Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the Golf's service manual, it appears to be LIFETIME - in countries without high levels of dust (this does not include the UK) - now obviously this is something you want to make sure is changed, if it needs to be changed, as the results could be catastrophic if it is not done.

If I went by the 5 year mark, my car would be due in two months - but I can't find this consistently documented anywhere.

Where is the 5 year/100k mile rule for cambelt service in the GTE coming from?

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
497 Posts
They won't know. They only know the servicing regime for the first three years .. beyond that they genuinely don't give a ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know how just decide such service intervals. I actually found a garage who said they can check the belt for any cracks and signs of wear..only replace if need be. And water pump doesn't need to be replaced at the same time as it not on the belt I think.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Asked JCB Medway today when in for the 5th service (one of the earliest 2015 cars) and was advised that it is a lifetime item (whatever that means). Unlike a main dealer to not attempt to extract more money but I'm still not convinced by their answer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Asked JCB Medway today when in for the 5th service (one of the earliest 2015 cars) and was advised that it is a lifetime item (whatever that means). Unlike a main dealer to not attempt to extract more money but I'm still not convinced by their answer.
Surprising but I think they were just being honest. "Lifetime" to me, means that it doesn't need any maintenance or periodical replacement during the typical life of the car. That doesn't mean that the belt doesn't need to be replaced ever, it just means that it should be replaced only when there is a need for it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've just purchased my GTE and it was 5 years old back in April this year so the first thing I have done is get on the phone to TPS and order: A full service kit (very reasonable cost for this engine), DSG oil and filter and a timing belt kit (costs are low for this as mentioned there's no belt driven water pump and no aux belt to worry about)

I wouldn't personally let a 1.4tsi belt go over 5 years or 80k, if anyone is interested is doing the belt change you'll need a laser 6348 locking pin set about £34 on amazon. I guess it's difficult for VW to put an exact mileage on a belt change when it depends how much the engine is used and how much the electric motor is used. My car has done quite high mileage which would lead me to think quite a bit has been done on the ICE. Another 2015 may have only done 30k which you would begin to think maybe that's spent most of its life in E mode

1 - 8 of 8 Posts