Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
LEAF is an acronym (Leading, Environmentally Friendly, Affordable Family Vehicle) so LEAFs is more correct IMO :)

I would say Teslas.

Tesla's infers ownership by Tesla and IMO is incorrect.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
LEAF is an acronym (Leading, Environmentally Friendly, Affordable Family Vehicle) so LEAFs is more correct IMO :)

I would say Teslas.

Tesla's infers ownership by Tesla and IMO is incorrect.
I didn't realise LEAF was an acronym - I haven't been capitalising it. I will have to change my behaiviour on that henceforth.

As for Tesla's - argh, don't get me started on apostrophe misuse! I regularly follow a van labelled "Hert's Cooling"; I get quite twitchy about it after a mile or two...

(And, of course, I strongly suspect this post is riddled with grammar and spelling errors, because they always are when you get on your high horse about such things...)

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
The plural of volt is volts but the accepted plural of tesla is tesla. :)

OED examples:

• A magnet with 1.0 tesla field strength would have a stronger magnetic field and be more forceful than a magnet with a 0.5 tesla magnetic field.
  • While most MRI systems in use today are powered 1.5-tesla or 3.0-telsa magnets, this new high resolution MRI system has a 9.4-tesla magnet, built by GE Healthcare.
  • Such a current would produce a magnetic field of up to 15 tesla in these wires - powerful enough to use in several futuristic spacecraft propulsion systems, which is why the Army has awarded Adams’ team a grant to develop the technology.

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
OK how about a collective noun for a group of Teslas ?

An Elon of Tesla?

On second thought Elon of Tesla sounds like a long forgotten saint.

How about a smug?

If we are coining a new one, my vote goes for a pterodactyl of Tesla.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
The plural of volt is volts but the accepted plural of tesla is tesla. :)

OED examples:
You're not getting that quite right IMHO.

You could have a three LEAF gathering or you can have a gathering of three LEAFs.
You could have a three Tesla gathering or you could have a gathering three Teslas.

All the examples you give above are taking the first form from the above, for example a 2 Tesla measurement would also be a measurement of 2 Teslas. If you see what I mean.

The references I could find show it as a "T or t" and plural as "ts Ts".

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Ahh a 3 volt coil has 3 volts applied. Ok.

I'm sticking to Pterodactyl.

People here always use tesla, even in cases where maybe it should be teslas.

Either that or use the Larmor Frequency. I suppose that is a cheat too.

I'm an software engineer' and have no'idea about how code in English.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.