Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1661 - 1680 of 1737 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
its those who wanted to remain who will have to get involved and try and mitigate the impact
OK, I'll go along with that. But isn't the whole purpose of those qualified and well paid professionals to sort out the problems caused by the masses? If the masses cowered obediently in their corner, did what they were told, ate what they were given, most managers and problem solvers would be out of a job. A lot of people will get paid a lot of money to manage Brexit - so make hay while the sun shines.

I'm only half joking. It goes back to the problem/opportunity thing.

·
Registered
691 Posts
OK, I'll go along with that. But isn't the whole purpose of those qualified and well paid professionals to sort out the problems caused by the masses? If the masses cowered obediently in their corner, did what they were told, ate what they were given, most managers and problem solvers would be out of a job. A lot of people will get paid a lot of money to manage Brexit - so make hay while the sun shines.

I'm only half joking. It goes back to the problem/opportunity thing.
The issue with the problem/opportunity aspect of Brexit is the opportunities are mainly there for those who don't need the opportunities, those who are already well off and will become even more so now from Brexit - those who really need the opportunities are the ones who will be in the most trouble now and will have less opportunities going ahead.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Well I'm out of a job. Company is closing the UK office this year after all current contracts are completed, probably September/October time.

There are a number of relocation packages available but it's not exactly easy to move to Sweden. I could possibly go to Ireland but there is only one place available there and everyone is going to want it, and my partner has a job she loves here so it's complicated.

I'm an engineer working for a company that makes fire safety equipment for buildings. Basically all buildings now have to have smoke extract and meet quite strict standards on fire safety (except for the cladding!) There are a couple of companies in the UK that do this but they pay a lot less than the Swedes and the Irish, like 40% less. And they might be going out of business anyway, at least one of them is trying to set up in Dublin to re-certify all their products to EU standards but my company already switched to an Italian supplier for all but the remaining UK contacts. The other one is Colt and I wouldn't work for them again.

Oh and bloody FlyBe are going bust too so I don't even know if I can get to site any more.

Struggling to see how brexit is a great opportunity right now.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Well I'm out of a job. Company is closing the UK office this year after all current contracts are completed, probably September/October time.

There are a number of relocation packages available but it's not exactly easy to move to Sweden. I could possibly go to Ireland but there is only one place available there and everyone is going to want it, and my partner has a job she loves here so it's complicated.

I'm an engineer working for a company that makes fire safety equipment for buildings. Basically all buildings now have to have smoke extract and meet quite strict standards on fire safety (except for the cladding!) There are a couple of companies in the UK that do this but they pay a lot less than the Swedes and the Irish, like 40% less. And they might be going out of business anyway, at least one of them is trying to set up in Dublin to re-certify all their products to EU standards but my company already switched to an Italian supplier for all but the remaining UK contacts. The other one is Colt and I wouldn't work for them again.

Oh and bloody FlyBe are going bust too so I don't even know if I can get to site any more.

Sorry to hear that, Brexit is going to be really painful for a lot of people but it's bad when it's someone you know even if only as an online presence.

Moving to Sweden sounds like it may be your best bet if your partner can find a job there.

Anyone who says Brexit is an opportunity is talking rubbish.

·
Registered
691 Posts

I'm very sorry to hear that you will lose your job, I hope you're able to sort something out since you have a good amount of warning that the company is leaving - regarding sweden its not such a bad shout, they appear to have quite a progressive position on Brexit and has a healthy balance between the private and public sectors with high taxes but excellent social care

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I can't see Sweden being an option. Neither of us speak Swedish and the chances of us both finding a job there that only needs English are pretty slim. Anyway all our friends and families are here, our pensions, everything.

We were going to try to buy a house this year. Doesn't look very likely now. It's only 4 but I need a drink.

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
@Rei I am so sorry to hear that. It is appalling to see what we have been warning about for nearly four years begin to actually happen to those we know.

I wonder how many of those here who voted differently are suffering directly as a result of their vote? Whatever -- thanks for nothing! This sounds like one closure that is incontrovertibly down to Brexit...

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Well I'm out of a job. Company is closing the UK office this year after all current contracts are completed, probably September/October time .... Struggling to see how brexit is a great opportunity right now.
Tragic news. And it will clearly get worse.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the whole country baying to go back in to the EU in a couple of year's time.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I can't see Sweden being an option. Neither of us speak Swedish and the chances of us both finding a job there that only needs English are pretty slim.
I suspect "you might be surprised". Might be worth looking in to before you give up - I'm sure I've seen a suggestion that not being able (initially) to speak Swedish isn't necessarily all that much of an impediment (though it's a good idea to learn the language if you're going to be there more than a year or so).

Sorry to hear about your situation - I hope it ends well for you in the end.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I fear it's impossible. Brexit is hate and fear. Even the post-brexit stuff is racist, it's all about doing trade deals with white or ex-colony (Commonwealth) countries.
So surely doing trade deals exclusively with white EU countries is also racist?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I can't see Sweden being an option. Neither of us speak Swedish and the chances of us both finding a job there that only needs English are pretty slim. Anyway all our friends and families are here, our pensions, everything.

We were going to try to buy a house this year. Doesn't look very likely now. It's only 4 but I need a drink.
I know someone who moved to Sweden around 10 years ago, didn't speak a word of Swedish but he gets by just fine even though he is not very good at languages.

And if that's not for you, you are a smart guy so I'm sure you will have no trouble finding another job.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
What are you on about?? The EU has negotiated trade deals with dozens of nations in every part of the World.
Perhaps I worded that badly, but I was under the impression that the EU was for the benefit of members to freely trade within the EU. If those benefit extend to everywhere else in the world then what is the advantage of the EU? Do you not think it racist to have an exclusive club that benefits only white countries?*

So by your reasoning, Reis assertion of "Even the post-brexit stuff is racist, it's all about doing trade deals with white or ex-colony (Commonwealth) countries " is nonsense because we also do trade deals with nations in every part of the world?

*I'm following Reis assertion that countries are 'white' and assume he means majority white.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Perhaps I worded that badly, but I was under the impression that the EU was for the benefit of members to freely trade within the EU.
I assume you just mean what is the EU for with regards to trade, because at its core the EU is for peace, protection of the rights of its citizens, promoting inclusion etc

Trade wise it’s a combination of free trade Between the EU member states. of which anyone can apply to be a member if they fulfil the requirements set out to be a member, and then the customs union as a whole is then large enough that it has enough weight to negotiate with the largest other countries on a level field rather than as a minor party as we are about to find out, so given the EU is welcoming new members and will sort trade deals with other countries it’s hard to see how that can be accused of being racist

the question about whether brexit trade is racist I guess we will see after 31st when the UK is able to negotiate with countries that don’t already have trade deals with the EU - it’s certainly interesting to see the UK offer VISA free immigration to austrlia, will we see the same offer to other “non-white” countries?

·
Registered
691 Posts

So the question is was Johnson just stupid and didn’t understand the WA or did he just lie during the general election and again on Monday? Or I’d he actually just planning to negotiate the essentially full alignment and acceptance of EU rules and regs that would be required by the end of 2020 that’s needed to not have any checks?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Perhaps I worded that badly, but I was under the impression that the EU was for the benefit of members to freely trade within the EU. If those benefit extend to everywhere else in the world then what is the advantage of the EU? Do you not think it racist to have an exclusive club that benefits only white countries?*
So many people don't even understand how free trade works. Think about this for a moment. Say we had a free trade deal with China. How do you think that would work out for us? Wages in China are a lot lower and if there are no tariffs and no high standards the UK will get flooded with cheap, low quality goods. If you really want free trade you are going to get freedom of movement too.

The point of the EU is that everyone is on a level playing field. Same standards, same worker's rights, similar tax levels. It's fair to everyone and we all benefit.

That's why if you want to join the EU you have to adopt all the standards and get your economy in shape FIRST.

Nothing to do with racism, everything to do with having a fair and level playing field. Now do you think Donald Trump intends to give the UK a good, fair deal where we are equal partners? And how is it going to work with standards, will we have to accept chlorine chicken and guns and 1 weeks holiday a year?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
So many people don't even understand how free trade works. Think about this for a moment. Say we had a free trade deal with China. How do you think that would work out for us? Wages in China are a lot lower and if there are no tariffs and no high standards the UK will get flooded with cheap, low quality goods. If you really want free trade you are going to get freedom of movement too.

The point of the EU is that everyone is on a level playing field. Same standards, same worker's rights, similar tax levels. It's fair to everyone and we all benefit.

That's why if you want to join the EU you have to adopt all the standards and get your economy in shape FIRST.

Nothing to do with racism, everything to do with having a fair and level playing field. Now do you think Donald Trump intends to give the UK a good, fair deal where we are equal partners? And how is it going to work with standards, will we have to accept chlorine chicken and guns and 1 weeks holiday a year?
So you are racist then? You make these claims but are unable to back them up.

If doing a deal (in your opinion) with a white country is racist then not doing a deal with an Asian country is also racist?

"Nothing to do with racism" - but you are claiming that the UK doing a deal with a 'white' country is racist. What a ridiculous statement to make.

1661 - 1680 of 1737 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.