Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've Solar Panels, so I'm getting a Zappi charger. I'm trying to decide whether to get the tethered or untethered version.

Untethered obviously looks much neater, but tethered would save getting the cable out of the boot.

If I was to go untethered, how long is the supplied Type-2 cable please ?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Do consider you will need to use your own cable on some chargers, so it will need to be in the boot anyway.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. But can someone please confirm it's length ? If I go untethered, I need to know as to where I cannot locate it

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Think most are around 4.5 - 5 metres but you need the manufacturer to tell you.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
the whole point of untethered is you can buy the cable you need, they don't come with one. I have a 10m one as my car is usually last on the drive and I need to go round the boss's one. It normally lives plugged into the wallbox and is treated like a tethered one.

Tethered ones are usually 4.5-5m long, some suppliers have an option for a longer one if you ask.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes. But can someone please confirm it's length ? If I go untethered, I need to know as to where I cannot locate it
championc is looking for the length of the type 2 cable that comes with the car.

I think it's a standard 5 metres, from what I've read but would need an owner to confirm.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Correct - that's exactly what I want to know (thanks for trying to steer the enquiry back on-topic)
There’s an assumption there that the one that’s coming is the same as ones that have already been supplied with MY19. It almost certainly will be and around 5 metres but it’s not easy to offer a precise measurement. In practice, the degree of actual reach will depend on the car’s parking orientation, charger height etc.

If you bear with me 10 mins I’ll give you a measurement though.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
So the length of exposed cable between the protected sheaths at the end of both plugs is precisely 4.66m. If you include the plugs on both ends it’s approx 5 metres.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
And just my observations on the merits of either option!

Untethered is tidier at the house end yes but bear in mind when you charge you have to get a cable out and plug two ends in not one. The type 2 cable comes with a rubber plug cover on the car end which if you use it to do its job means another delay in removing and replacing it for stowage.

The cable will get wet and dirty outside so are you going to want it in the boot? It naturally lives under the floor but that’s another time consuming job to fold it up and if you carry stuff in your boot it’s a faff to lift the floor anyway.

The upside of the Niro is the range so maybe you don’t need to charge every day/night. If that’s the case, it‘s less hassle.

I know what I want, simplicity! When it’s dark, freezing and peeing down, I make sure the delayed charging is set, get out of my car, open the charger door, lift my charger from its holster, plug it in and lock the car. Job done (y)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm planning on an untethered (and getting a second type 2), because mine is going in a garage and the five metre one will be fine for the Niro, but might not for other cars in the future

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
My tethered is in the garage just inside the door but with the 5m cable fed (safely) outside and holstered in a spare socket. I had to reverse the i3 onto the drive whereas the Niro goes in forwards.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm one of them odd people who actually park a car in the garage, and reversing in wouldn't be wife friendly!

Covering my bases (although I wouldn't have any worries in replacing a tethered cable either.)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Many thanks for the replies. I'll work on the basis of 5m so and locate the charger within 5m of where I would propose to put the front end of the car

·
Registered
13 Posts
I normally charge in our garage and have a Pod Point untethered charger sited beside the front main garage door. I purchased a 10m cable to go to the back of the garage and across to the charging socket. I have also fitted a 125mm fan duct through the front brickwork into a hinged door waterproof electrical box. This way I can easily feed the cable outside to charge if the garage is not available. Bear in mind if you go for an untethered unit you have the flexibility (with the correct cable) to charge other than type 2 cars.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I normally charge in our garage and have a Pod Point untethered charger sited beside the front main garage door. I purchased a 10m cable to go to the back of the garage and across to the charging socket. I have also fitted a 125mm fan duct through the front brickwork into a hinged door waterproof electrical box. This way I can easily feed the cable outside to charge if the garage is not available. Bear in mind if you go for an untethered unit you have the flexibility (with the correct cable) to charge other than type 2 cars.
I was originally going to go for untethered but really, I can't see Type 2 being replaced any time soon given the uptake of it. I don't know anyone with a Type 1 car either. Since there's only one parking space and no garage, it makes more sense to go tethered in my case. Haven't decided whether to go 5m or 10m though! 5m would be enough for a car with the charge port at the front, which seems to be more common on newer EVs. It'd be a struggle with side ports though, particularly since reversing into the space is difficult.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Cormac,
You'll have seen me posting on the e-Niro FB group too (Rachel). I've had an EV for 4 years. Started with an untethered home socket, but soon realised (as others here have said) that it's a lot of hassle to be constantly unplugging your home charge lead to put in the back of the car, plus they do get dirty. That doesn't necessarily mean you should have a tethered charger at home, just that you will probably end up either with a tethered home charger + car lead or 2 x leads! In my Leaf I always kept a coiled 5m lead and found that really good as it doesn't sit in the muck on the ground when charging. If I hadn't upgraded my home charger to an OpenEVSE unit (which is tethered), I would have used my e-Niro supplied lead at home on the socketed charger and bought another 5m coiled (Type 2 - Type 2 unlike the Leaf unfortunately) for the boot of the e-Niro.

Not sure if that's very helpful now I've read it again!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Cormac,
You'll have seen me posting on the e-Niro FB group too (Rachel). I've had an EV for 4 years. Started with an untethered home socket, but soon realised (as others here have said) that it's a lot of hassle to be constantly unplugging your home charge lead to put in the back of the car, plus they do get dirty. That doesn't necessarily mean you should have a tethered charger at home, just that you will probably end up either with a tethered home charger + car lead or 2 x leads! In my Leaf I always kept a coiled 5m lead and found that really good as it doesn't sit in the muck on the ground when charging. If I hadn't upgraded my home charger to an OpenEVSE unit (which is tethered), I would have used my e-Niro supplied lead at home on the socketed charger and bought another 5m coiled (Type 2 - Type 2 unlike the Leaf unfortunately) for the boot of the e-Niro.

Not sure if that's very helpful now I've read it again!!
Thanks for that. Food for thought about a dirty cable indeed. It I used the car supplied cable, it would be on the ground every time.

·
Registered
162 Posts
One option:
If you have a tethered charger cable for now and may go untethered in future, when that time arises just cut the cable close to the wall unit and add an inline socket.

·
Registered
323 Posts
One great advantage of having an untethered socket is that it is easy to replace the cable if it becomes damaged. Both my cable and my son's have suffered damage and needed replacement.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts