weatherproof socket which will accommodate the large moulded plug and 2.5 sq.mm. cable that BMW supply with the i3 (made by Delphi). This option is now available on the Tough Leads website.

The socket and enclosure is quite substantial and well sealed against water ingress. It comes with 1.5 sq.mm. rubber cable which is perfectly adequate both on current rating and volt drop and it coils quite tightly which is good for storage (it fits under the i3 "bonnet" comfortably with the granny lead). Overall this is an excellent product which I can highly recommend.
That’s good customer service!

·
Registered
130 Posts
More likely the plug socket or wiring in the house will be the weak link.
Don’t forget this. You can check ratings on leads you buy and also easily check if they are getting warm. Not so easy with house wiring.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts