Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,991 Posts
That's why I said that the supermarket rapids are useful when I'm close to home. Let's say, for example, that I'm going to make a long journey the next day and don't have a charger at home. I can go to charge the car and whilst it's charging I can do some shopping. Anyone that doesn't have a charger at home will find these supermarket rapids very useful.

If you are on a cross-country trip then it's better to stop at a pub/restaurant/hotel where you can relax for the 30-45 minutes the charge takes.
... only if you have a 3kW charger and sleep for 4 hours.

I suggest you don't make the journey with either a car you don't have an adequate charger for, or don't sleep enough.

·
Registered
233 Posts
They are already at the best place for my needs - MSAs. It's just a case of improving the current offering. We need more of them, more reliable units, and ideally a bit of shelter from the bad weather.

The only time I NEED a rapid charger is when doing a long distance journey. In which case I'm already on a motorway. I don't like having to leave the road to go hunting for a Holiday Inn ultracharger, or a nearby Lidl or anything like that. So as long as the EH charger works I'm happier to use that. Short walk indoors to a number of places where I can buy food or drink, or use the toilets. Everything I need is there.

I guess an extension to this is the need for them along major A roads too. Routes like the A1 up into Scotland can be very busy roads but there's not really anything like a proper services along there aside from the odd petrol station- if you're lucky it might have a toilet. and you're going to have to leave the road and head into a small town along the way for the most part. The few rapid chargers they do have are single units, CYC/CPS network, break down frequently and will spend months offline. Depending on what car I'm driving, it can make a trip to Edinburgh near impossible at times.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Major trunk roads that carry large amount of traffic, usually for people driving long distances. There's a thing called services, where it's next to those trunk roads with facilities already built.

But it's not the places that matters, Ecotricity EH has already covered that. Now we need the numbers and reliability. We need number of chargers like those built at MK Coachway, but at every service stations.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Major trunk roads that carry large amount of traffic, usually for people driving long distances. There's a thing called services, where it's next to those trunk roads with facilities already built.

But it's not the places that matters, Ecotricity EH has already covered that. Now we need the numbers and reliability. We need number of chargers like those built at MK Coachway, but at every service stations.
In truth, how many would get used? No commercial provider is going to go to the expense of installing banks of rapid chargers unless they are convinced that they will get a return on their investment. It ends up as a circular argument: providers want to see a greater charger demand to justify the cost of expansion, and potential EV owners want a more 'petrol station like' charging experience before they commit to buying an EV. To complicate matters further, as batteries sizes get bigger and range increases, the demand for rapid charging could fall even as EV ownership increases. I used to do a 120 miles day in my iCE on my daily commute. In the EV that I purchased 4 years ago, this was a struggle often requiring a few kWhs top up enroute. Today, all I need is home charging.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
In truth, how many would get used? No commercial provider is going to go to the expense of installing banks of rapid chargers unless they are convinced that they will get a return on their investment. It ends up as a circular argument: providers want to see a greater charger demand to justify the cost of expansion, and potential EV owners want a more 'petrol station like' charging experience before they commit to buying an EV. To complicate matters further, as batteries sizes get bigger and range increases, the demand for rapid charging could fall even as EV ownership increases. I used to do a 120 miles day in my iCE on my daily commute. In the EV that I purchased 4 years ago, this was a struggle often requiring a few kWhs top up enroute. Today, all I need is home charging.
How does Tesla supercharger work? It's always my view that car manufacturers should be the biggest source of funding for the rapid charging network. It's more about user experience rather than making a profit in this initial mass adoption take-off stage.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,184 Posts
Anywhere. There aren't enough of them up here. I find motorway services the most useful but this needs to extend to A-road pit stops for my liking due to the 60-100 mile range I have.

Fast chargers - all car parks please!

You also don't want the charger to be too fast because then you would feel an obligation to come back to the car and unplug.
The (very minor) downside of having a Zoe which can make full use of those 22kW posts :D

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I don't think demand for rapid chargers will fall because the low-range electric cars that already sold are likely to be on the road for 10-15 years, whilst new longer-range ones are added. However it's true that demand for chargers won't necessarily be proportional to the increase in car numbers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't think demand for rapid chargers will fall because the low-range electric cars that already sold are likely to be on the road for 10-15 years, whilst new longer-range ones are added. However it's true that demand for chargers won't necessarily be proportional to the increase in car numbers.
With big batteries in BEVs there will always be a demand for rapids anywhere you might reasonably stop en route / or as a destination on a day out, because anything slower isn’t practical and people won’t want to have to plan. So for me that means tourist attractions, football grounds, museums, etc etc.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Any place with a cafe and toilets near a large road should look at installing a rapid. Tesco on the M3/A34 junction springs to mind.
Good call. I haven't got an EV but was looking in to my potential usage and charging sites (I don't have a charging space at the moment either). There seems to be absolutely nothing on the M40 either, apart from a Tesla only at Warwick services, although I'm always happy to be updated.

At least Morrisons just off the A3M at Horndean have recently installed charging, quite useful for those heading for the coast and going either way on the A or M27.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Rapids at football grounds for use on match days are useless as everyone arrives/leaves at the same time.
True, but a few 7kW posts (or even 3kW) at sports clubs, council grounds would be useful for us amateurs dashing round the nearby counties to play. Staying around 3 hours (changing, warm-up, game etc.) would be ideal, when a heavily loaded lower range EV in winter needs to get home again.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
With big batteries in BEVs there will always be a demand for rapids anywhere you might reasonably stop en route / or as a destination on a day out, because anything slower isn’t practical and people won’t want to have to plan. So for me that means tourist attractions, football grounds, museums, etc etc.
The thing about having rapids at a destination is that if you're going to stay for several hours then you would be blocking the charger and preventing other people from using it after the first 45 minutes. In those kinds of places the same money would be better spent on having a large number of fast chargers. If the destination is a hotel then it doesn't matter because you can just come out and move the car, but you wouldn't want to have to do that at a football stadium.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Good call. I haven't got an EV but was looking in to my potential usage and charging sites (I don't have a charging space at the moment either). There seems to be absolutely nothing on the M40 either, apart from a Tesla only at Warwick services, although I'm always happy to be updated.

At least Morrisons just off the A3M at Horndean have recently installed charging, quite useful for those heading for the coast and going either way on the A or M27.
Did you look at a Zapmaps? You can use its trip planner and it will suggest where to stop. The M40 is pretty much festooned with rapid chargers of various types. There are Ecotricity chargers at all of the motorway service stations and plenty of other alternatives as well. I think at this point the only place where you might struggle is in Snowdonia.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
It's a dreadful place to put a rapid charger.
For what possible reason would you want to rapid charge on your short distance route?
You don't have charging capabilty at home or work

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,991 Posts
You don't have charging capabilty at home or work
Then you're nuts for getting a BEV. That's just being a glutton for punishment at the hands of a society/Gov/industry that doesn't give a shyte about helping you own a BEV.

Maybe in a few years such a mad idea might be plausible.

Right now ... no home charger ... no work charger ... FFS, you're going to rely on a local supermarket to do all your charging at? Bonkers, totally, hopelessly bonkers.

It's be a bit like never investing in cutlery or food and relying on the Asda canteen to provide all of your meals. I mean, really, why not if you are going to spend half your life there?

No .. sorry, your scenario is ridiculous.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,184 Posts
I think it depends on the local situation, and your personal driving habits.

Here we have a quiet town (pop: 13k) with 4 Instavolt rapids if you don't have a Zoe, or a Geniepoint if you do plus a 7kW at the church for donations if the Geniepoint is down (which it can be for months admittedly as it's OLEV funded via the council, out of warranty and outside of OLEV's contractual support lifetime).

Perhaps I'd have prioritised a Leaf since the Instavolts popped up, but it'd be perfectly fine to own an EV here without home charging based on my driving patterns - I'd just pop to the supermarket at lunchtime (5 minute drive) a couple of times a week. It's a bit more often than popping to the petrol station to fuel up, but I go to the supermarket anyway so it's all good and still doesn't cost more than petrol even on IV.

Home charging to me is a nice perk but not essential.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Then you're nuts for getting a BEV. That's just being a glutton for punishment at the hands of a society/Gov/industry that doesn't give a shyte about helping you own a BEV.

Maybe in a few years such a mad idea might be plausible.

Right now ... no home charger ... no work charger ... FFS, you're going to rely on a local supermarket to do all your charging at? Bonkers, totally, hopelessly bonkers
Not if you are comparing haveing a Model 3 and a BMW 3 as a company car, and you do little driving other then moterways.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts