Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure I read in manual that you could use AC charger on either side of the car?

(On my 55 Etron only the CCS Combo /DC charger works on the driver side of car. When I plug in my home or public AC charger on driver side it shows a red light and does not charge).

Second related question, what is the Max AC charge rate on the 50 or 55 Etron? I read on this forum that it should be 22kw but when I have had my car plugged into a 22kw or 43kw AC charger it seems to only draw 7kw or 11kw at best.

Do I have a fault with my car in terms of max AC charge rate and the inability to AC charge on driver side of vehicle?

·
Registered
2020 - Audi Etron 50 Sport on order
32 Posts
Yes, you can use either side. The e-tron is currently restricted to 11kW on either side. Though, I believe software might later be updated to allow 22kW.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The problem is the "option" is stated to already exist in Audi's marketing.

"The electric SUV can also be recharged with
alternating current (AC) at up to 11 kW; recharging with 22 kW is available as an option".

Audi Technology Portal - Audi e-tron – Charging and thermal management

My understanding is the "optional" 22kW AC charging requires additional hardware. When I asked the dealer how I could get this "option" the answer was I don't know and nobody seems to know either.

It is not anywhere in the configurator when you are customizing your build, it is not something you get at the dealer because asking them causes blank looks. It seems to be one of those marketing gimmicks that doesn't exist but do a Google search and everywhere says E-Tron "charges up to 22kW on AC (as an option). Must hand it to Audi for the outright marketing BS they have pulled. It's right up there with the "All models of E-Torn will get extend range that was circulated back in Nov 2019". Ask a dealer if my 2020 E-Tron has the newer range extending features and you get another blank look.

It looks like I'm panning the car, I'm not as I think my 50 Technik is an excellent car. I'm just panning Audi. Great car, utter crap customer service from Audi as usual.

·
Registered
24 Posts
To charge at 22kw you need a three phase supply. The vast majority of UK homes only have single phase supply and therefore limited to 7kw. Apparently three phase is a lot more common in Europe so suspect VW offer this as an option for those who can take advantage of it (and they, in turn, can take advantage of the customer!)

·
Registered
64 Posts
To charge at 22kw you need a three phase supply. The vast majority of UK homes only have single phase supply and therefore limited to 7kw. Apparently three phase is a lot more common in Europe so suspect VW offer this as an option for those who can take advantage of it (and they, in turn, can take advantage of the customer!)
Apologies for not clarifying previously, I was referring to AC public chargers as per the OP. There are hundreds of 22kW public chargers available that E-Tron owners are stuck at 11kW max. So if you go on a long trip and there are only 22kW public chargers available the E-Tron will charge at 26mph instead of 52ish. So the problem is not about home charging alone.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I often find that when getting to a public (3 phase) charger that the 50kw DC rapid charger is occupied but the 22kw or 43kw AC charger is vacant. On my Etron I’m left charging at 11kw and would obviously prefer to be charging at 22kw or higher as ICDP has said. ......... hence my question

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perhaps it is a paid for option as you/others suggest. The reason I perhaps thought otherwise was because on a previous post someone had provided a comprehensive table of all mainstream BEVs with their standard technical specs. The Etron, from memory, was listed as having 22kw as standard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts