Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Zoe 22kWh, which I intend to sell. One of the potential buyers asked for battery SOH. I remembered I still had some old ODB dongle, so I checked it with CanZE app and, to my horror, it showed 66%. I say horror, as I just bought the battery out from Renault, so it cannot be fixed/replaced for free. However, I haven't noticed any drop in range recently, so I was perplexed. I charged the car fully and went for a trip. I did drive 51 miles, half of this in the city, half on the dual carriageway, doing 65-70 mph. It was cold, about 6 deg. When I finished, I had 15% left indicated. I would think this is not bad for a 22kWh Zoe in cold weather.

The trip computer showed this

It seems that 100% to 15% used 13 kWh, which would be bad, implying about 15 kWh capacity. Then, I plugged it in to a public charger. A weird thing happened - the percentage of charge on the screen went up very quickly, tic-tic-tic, quite literally 1 kWh every few seconds, until it reached about 25% and then gradually slowed down. This suggests to me that the actual level of charged when I stopped was perhaps more than 15%.

When the charge level reached 99% (I did not wait until full balancing finished), the charge showed this (it was still slowly growing):

I'm not sure how much energy is lost during charging, but I'm going to assume 10%. This means I got about 14.1 kWh. The initial charge couldn't possible been 15%, as it quickly increased to 25% or so, so I'm going to assume I had 20-25% left. Hence, 25% to 100% with 14.1 kWh gives capacity of 18.8 kWh, which is about 85% of 22 kWh capacity. This is a very rough estimate, but it is certainly more than 66% from CanZE.

I have a feeling that my onboard computer is confused and returns wrong numbers. How can I fix it? A reboot, perhaps - disconnect the 12 V battery? Or do I need software update from the dealer?

Any help appreciated. I put my selling advert on hold, until I sort this out.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,883 Posts
You need a BMS update to get the proper SOH readout.

I think battery owned still has a warranty?

A good dealer should be able to sort you out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes this sounds like how our Zoe behaved prior to the BMS update. Very unusual charging behaviour and an effective SOH of 72%, I was scared to travel more than 40 miles without a charge. Has your car had the update yet?

Ours is a 2015 with 33,500 miles and we're at 97% SOH and can do about 75 miles mized driving no problem at current temps. I've just done close to 100 miles on a charge but this was all town driving.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens Q210 22kw 2013
431 Posts
you say you 'dug out an obd2 reader' - is this obd2 reader fully compatible with CanZE? - have you got any fields with NaN in them if you have or fields are not showing up properly then you may have an incompatible obd2 reader ... this would give false readings on battery SOH as well as some other fields of information. That does seem very low 66% - the 22kw's have been proved to really keep a good SOH over the years - one of the reasons why renault designed to drop the battery rental altogether , even surprised them how good the li-ion batteries lasted.

You could try a '2 pedal press reset' trick as well and then re-check your SOH? .. it might work.
Here's info how to do it.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,883 Posts
Sorry, but the BMS issue is well documented with the Zoe.

A two pedal reset will do nothing for you I’m afraid.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
You need a BMS update to get the proper SOH readout.

I think battery owned still has a warranty?

A good dealer should be able to sort you out.
It should revert to an 8 year/66% capacity warranty (from registration date). At least that's what some of us were told would happen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you say you 'dug out an obd2 reader' - is this obd2 reader fully compatible with CanZE? - have you got any fields with NaN in them if you have or fields are not showing up properly then you may have an incompatible obd2 reader ...
This is the Konnwei recommended by CanZE. By "old" I meant I bought it 3 years ago, used once and forgot about it.

what does your LBC & LBC2 report @Felisek ? in CanZE?
LBC & LBC2 versions should be 0852 or higher if BMS has ever been done
LBC and LBC2 show software version 0751.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is the Konnwei recommended by CanZE. By "old" I meant I bought it 3 years ago, used once and forgot about it.

Sounds like you need the update... My experience here if it's of any help:

·
Registered
2,426 Posts

Yes, you do need the update.

EDIT: I'm surprised Mackies did not at least suggest updating the BMS seeing as you've had it serviced there for the last 3 years,

Reactions: cah197

·
Zoe Devotee
9,061 Posts
I'm not. 😂
Snap. Mackies seemed ok on my first visit then went down hill fast for me. One of the reasons I never even considered buying an MG from them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mackie's just quoted me £108 for BMS update, though they said "ooh, we really need to see what needs updating".

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This isn't just their "diagnostic" fee?
No. I asked very specifically about BMS and the lady said, if this is just one system update, it is one hour and £108. I'm booked in for Thursday, but before I give them my car I will make sure what I'm paying for.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No. I asked very specifically about BMS and the lady said, if this is just one system update, it is one hour and £108. I'm booked in for Thursday, but before I give them my car I will make sure what I'm paying for.
Fingers crossed, hope they get it sorted no fuss!

·
Super Moderator
7,477 Posts
Why should you pay anything? I'd have gone in with "there's something wrong, it's range has really dropped off and it sits at 99% charge for hours"

Because, it is broken!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,061 Posts
Why should you pay anything? I'd have gone in with "there's something wrong, it's range has really dropped off and it sits at 99% charge for hours"

Because, it is broken!

...Renault... 🤷‍♂️

Comparing my experience with Renault dealers, I used 3 different dealers during the 5 years I had my Zoe only 1 was exceptionally good, and only some of the time and that was entirely down to the head tech who loved the Zoe, then left that dealer before returning a few years later.

Compared to MG dealer I'm using the Renault dealers were crap. That's kinda damning for Renault, the car was good but dealing with Renault and the dealers was pure torture.

I've only had 1 fault on the MG, radio module failed. I raised the issue at the 1st Service (it failed 2 weeks before), and part was ordered, arrived this weekend and I was sent a text at 11pm on Saturday to ask me to book the car in. Was surprised at, someone at the local MG dealership clearly doesn't like work tickets open longer than is necessary. When I had the Zoe TCU replaced I had to call to see if the part was in yet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts