·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Tesla are sort of doing this with their upcoming tab-less cells where the cells all glued together between and upper and lower plate will be a structural component of the car giving high torsional rigidity. See the battery day presentation.

A good idea from a weight/structure point of view, not so good on the reparability scale when your entire battery back is a glued together blob that you can't replace individual cells in...

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Wonder what would happen when you crash it... a non-structural battery can be put in a big, heavy, strong box to try to limit misery during a crash. But wrapping a fully charged bonnet around a lamp post feels like it has potential for being... interesting. I'm not dismissing the technology - the scientist in me says "cool, let's do it!", the engineer in me thinks "how the hell do you productionise this?". Definitely one to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Fire. Fire would happen

Reactions: mad_rich

·
Registered
2021 Corsa-e
181 Posts
I'm not sure about the fire...
The article doesn't explain much, but maybe this type of battery is less prone to fire if punctured.

Anyways, it's interesting.
Although the energy density is lower than current Lithium-Ion batteries, you get a massive weight reduction: You don't need the extra weight of a battery (around 350kg these days for about 50kwh battery), but also they claim its lighter than aluminum, so the body itself will be lighter than in an average car.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The trend towards miniaturisation / integration is great on many levels. Performance, weight, ability to do funky design are all better. Repaiability and recyclability are a nightmare. Needs a proper thinking through of the whole product lifecycle before we head off down this route. Technically very interesting, of course!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts