Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I'm waiting for my first EV to come. Ordered yesterday so a bit of time yet.

While I'm waiting I'm
looking for recommendations on UK Chargers and Energy providers?

I have charging at my place of work and currently no cost and low demand so majority of my charging will be there.

I would still like the option to charge at home. I have been looking EO Mini Pro 2 mostly due to the size and modest looks.

Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi Mikeus M, I can recommend Octopus and either their Go or Agile tarrifs. We have a tarrif called Go Faster. Deal is 5p electricity for 4 hours from 8.30pm. This allows the dishwasher and other things to be run cheaply at a time you are still awake rather than something like economy 7 where things are being set to run when you are asleep. Day rate is 13.45p, but this varies a little between regions. Regular Go tarrif is 4 hours from 12:30-4:30am.

Your welcome to use my referral code if you like the look of Octopus. We both get £50 credit to our accounts. Warm-Burn-664 is the code.

Charger wise we have a Pod Point which came free with the car. Looking at adding a Zappi now we have 2 EV’s and have had solar fitted.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
204 Posts
I have the EO Pro 2, I chose the tethered version to avoid handling wet/dirty/heavy cables.
Be aware that the app is a work in progress ie. It doesn't work at all!
The other good choice for a small device is the Wallbox Pulsar Plus.
It's not discreet as it has a halo of LED lights on the front. 😁

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
@Mikeus M Recommend Octopus Agile or Go. Most on here will recommend Octopus as they are the only provider doing cutting edge half hourly pricing. You will halve your elecy costs by switching to Octopus. Plenty of referral codes to choose from too, mine included.

If you have or thinking of solar, then Zappi is the accepted best solution.

If you are not worried about looks, Ohme is great solution, again with Octopus and on special offer... £199

and EO too.

Reactions: Mikeus M

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses.

I have been looking at Octopus and Ecotrcity but appreciate your help.

I have read a lot about different providers but Octopus comes up a lot.

What's their customer service like?

·
Short term PHEV
2020 i3
729 Posts
Zappi and then EO mini were the two I settled on based on quality and looks.

Re. energy tariff, when I calculated how much charging I would do from home it was barely worth taking into consideration. So for us not worth switching to a cheap thru the night tariff and putting the dishwasher on at 2am. Cheapest co once again, 5 years running I think, turned out to be Avro.

·
Registered
2021 BMW 530e
25 Posts
I had an EO mini Pro 2 installed a few weeks ago, using the offer from Octopus (who I was already with and switched to Go). Got a nice little discrete box for the same price as the cheapest other charger install I could find. I went for a socketed version, as I need a 10m cable to reach the car flap. Certainly very happy with it so far.

Adding link: Electric Car Charging | Octopus Electric Vehicles

I don't actually know whether the app works or not, as I use the car to schedule the charge times. It certainly looks rather basic, but it is new, so plenty of room for development!

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I have charging at my place of work and currently no cost and low demand so majority of my charging will be there.
So you probably won't benefit from 'smart' tariffs and they seem (from reports here) to be a load of hassle at times.
I actually have moved to Octopus but only because they have decent ordinary tariffs and are recommended for their service. I've no complaints so far.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Found their service fine, can speak to them easily if needed but I tend to email and they do reply. With the smart tarrifs, sometimes you find you don’t get a monthly bill and they have to manually push it through, although touches wood last 3 months have come through normally. Think if there is any smart meter data missing it won’t auto generate.

The Go tarrif was cheaper than the previous supplier we were with even without charging, but no doubt there are even better deals out there.

Planning on getting an untethered zappi. The pod point is tethered, but we had to have the cable replaced after a few years, the data cable inside was damaged. Made me think it’s better to have the cable separate not integrated so it can be swapped without needing a call out from an electrician. I will leave it plugged in all the time as though it was tethered as it’s secure and not nickable!

·
Registered
227 Posts
If your charger is hidden away where no one can see it grab a Zappi or podpoint.

If it's going on the front of your house and you want it to blend in and look good there's only one choice....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi.
I'm waiting for my first EV to come. Ordered yesterday so a bit of time yet.

While I'm waiting I'm
looking for recommendations on UK Chargers and Energy providers?

I would still like the option to charge at home. I have been looking EO Mini Pro 2 mostly due to the size and modest looks.

Thank you in advance for your help.
The Zappy is a good buy and seem to be reliable don't need an earth rod, if you live near Cambridge try Artisan electrical he does a good job and neatly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I read somewhere that the Zappi has a 6.5m cable, compared to 4.8-5m for most others.
Is anyone able to confirm this?
(Zappi's own website doesn't mention this in the specs).

·
Registered
1,601 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Thanks.
That may make the difference between being able to mount it on the inside of the garage rather than on the front wall.

Would you also be able to tell me the diameter of that cable (to determine if it will fit under the garage door)?
The cable fitted is 15mm in diameter so if you have a spare piece of 15mm copper pipe and that fits under, the cable should do the same.

Reactions: Ascot17

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Will the Anderson work with scheduling of Octopus Agile?
I cant see anything that says it does, but sure its an option or will be soon.
Zappi have just update their offering and it works a treat on Agile.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts