Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading so many different websites and am more confused now than when I started. Is there a network that stands out? Should I go the monthly subscription route? I collect my new car on 1st Sept so have a lot to sort out. Was thinking of gating an Ohme charger as apparently it works well with Octopus Agile tariff (which I'll be on once they fit my smart meter). I would appreciate any suggestions of advice on how I should move forward. Will probably have to use a 3 pin to start with until I get the wall charger installed. Thanks in advance for any help given.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
You mean a public charging App?

I have all sorts. Pod Point, Polar, Ecotricity, Shell Recharge, ChargePoint, CYC, Engenie and Alfa Power. They’re the ones I can remember!

You need to look at where you’ll be using your car ‘out of home range’ and look on Zap Map or similar to see what If any chargers are predominantly in that area.

Unless you randomly drive yourself beyond return range regularly, you’ll have an idea of where you usually end up. For me it’s the coast or a couple of more distant work locations.

Then you’ve got pay as you go type options such as Instavolt (which I tend to use via the ChargePoint App using my phone as a contactless card) where you just need a debit card.

·
Registered
178 Posts
What you could do is get the free polar subscription trial period. I remember last year when I was looking at the same question that without a home charger using rapid public chargers can be expensive unless you are on a subscription. Polar used to offer 6 months free subscriptions, which would have been good. My idea was to cancel it after the home charger was installed, and use the other pay as you go Polar app when needed.

If you need super charge 150kw speeds the e-golf can’t accept them. However the state of chargers in the UK is shocking so I have lots of different accounts. Maingau is a German company which offers very decent discounts on Ionity chargers in the UK, you just have to translate a little German to fill out the form but my card arrived in days and it’s all in English past the setup. You get the app, Einfach Strom Laden, and it’s all very easy.

for Europe I’ve found Chargemap quite good. They also send out an RFID card and have a great european network.

for local chargers it’s best to check ZapMap and see what your best options are. PodPoint shopping chargers are free to use but some need the app. But, if you’re near home you may as well use the home charger.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Bear in mind that the majority of Polar sites are single unit, so it’s quite possible that your chosen charger will be in use given the mini explosion in the popularity of EVs lately.

That’s why I favour the Instavolt setups, where the majority of sites are at least 2 but often 4, particularly at the newer sites.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome to the club. Once you have had an EV you won't look back. Public charging is a pain simply because of the myriad of different operators there are. Reading back at your post are you actually asking about home charging units?
Firstly - you can survive on a granny charger if you plan effectively. I have done the last 5000 miles in mine charging entirely on the granny charger, worst case its about 14-15 hours to charge which can still be overnight even if nearly empty to start with. Depends on how many miles you are going to do on a daily basis. If you need to use an extension cable make sure you invest in a proper one to do the job.
I am on Agile and its brilliant. Don't think I have paid more than 5p per Kwh to charge since I've been on it. Make sure you invest a couple of quid and download the Octopus watch app - its very helpful. You can do this before you join Octopus and it will give you a good idea of how the pricing varies. I have been waiting on the completion of building work to get a charger installed. The Ohme charger apparently works really well integrating with Octopus agile, but its tethered only so ruled it out for me as I need a cable longer than 5m. I have gone for a Rolec Smarthome which also integrates with Agile and should be able to pick out the cheapest times to charge etc in much the same way as the Ohme. Its powered by the Ev.energy app. Should be installed in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the club. Once you have had an EV you won't look back. Public charging is a pain simply because of the myriad of different operators there are. Reading back at your post are you actually asking about home charging units?
Firstly - you can survive on a granny charger if you plan effectively. I have done the last 5000 miles in mine charging entirely on the granny charger, worst case its about 14-15 hours to charge which can still be overnight even if nearly empty to start with. Depends on how many miles you are going to do on a daily basis. If you need to use an extension cable make sure you invest in a proper one to do the job.
I am on Agile and its brilliant. Don't think I have paid more than 5p per Kwh to charge since I've been on it. Make sure you invest a couple of quid and download the Octopus watch app - its very helpful. You can do this before you join Octopus and it will give you a good idea of how the pricing varies. I have been waiting on the completion of building work to get a charger installed. The Ohme charger apparently works really well integrating with Octopus agile, but its tethered only so ruled it out for me as I need a cable longer than 5m. I have gone for a Rolec Smarthome which also integrates with Agile and should be able to pick out the cheapest times to charge etc in much the same way as the Ohme. Its powered by the Ev.energy app. Should be installed in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it.
That's very reassuring to read... I'm waiting for my smart meter to be fitted... I'm with Octopus anyway and will change to Agile once it's installed. Very happy to hear about how well the granny charger works feel much better about things now, until I manage to get the Ohme installed. I hope your installation goes well. Thx again for your thoughts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts