Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Quick question. I've seen the term 'smet' meter as in electricity meter being used with regards to being able ..or possibly unable to change to a different, maybe more ev friendly supplier. What specifically does smet mean ? I have had a 'smart' meter with British Gas for quite a few years. Does this mean I wouldn't easily be able to change to another supplier..

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,828 Posts
No problem changing supplier.
Mine was installed by Bulb and I swapped to Octopus after a few months due to Bulb's never ending price rises.

·
Registered
95 Posts
SMETS is the umbrella term for Smart Meters. It stands for Smart Metering Equipment Technical Specifications.

Domestic smart meters come in 2 generations. SMETS1 and SMETS2. In both cases you can switch supplier, but if you have a SMETS1 meter it may not be possible for your new supplier to read the meter automatically. In that case you’d be stuck submitting readings manually again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SMETS is the umbrella term for Smart Meters. It stands for Smart Metering Equipment Technical Specifications.

Domestic smart meters come in 2 generations. SMETS1 and SMETS2. In both cases you can switch supplier, but if you have a SMETS1 meter it may not be possible for your new supplier to read the meter automatically. In that case you’d be stuck submitting readings manually again.
So how can I tell if mine is SMETS1 or SMETS2 ?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
@squeezeboxman There is a tool on the Citizens Advice website that will tell you: smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk

·
Registered
MG5
439 Posts
No problem changing supplier.
Mine was installed by Bulb and I swapped to Octopus after a few months due to Bulb's never ending price rises.
Same here bulb fitted the smart meters at the same time I started to switch to Octopus so I could then move to the GO tariff and get the cheap overnight rate.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts

... and the supplier may not be able to set up the meter for the new tariff, if it is time-based, and may therefore need to install a new one.

Reactions: TJEV
1 - 8 of 8 Posts