Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
This might be in the manual; but I haven't had a chance to finish reading yet (it's sooo long) so maybe someone can explain it quicker than I'll get to it...

Now and then I see this icon appear next to my speed on the Active Info Display (apologies for the poor picture, my wife took it from the passenger seat and didn't realize how bad it was until we got back)...

It's an outline of a foot with an error underneath it, as if it's telling you to lift off the pedal:

Car Vehicle Auto part Odometer Bmw

It seems to really randomly appear. When I noticed it just now, I was just driving normally and it came on. I think my foot was still on the accelerator, but the icon remained even when I lifted off and then started to brake. It disappeared around the time I came to a stop.

I've seen it a couple of times now, but can't figure out what it's supposed to be indicating. Any ideas?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might this be an aid to optimise efficiency. Using the available data it may be indicating when lifting off the accelerator will enable the car to coast effectively.
If so, it would be a little weird to keep it on when I'm braking (unless it's some sort of reminder "hey, you wouldn't need to break so much if you'd lifted off earlier", but since it's hardly realistic to drive around without braking, this would be a bit crazy) and I'd probably see it on a lot more often than I have been.

I guess it must be in the manual, so I should just grab it out and finish going through it!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I guess it must be in the manual, so I should just grab it out and finish going through it!
TBH, I had a good look in the online manual (thanks to the review test reg that got mentioned elsewhere) and couldn't find anything even vaguely related looking for keywords like 'light' (I assume there's a non-active-info-display equivalent?), 'pedal' or 'arrow'... but perhaps I'm an idiot and missed it somewhere, or the printed manual differs from the online one...

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TBH, I had a good look in the online manual (thanks to the review test reg that got mentioned elsewhere) and couldn't find anything even vaguely related looking for keywords like 'light' (I assume there's a non-active-info-display equivalent?), 'pedal' or 'arrow'... but perhaps I'm an idiot and missed it somewhere, or the printed manual differs from the online one...
I found the online one a pain to search/navigate, so maybe if it's there it'll be easier to find in paper. Will grab it out the car today and have a scan through and post back

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe @Steofthedale was right; I found this with an icon that looks a little bit like it. The description doesn't match up perfectly, but it's the closest I've found, I suspect this is it :)

The place where I remember it was at a junction with lights (though the speed limit increased). This specifically mentions junctions, so seems likely. I now wonder if maybe Even with recuperation off, the e-Golf sometimes regen brakes? is related, though can't find indication it'd brake for you.

Text Font Technology Electronic device Games

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So it sounds like this and the braking I mentioned maybe related - maybe if I'm going quickly towards a function/roundabout if first shows this icon telling me to take my foot off the gas, and then later when it decides I'm still going too quickly it brakes?

The only strange thing is that this icon remained lit even after I had my foot on the brake - though maybe that's just there to make sure it's more obvious to me ("told you so, now you're having to brake"). Next time I'm out I'll see if they appear together.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I'm pretty certain this icon and the braking are related now. In all cases where the car automatically braked the icon appeared first. Seems like the car is using navigation data to tell when you're coming to junctions and roundabouts and "suggesting" you lift off and coast quite far back (it's surprisingly good at predicting - every time I think "if I lift now, I'll stop well before the junction!" it turns out the car knew better). If you don't slow down enough, it gives you a little help braking (though only gently, probably because it doesn't really know whether you can carry straight onto the roundabout etc. as it can't see if there's anything coming around).

·
Registered
817 Posts
This might be in the manual; but I haven't had chance to finish reading yet (it's sooo long) so maybe someone can explain it quicker than I'll get to it...

Now and then I see this icon appear next to my speed on the Active Info Display (apologies for the poor picture, my wife took it from the passenger seat and didn't realise how bad it was until we got back)...

It's an outline of a food with an error underneath it, as if it's telling you to lift off the pedal:

View attachment 71409

It seems to really randomly appear. When I noticed it just now, I was just driving normally and it came on. I think my foot was still on the accelerator, but the icon remained even when I lifted off and then started to brake. It disappeared around the time I came to a stop.

I've seen it a couple of times now, but can't figure out what it's supposed to be indicating. Any ideas?
iircc, its the ACC helper. there is a box with a tick in it somewhere in the settings you can turn this off. I found it to be very annoying when I wanted to free wheel into a 30, 40 , 50 zone and the ACC would cut in and brake for me. I hated this feature.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.