Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

681 - 689 of 689 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
The Tories renamed their twitter account "FactCheckUK" during the debate. For some reason they have not been banned or lost their blue tick.

Its quite pleasing to see both the public and the press seem pretty annoyed with this latest antic, and especially the tories refusal to see why it is so wrong. I am hoping, especially with regards to the press, it'll encourage them to continue to fact check and maybe even encourage them to call him out more often when he lies

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Seems reasonable if one expectation is a multiple of the other.

If I want $1bn from a magic tree and you want $2bn, obviously you want two trees worth.
The whole "magic money tree" phrase was invented by the Torys to counter Labour's GE2017 spending plans.

Without seeing the difference between Labour's (fully costed) GE2017 and their (unpublished) GE2019 manefesto, how does anyone know what their borrowing/spending plans are?

On the other hand, the Tory party have actually gone from austerity to "40 new hospitals" (sic) whilst in power ... surely the forest of magic money trees critisism should be pointed to them...

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,409 Posts
I think this falls into one of those [Tesla/Top Gear] court judgement type decisions 'don't be ridiculous, no-one would take that seriously'.

A 'fact check' in politics? Name just a single 'fact' that has ever come out of a politician's mouth since ancient Greek democracy?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
What? Over 80% of restaurants are franchises.
I can assure you most of them are very profitable.
Indeed, but the interface where most of the tax is lost isn't between the franchisee (if there is one) and the franchisor, it is between the UK company and the US parent. The word franchise is often used to describe the UK company's relationship with the US parent. Where we talk about Google or Amazon, there are no franchisees involved at all.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,409 Posts
The whole "magic money tree" phrase was invented by the Torys to counter Labour's GE2017 spending plans.

Without seeing the difference between Labour's (fully costed) GE2017 and their (unpublished) GE2019 manefesto, how does anyone know what their borrowing/spending plans are?

On the other hand, the Tory party have actually gone from austerity to "40 new hospitals" (sic) whilst in power ... surely the forest of magic money trees critisism should be pointed to them...
If they are 'magic' trees, it is difficult to know if conventional arithmetic holds true.

I presume there are mathematical truths that lie in the land of the Unicorns (not referring to Scotland there, at least not necessarily), but based on their last tenure in office, Labour really have no basis on which to complain about common understanding of arithmetic..... If you spend more than you've got, you end up with less.... Not sure they have really sussed that out yet..... Or Corbyn could simply print money....

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I can't understand why people think a company, whose business it is to make as much profit as it can within the framework of the law, would seek to do anything else other than make as much profit as it can within the framework of the law.
It is the laws of the countries that is the problem, not the companies.
They are making as much money as possible by declaring the profits in a domain with very little tax. And you are spot on about the law being the problem.

The issue is whether the government of the day wishes to close the loopholes, or whether they prefer to leave them open to benefit rich corporations or rich individuals, both of whom may be bankrolling their party. That puts a disproportionate load on those who are forced to pay tax through PAYE - that is you and me, Donald.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
If they are 'magic' trees...
You clearly didn't hear the BBC radio 4 documentary where they visited the Bank of England and were taken down to see the magic money tree in operation. A pretty standard laptop in the basement, that electronically releases sterling onto the money market.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
If I want $1bn from a magic tree and you want $2bn, obviously you want two trees worth.
Not necessarily. Taking $1bn from the tree might leave it able to produce another $1bn at a later date, repeat - so sustainable.
Or you might be able to get $2bn in one hit - by chopping the tree down.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Seems reasonable if one expectation is a multiple of the other.

But it's not really for a "neutral" presenter to make that point though, is it?

681 - 689 of 689 Posts