Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the Corsa EV has been around a few years, there should be a body of knowledge and experience growing about faults that regularly occur - every model has them. For example, my last car was a Corsa E ICE (GM construction) and was known for its failing coil packs. What's gone wrong with yours? If nothing has, that's useful info too.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I had one as a courtesy vehicle for 9 weeks.
The last few days it was unhappy to go at higher speeds. Almost like it was throttling back a bit.

Maybe people had been thrashing it too much maybe the owners have an ability to reduce the power in an attempt to make it dangerous to drive.
It had only done about 2600 miles so it was a bit shocking.

The buttons used to switch to radio or nav didn't always work and sometimes the nav would go off or reboot or fail to update, usually just before you need it to tell you which exit to take on a roundabout and six or seven circuits of a roundabout waiting for the bugger to come back to life quickly became annoying.

The paint started peeling off the drivers door too but I suspect that was due to the previous guy who borrowed it and left loads of screwed up McDonald's bags and half eaten packets of fries behind the seats.

I drove it less firmly than I would drive my own car as I respect other people's property and felt it would be an enjoyable car to run if the problems I found were non existent. Hopefully it was just that particular car.

Gaz

·
Registered
Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav Premium Quartz Grey
320 Posts
Had ours since end of September and covered 11,000 miles and, touch wood, had no issues outside of the crap app and some fun and games with it not liking the chargers at my wifes work on an inconsistent basis! One day a charger would work and then another day it wouldnt, they've now been changed for newer ones and not having the issues so that will have been the charger not the car.

In terms of your hire car i had a Kia Sportage for a couple of weeks as a courtesy car after someone pulled out on me in our old Astra and i ended up flying over a stone wall and coming to a rest 60yds into a field. That had a black box on for monitoring and seemed to only allow the throtte to be depressed so far unless you really shoved it to get past a restrictor of some sort. It was as slow as hell!!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Had ours since end of September and covered 11,000 miles and, touch wood, had no issues outside of the crap app and some fun and games with it not liking the chargers at my wifes work on an inconsistent basis! One day a charger would work and then another day it wouldnt, they've now been changed for newer ones and not having the issues so that will have been the charger not the car.

In terms of your hire car i had a Kia Sportage for a couple of weeks as a courtesy car after someone pulled out on me in our old Astra and i ended up flying over a stone wall and coming to a rest 60yds into a field. That had a black box on for monitoring and seemed to only allow the throtte to be depressed so far unless you really shoved it to get past a restrictor of some sort. It was as slow as hell!!
Getting some air used to be fun. Not like that though :eek:.
The restriction on the corsa wasn't there for the first 8 weeks but maybe they add up how many miles done above a certain rate and decide you're driving is a bit too manly for the car. I imagine it was leased to the company rather than them owning it.

Gaz

·
Registered
Vauxhall Corsa e SRI Premium Nav
79 Posts
I rejected the first couple of Corsa SE Nav, first one because of a broken weld in the chassis which turned the car into a squeaky barn door, the dealer couldn’t guarantee the repair would be to the original specification, so rejected it.
The second one (replacement) was already 18 months old when they tried to give it to me as new, it looked like it had been sat in storage for quite a while with inferior damaged paint and damaged interior trims, along with its age and being 9 months older than my first one, so I rejected that one as well.
The long term loan car was really good, it had been abused somewhat and was covered in dents, scratches and the inside smelt like stale McDonald’s fries, with dead skins and bogeys scattered about the car, pretty gross.
I cleaned it up for the dealer as it was in my possession for three months, but did really enjoy that one, no issues other than a few interior rattles that I lived with as it wasn’t mine to fix, oh and a humming noise at 70mph which I think was the underbody plastic protection which was hanging down in places, by perhaps the Duke Cousins giving it a General Lee life style while on loan before me?.
The replacement was an SRI, a free upgrade as such due to nothing else being in stock, and was the dealers ex showroom car.
This one has so far had relatively little issues, it’s still due a recall for the indicators, but loathe taking any car to a dealer unless I absolutely have to, so that will wait until service time.
I have a rattle in the back somewhere which is driving me a bit crazy, again I’ll try everything fixing that before touching any dealer.
The red paint (not my choice), is challenging to keep clean, and shows marks etc very easily.
The app isn’t very good over the long term, but just accepted it’s never going to be much, so barely use it now.
I have to admit fighting Vauxhall and the Dealer was exhausting, and made me very vocally negative towards the car, but I couldn’t walk away as there was nothing else that I could afford or that was immediately available. The first of the chip shortages was starting to bite, deals were shrinking along with availability, which is why I didn’t or couldn’t walk away.
I won’t buy another Corsa E, or currently any other EV once the PCP runs out as I’ve been priced out the EV market, and I don’t trust the technology enough to buy anything 2nd hand out of manufactures warranty (I wouldn’t be able to afford to fix anything that went seriously wrong).
I’ll enjoy what time I have left with the Corsa, niggles and all, what car I end up with next I’ve no idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts