Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the 'another what home charger' thread.

I've got 5.5kw solar with a powerwall 2 recently installed.

Next stage of my plan is to get an EV (in the dim and distant past we've had a Leaf, Ampera and a plug in Prius. The most likely choice for the next EV would be a first gen Ioniq (I think...ask me tomorrow and it may be a i3!).

I should state that we have moved home since the Old EV days, so I should be eligible for a grant for the charge point.

I see Octopus have the Ohme charger discounted, so I'm thinking of getting an electrician to fit a 32Amp external commando and just use this without utilising the grant.

My main question is how to integrate the charger with the Powerwall AND Octopus Agile tariff?

Is anyone doing something similar?

In my old house (that also had solar) I just used to use the granny charger when the sun shone!

What's the best (read most cost effective!) way to do this now?

Thanks

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
464 Posts
The ultimate configuration as well as charging the car at least cost, imo, is a car capable of sending power back to the home, the grid, storing power locally in a powerwall etc etc. I just googled for a list of cars that can V2G or V2H and came up wanting. I know that Nissan Leaf can. Putting this in combination with a zappi charger & powerwall or similar and solar panels, ground source etc needs an intelligent charger capable of doing anything you ask. Robert Lllewelyn has something of this sort and has done a couple of episodes on his setup. I say this is the ultimate because it is both very cost effective and very resilient. Also to integrate everything to the grid required a grey box, that I don't know if Robert explained what it was, but it was a critical nerve centre. On top of EV car costs, it also costs a lot of money to set up. If I had the space and money to set this up I would do it in an instant. Instead I look on with jealous admiration.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Try the ChargedEV Smart+ , it supports Agile and solar. Powerwall doesn't support both solar and EVs, so anything you want to integrate it properly you have to home brew from something like EMONCMS.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts