Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an angry phone call yesterday asking about a LEAF that has ended its business lease that was due to be returned but the office had absolutely no knowledge of its existance minus the original paperwork. I had a spare car that I was supposed to deliver to another depot and then register it on the fleet database. Personal circumstances meant that was my last day of work for almost a year, and I totally forgot to register it before leaving.

So, for almost 3 years, a 30kWh LEAF has been sitting at the back of one of the depots, right in front of a big, south facing window where it often gets super hot, plugged in with a granny cable, getting covered in dust and dirt and not a single other person questioned it. Minus a short trip out for promotional photos, and me driving it to that depot the car has never been used.

The 12v battery was unsurprisingly dead and the SOC when it was woken up with a new battery was reported to be 92%. Unsure if that means the 12v battery only died and stopped allowing the car from recharging recently, or if once it did die there was just a very minimal drain meaning it kept it's charge for a long time.

I thought it would be interesting to post my minor mistake here to answer a question people have about leaving a car plugged in for long periods and just how harmful it can be to the battery. I got someone to check it out with leafspy out of curiosity and here are the results. I'm trying to get them to send the screen shot and will upload it here as soon as I get a hold of it myself.

So, after 3 years, 219 miles, 2 rapid charges, and a reported 21 AC charges... the SOH sits at just over 54%. Almost half of the battery capacity lost. (apparently with all bars showing on the dash still, so it doesn't look like the car has quite worked out how bad things are just yet) Obviously it has sat around so long and never had a service so it may not have the new software, and I am sure the capacity would also rise a bit if it went back into regular use. But right now it is definitely in no fit state to drive.

So just in case you wondered if it was bad to leave your car plugged in and fully charged for 3 years - Yes, it is. Oops.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Oopps.
Someone will get a bargain by buying it, adding 10k miles ASAP and then selling it as low mileage.
I wonder whether Nissan will honour the battery warranty? :unsure:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oopps.
Someone will get a bargain by buying it, adding 10k miles ASAP and then selling it as low mileage.
I wonder whether Nissan will honour the battery warranty? :unsure:
Yeah I'm wondering about the warranty myself. In theory they should do. Especially if it's the new owner who makes the claim as they can't really blame them for it.

Nissan used to shout at me after a service when they handed me the battery report saying I was rapid charging way too much and it may affect my warranty, but when I looked into it I don't think there were really any restrictions on making a claim.

The only sad part is they most definitely won't be giving you a new battery. It will be a refurb and their guarantee is only for 9 bars. It may be sold as a 30kWh model but I don't think it will ever have anywhere near that capacity ever again in its life.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Minus a short trip out for promotional photos, and me driving it to that depot the car has never been used.
So just in case you wondered if it was bad to leave your car plugged in and fully charged for 3 years - Yes, it is. Oops.
That's a sad story for this Leaf, but interesting to hear the battery SOH numbers.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a sad story for this Leaf, but interesting to hear the battery SOH numbers.
Agreed. I do actually feel bad that I'm pretty much the sole reason why it sat there unloved. Hopefully someone buys and treats it well.

I just had to share the story because I know everyone tells you it's bad to leave it fully charged, but if have never believed it could be THIS harmful, even when taken to such an extreme.

·
Registered
15,973 Posts
Agreed. I do actually feel bad that I'm pretty much the sole reason why it sat there unloved. Hopefully someone buys and treats it well.

I just had to share the story because I know everyone tells you it's bad to leave it fully charged, but if have never believed it could be THIS harmful, even when taken to such an extreme.
I wouldn’t believe the SOH figure either.

There’s a good chance the algorithm is out of whack. It needs a full calibration cycle really.

Or drive it to empty and see how much energy it really stores?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn’t believe the SOH figure either.

There’s a good chance the algorithm is out of whack. It needs a full calibration cycle really.

Or drive it to empty and see how much energy it really stores?
It needs some new tyres all round, a new 12v battery (one was just quickly taken from another car for testing earlier) a layer of dust cleaned off, and the charging flap mechanism cleaned and lubricated so we can actually close it before it can drive anywhere.

I imagine that list will get longer as its prepared and more problems are uncovered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts