Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was delighted to be able to drive my e-Niro 4+ to the stated range of 282 miles from a 100% charge. The last 10 miles or so were done in careful loops near my house. Up to then it was showing a total expected range (i.e. how many miles I had done + the range still showing) of 294 miles. At 4%, I got the second low battery warning "charge immediately" and at that point the range display went to "---". I didn't have the courage at that point to see if I could get any more. Has anyone tried going to the range displayed just before it went to "---" and if so what happened?

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
909 Posts
I was delighted to be able to drive my e-Niro 4+ to the stated range of 282 miles from a 100% charge. The last 10 miles or so were done in careful loops near my house. Up to then it was showing a total expected range (i.e. how many miles I had done + the range still showing) of 294 miles. At 4%, I got the second low battery warning "charge immediately" and at that point the range display went to "---". I didn't have the courage at that point to see if I could get any more. Has anyone tried going to the range displayed just before it went to "---" and if so what happened?
Remind me never to buy a used EV from you :ROFLMAO:

I trust you’re not going to do this repeatedly? It’s just about the worst possible thing you can do to the battery!
Peter

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
610 Posts

I trust you’re not going to do this repeatedly? It’s just about the worst possible thing you can do to the battery!
Peter
Yeah, think of all those dirty electrons at the bottom of the battery clogging up the cables and getting in the motor windings too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may find the answer here:
Thanks for the suggestion. I had actually watched that video before, indeed it was one of the reasons I chose the Kia. Interestingly in the video the test car behaves differently. When you get the final warning (they said 3%, in my case it was 4%) the car continued to show a range. The reporter didn't specifically say that he was able to drive to zero range, but it seemed to be strongly implied from what was said. I think if the range had suddenly dropped to zero he probably would have mentioned it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Peter
My thought was to do it about annually to keep an eye on what the true range of the vehicle is. I have read an awful lot of contradictory stuff about these batteries, some from what seem to me to be credible scientific sources and some less so. Can you share the link to the particular piece of advice you quote? Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, this month I had runout of my traction battery on Freeway I 5 . I switched to Eco mode from Normal mode, turned off driving lights, radio and climate control. I could drive 5 miles until I reached the ChargePoint charging station at Coalinga , CA.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, this month I had runout of my traction battery on Freeway I 5 . I switched to Eco mode from Normal mode, turned off driving lights, radio and climate control. I could drive 5 miles until I reached the ChargePoint charging station at Coalinga , CA.
That is very reassuring thank you. Do you happen to remember how much range was showing just before you got the warning? I'm assuming that if the car shows e.g. 10 miles just before it stops showing the range, then if you really have no choice, and if you drive carefully as you did then you can still drive 10 miles but I guess noone is going to do this deliberately on their own car!

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
610 Posts
That is very reassuring thank you. Do you happen to remember how much range was showing just before you got the warning? I'm assuming that if the car shows e.g. 10 miles just before it stops showing the range, then if you really have no choice, and if you drive carefully as you did then you can still drive 10 miles but I guess noone is going to do this deliberately on their own car!
I gather from other threads on the Ioniq forum that the range may disappear at different % depending on battery degradation/buffer used up. ie when new the range disappears at 3%, when several years old it disappears at 5% indicating it may be related to cell voltages?

Reactions: BillTheButcher

·
Registered
193 Posts
I gather from other threads on the Ioniq forum that the range may disappear at different % depending on battery degradation/buffer used up. ie when new the range disappears at 3%, when several years old it disappears at 5% indicating it may be related to cell voltages?
That sounds plausible. I saw 3% before the display changed to ---. Two-month old car with 500 miles on it. (This wasn't intentional. I now know just how much of a drain heating the passenger seat is.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts