Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, not ever driving or even being in a passenger in one I am now an owner of a 2013 Zoe and just wondering what they are supposed to sound like when you accelerate? are they supposed to 'Shrill' on acceleration or sound like those old washing machines with the carbon brushes going into spin cycle?

Have recorded this with my mobile phone and if you can hear under the rumbles and scuffs you can hear the faint scream mine makes when accelerating ...

Renault Zoe sound on accelerating

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
992 Posts
The sound reccording isn't great and won't compare to sitting in the car myself and listening to it, but nothing sounds obviously wrong to me there. You will get a high pitched noise when accelerating (and often with regen as you slow down too) in all EVs. With the Zoe the Q motors were always a bit more noticeable than the R ones in my opinion, but neither were especially intrusive.

While it is likely you have a fault with the HVAC system on your car as established on one of your other threads, I don't think you have anything wrong with the motor at all. I personally wouldn't be worrying about that sound.

EDIT - See this link - The recording was taken right beside the motor so will be much louder than what you hear inside the cabin, but it gives you a good idea of the clean sound that you would be hearing from a Zoe. What you hear in this linked video is absolutely fine and normal.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that .. no I wasn't particularly worried about it or thought it was a fault , I have just never heard a Zoe accelerating noise ever before so was just wondering . It sound like its a carbon brush on an armature motor but it would be more of an induction motor like they put on the top end washing machines .

I havent noticed the noise on de-cellerating / regen in my car when i take my foot off the accellerator in mine I dont think . it only appears to shrill as I am accelerating in my particular Zoe - i welcome though that it how its supposed to sound - hundred times better than a noisy ol petrol engine and 200 times better than a diesel in my opinion .. I'm loving my zoe at the moment (apart fromthe A/C issue at the moment)

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,951 Posts
Today I learned Zoe sounds like a Formula E car under all that soundproofing 😁

Reactions: Andy-Zoé-User

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when me wife got in it the other day she said 'its not very responsive is it?' we got on a straight bit of road and me in my passenger seat turned the eco button off - her face , she's like what did you do ? I said i have turned eco off - she compared the noise of it like taking off in an aeroplane .. she felt like it was going to lift off lol :D

·
Zoe Devotee
9,125 Posts
when me wife got in it the other day she said 'its not very responsive is it?' we got on a straight bit of road and me in my passenger seat turned the eco button off - her face , she's like what did you do ? I said i have turned eco off - she compared the noise of it like taking off in an aeroplane .. she felt like it was going to lift off lol :D
Wait until you try an EV with high torque.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and I get , well all I can describe is 'Groaning' for a couple of seconds then goes off when i put my foot on the footbrake to start the 'engine' - I am presuming that noise is for the brake servo maybe?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts