Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take this post somewhat lightheartedly, just looking to see what you guys think..
We have orderd one, but i've been wrestling with that decision ever since. Although looking at all the alternatives, including ice cars it does still make the most sense to us and comes out on top of the list. There are a few things that really stand out as being the points of debate.

1). Not really too fond of the shape! particularly the rear .
generally speaking, I like the crossover/small suv shape that is ever so common now, we have a GLA and a JUKE prior to that. But with the Niro, particular from the rear, it doesn't really do it for me or the mrs. The new Kia Xceed for example is much more attactive.

2) Not a fan of chrome.
the chrome body mouldings, door handles and window trim, are not something I'm too keen on. Not being an option to change, i'd probably consider plasti-dipping to "chrome delete"

3) that Kia badge
I know I am being a bit shallow with this one, but after spending 33k on a car, I feel like that kia badge doesn't really fill me with all the satisfaction of owning a spanking new car. They do have some really good models now and if they continue, that brand image may well be a raised bar, but right now, if only in terms of perception it stills somewhat lower for me. I saw someone swap out the badge for the kia 3.0 logo, and actually that looks a lot more classy then the current logo.

4) A boring and cheap looking interior
When you look at a lot of much cheaper options and what they are doing with their interiors, you have to be a little dissapointed with what comes across as very plan and dull. Materials are a bit cheap too, Adding a splash of color and bit more soft touch can go a long way. The digital dash looks nice however.

5) Those alloys
upclose they look cheap , you'd even be forgiven for thinking they had some plastic. I personaly like black on a white or grey car, but with no option on them, and them being somewhat unique design, I am considering getting them changed to black afterwards, (powder coated or plasti-dipped) but not 100% it would suit them.

6) rear middle seat
We often travel with 3 adults 2 children, with my wife on the middle rear seat ( gets car sick, prefer middle seat as seeing where we are going helps). That middle seat though, seems a little raised and narrow, making it a bit uncomfortable. Granted this was only from a short test drive but it was just the initial feeling we got.

7) lack of panoramic sunroof
I suspect this was a weight consideration and wanting to market that 300mile range ( or whatever it was lowered too after official testing). But the panroof is always a winner with the kids, their first comment after getting into the car was that it felt dark. ( they've been spoilt with years of panoramic roof's) !

In summary , Its a testement to the car they've built that even after all of these points, we are still keen on it !

·
Registered
27 Posts
While I don’t disagree with your points I have to say that after a weeks ownership most of which has been spent touring South Wales with my son and his wife (both over 6ft tall) the first five points become almost irrelevant as in my opinion the car is so good.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Take this post somewhat lightheartedly, just looking to see what you guys think..
We have orderd one, but i've been wrestling with that decision ever since. Although looking at all the alternatives, including ice cars it does still make the most sense to us and comes out on top of the list. There are a few things that really stand out as being the points of debate.

generally speaking, I like the crossover/small suv shape that is ever so common now, we have a GLA and a JUKE prior to that. But with the Niro, particular from the rear, it doesn't really do it for me or the mrs. The new Kia Xceed for example is much more attactive.

2) Not a fan of chrome.
the chrome body mouldings, door handles and window trim, are not something I'm too keen on. Not being an option to change, i'd probably consider plasti-dipping to "chrome delete"

3) that Kia badge
I know I am being a bit shallow with this one, but after spending 33k on a car, I feel like that kia badge doesn't really fill me with all the satisfaction of owning a spanking new car. They do have some really good models now and if they continue, that brand image may well be a raised bar, but right now, if only in terms of perception it stills somewhat lower for me. I saw someone swap out the badge for the kia 3.0 logo, and actually that looks a lot more classy then the current logo.

When you look at a lot of much cheaper options and what they are doing with their interiors, you have to be a little dissapointed with what comes across as very plan and dull. Materials are a bit cheap too, Adding a splash of color and bit more soft touch can go a long way. The digital dash looks nice however.

5) Those alloys
upclose they look cheap , you'd even be forgiven for thinking they had some plastic. I personaly like black on a white or grey car, but with no option on them, and them being somewhat unique design, I am considering getting them changed to black afterwards, (powder coated or plasti-dipped) but not 100% it would suit them.

6) rear middle seat
We often travel with 3 adults 2 children, with my wife on the middle rear seat ( gets car sick, prefer middle seat as seeing where we are going helps). That middle seat though, seems a little raised and narrow, making it a bit uncomfortable. Granted this was only from a short test drive but it was just the initial feeling we got.

I suspect this was a weight consideration and wanting to market that 300mile range ( or whatever it was lowered too after official testing). But the panroof is always a winner with the kids, their first comment after getting into the car was that it felt dark. ( they've been spoilt with years of panoramic roof's) !

In summary , Its a testement to the car they've built that even after all of these points, we are still keen on it !
Seems to me that only 2 of your points are about using it as a car- items 6) and 7).
The remainder are just visual issues, but when you'll be driving by yourself alongside boy racers waiting at the lights, these won't seem of significance...

·
Registered
135 Posts
It does seems strange as the Sportage has a panoramic roof and yet the Niro range never has, might get a sunroof for the 2nd Edition next year.

5) Those alloys
They are Metal/Plastic think the shiney metal ie chrome look is plastic from what I've seen still awaiting on mine which should ort maybe March 202

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems to me that only 2 of your points are about using it as a car- items 6) and 7).
The remainder are just visual issues, but when you'll be driving by yourself alongside boy racers waiting at the lights, these won't seem of significance...
yea I fully accept most of these are a bit shallow, but then when you spend that much, you want something your attracted to also. But like others say, the positives outweigh these points.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Here's someone putting an alternative Kia badge on their Niro:

re: your other points: The Niro is supposed to be a fairly sensible, safe looking and very-slightly-boring family car I think. The Kona is a bit more interesting looking if you dont mind losing some boot space.

edit: I drove a Leaf before, compared to that the Niro is a thing of great beauty.

·
Registered
631 Posts

2) Not a fan of chrome.

3) that Kia badge

5) Those alloys

6) rear middle seat

Points 1-5 and 7 are (as you say) just preferences but if they don't work for you, you may feel cheated when you get the car. Point 6 might be a deal breaker so you might want to go for an extended test drive (if you can).

All I can say is that none of your points were remotely a concern for us as we are only two and we think it is a truly great car.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That's because they probably thought the UK never sees the sun and is perpetually hidden behind a blanket of clouds :oops:

·
Registered
39 Posts
We ordered ours today (delivery date on the invoice is 1st June, a tad optimistic we think!)

Most of the cosmetic things you dislike about the car are actually reasons we chose it. It's a deliberately traditional-looking and feeling car which just happens to have a brilliant and eco-friendly powertrain. That's exactly what we were looking for - we didn't want to feel as if we were driving a spaceship.

The Kia badge is not the most prestigious, but they just happen to be a year or two ahead of any affordable competition, and credit to them for that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I find the rear looks good from the rear, but when looking from the side, the back 25% of the car looks a bit squashed, as if it should have been 20 or 30cm longer. As I said, compared to the Leaf its a lot nicer so I'm not bothered.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The USA Niro EV has a sunroof option I think. They just didn't bother with it for the UK.
It’s a shame Kia UK took the decision to go for a level 3 spec as opposed to level 4 for the first edition. Level 4 includes LED lights, little sunroof, and more goodies... it should be on the Second edition. We have done a poll of missing features on the Kia e-niro U.K. interest FB group...the highest votes currently go to phone app and LED lights.
having owned a kona premium SE and luxury ice age cars, also driven Teslas, leaf, and I pace I can say you get used to the niro quickly and soon forget the missing points..it’s just so good at being an EV and so good at being a car. It feels solid, well designed and built...details like aluminium kick plates, illuminated door handles, smooth ride, low cabin noise often don’t get talked about..
the sport mode performance is true GTi level...
The interior is very well designed. The open spacious front and rear really make the car feel comfortable and bigger..

·
Registered
39 Posts
...it’s just so good at being an EV and so good at being a car.
We are certainly looking forward to the delivery of ours next Spring!

I assume the "3.5" spec of the First Edition was to hit a specific price point. I guess they are a little more relaxed on the price now that they know the demand is there, hence the likely "3.75" spec and corresponding price increase for the MY20. From what I understand, the price increase is worth it for the likely spec - although none of this is confirmed yet, and the price increase does need to stay reasonable!!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Got to say that the only two major points that seem to differ on MY2020 are the app and the lights. As I’ve posted elsewhere, I can live without people constantly flashing me due to LEDs and having had the app on the i3, I have simply got bored with it.

I don’t find it much use as the car is always on charge overnight and preconditioned in the morning and I seldom change the settings.

The only thing the BMW app was useful for was determining the charging status when away from home. Since the E-Niro‘s range is going to reduce such incidences to “hardly ever” it will become redundant.

What else do people use the app for regularly?

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I use the app for the Golf most days. I change the % the car charges to for the next morning sometimes, check the charge level to see if I need to plug the car in quite often, my wife drives the Golf mostly but I'm still responsible for the charging apparently.
Now the weather is cooler we use the preheat from the app quite a lot, not only when out and returning to the car, but my wife leaves for work different times every day so a timer with only 2 or 3 time options doesn't work for her routine so the app is really handy.
I also use it to check the efficiency figures, miles driven, how long till the next service...

I miss having an app for the Niro, but mostly for the lack of the preheat now its getting cold and damp in the mornings.
I don't miss it in the same way I would if the Golf didn't have one because of the bigger battery and I drive it most days so see what's going on with it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
We call ours the electric hippo based on its front. It is not the most beautiful car I have ever owned. However, it is the best, most practical EV available at present for the price.
If I was ordering now, I would keep an eye out for the Peugeot 2008 and the Citroen DS to see how they compare.
The only other EVs that were serious contenders were the MG ZS EV and the Tesla M3 SR+. The MG arrived a bit late for me to change my mind for our main car and I still have a few issues to overcome before considering as a second car for my wife. The TM3 was the main rival but was more expensive, less practical and the buying expensive even worse than Kia. The Model Y would probably be a better, more practical alternative but it is not a great looker either and will probably be too expensive.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts