Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
88FED12D-F7AF-4E55-9C88-6470A4FE05CE.jpeg

0DB093FD-E405-40F0-B7EE-1DF7684961FE.jpeg

I’ve just found out that my local council is going to install a charging point in my road. The above works were done opposite my house last week. What have they done, and is it connected to the future arrival of a charging post. The forty that they are installing across the borough should all be working by mid August if all goes to plan.

·
Registered
247 Posts
That’s for the new 5G stealth mast as your area has been selected for the second wave ground zero.

Seriously it could be an isolator for a new post. For unmetered supplies the nearest something is often tapped for a supply. OpenReach boxes (is that one?) are unmetered and pay a flat rate.

when I arranged for my daughters leccy meter to be moved outside an onwards loop was discovered from the bottom of the cutout and found to be powering the footpath lighting. The DNO moved it underground out of ‘her’ meter box.

·
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The box was added at the same time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The box was added at the same time.
One has appeared at the end of my road as well In Newham. Box wasn’t closed so rubbish already starting to build up, my brother had walked passed and said it looked like 3 phase cables running to it so could be lamp post charger.
Did the council contact you? I have not heard anything.

·
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One has appeared at the end of my road as well In Newham. Box wasn’t closed so rubbish already starting to build up, my brother had walked passed and said it looked like 3 phase cables running to it so could be lamp post charger.
Did the council contact you? I have not heard anything.
The Council has a programme to install and activate Charging points across the borough. There have, unfortunately, been delays due to the COVID 19 pandemic, however I can confirm that the initial 40 charging points listed below should be available to use by Mid-August.

AddressPostcodeCharge Point Location
WENTWORTH ROADE12 5BD38 Wentworth Road
CLARENCE ROADE12 5ADS/O 1 Carlton Road
SHAKESPEARE CRESCENT E12 6LL1 Shakespeare Crescent
DERSINGHAM AVENUEE12 5QHJ/W Jack Cornwell Street
WOODHOUSE GROVEE12 6SR2 Woodhouse Grove
MANOR PARK ROADE12 5DA69 Manor Park Road
STRATFORD ROADE13 0JNJ/W Valetta Grove
TUNMARSH CENTREE13 9NYJ/W Upperton Road
CORONATION ROADE13 9QBOPP 11
AMITY ROADE15 4ATS/O 81 Portway
CAISTOR PARK ROADE15 3PS118 Caistor Park Road
WHITE ROADE15 4ESVicarage Lane
GREERE ROADE15 3PN 2 Geere Road
MANBY STREETE15 1EU49 Manby Street
LIDDINGTON ROADE15 3PJS/O 102 Portway
WADDINGTON ROADE15 1QFJ/W Alma Street
ALBERT SQUAREE15 1HL33 Ash Road
GIBBINS ROADE15 2HUOPP Car Park
PANDORA COURTE16 1FSPandora Court
EDWIN STREETE16 1QAOPP 8 Fife Road
HAMMERSLEY ROADE16 1FW114 Hammersley Road
BRADLEY STONE ROADE6 5YA2 Bradley Stone Road
DENBIGH ROADE6 3LF 44 Dendigh Road
MONMOUTH ROADE6 3QT65 Monmouth Road
BEVERLEY ROADE6 3LH1 Beverley Road
HENNIKER GARDENSE6 3HSS/O 136 Henniker Gardens
LORNE ROADE7 0LL86 Lorne Road
RIDLEY ROADE7 0JS115 Ridley Road
SHERRARD ROADE7 8JF1 Sherrard Road
SOUTH ESK ROADE7 8EYJ/W Katherine Road
GROVE CRESCENT ROAD LONDONE15 1BJ
VERNON AVENUEE12 6DEJ/W Sixth Avenue
ST WINIFRIDES AVENUEE12 6HQS/O St Mary's Church
GAINSBOROUGH AVENUEE12 6JNJ/W Church Road

Please also note that plans are in place for a further tranche of charging points to be completed during the autumn and you can make formal representations should you have a desired location, by e-mailing [email protected] .

Is your road on the list? Mine is :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
The Council has a programme to install and activate Charging points across the borough. There have, unfortunately, been delays due to the COVID 19 pandemic, however I can confirm that the initial 40 charging points listed below should be available to use by Mid-August.

AddressPostcodeCharge Point Location
WENTWORTH ROADE12 5BD38 Wentworth Road
CLARENCE ROADE12 5ADS/O 1 Carlton Road
SHAKESPEARE CRESCENTE12 6LL1 Shakespeare Crescent
DERSINGHAM AVENUEE12 5QHJ/W Jack Cornwell Street
WOODHOUSE GROVEE12 6SR2 Woodhouse Grove
MANOR PARK ROADE12 5DA69 Manor Park Road
STRATFORD ROADE13 0JNJ/W Valetta Grove
TUNMARSH CENTREE13 9NYJ/W Upperton Road
CORONATION ROADE13 9QBOPP 11
AMITY ROADE15 4ATS/O 81 Portway
CAISTOR PARK ROADE15 3PS118 Caistor Park Road
WHITE ROADE15 4ESVicarage Lane
GREERE ROADE15 3PN2 Geere Road
MANBY STREETE15 1EU49 Manby Street
LIDDINGTON ROADE15 3PJS/O 102 Portway
WADDINGTON ROADE15 1QFJ/W Alma Street
ALBERT SQUAREE15 1HL33 Ash Road
GIBBINS ROADE15 2HUOPP Car Park
PANDORA COURTE16 1FSPandora Court
EDWIN STREETE16 1QAOPP 8 Fife Road
HAMMERSLEY ROADE16 1FW114 Hammersley Road
BRADLEY STONE ROADE6 5YA2 Bradley Stone Road
DENBIGH ROADE6 3LF44 Dendigh Road
MONMOUTH ROADE6 3QT65 Monmouth Road
BEVERLEY ROADE6 3LH1 Beverley Road
HENNIKER GARDENSE6 3HSS/O 136 Henniker Gardens
LORNE ROADE7 0LL86 Lorne Road
RIDLEY ROADE7 0JS115 Ridley Road
SHERRARD ROADE7 8JF1 Sherrard Road
SOUTH ESK ROADE7 8EYJ/W Katherine Road
GROVE CRESCENT ROAD LONDONE15 1BJ
VERNON AVENUEE12 6DEJ/W Sixth Avenue
ST WINIFRIDES AVENUEE12 6HQS/O St Mary's Church
GAINSBOROUGH AVENUEE12 6JNJ/W Church Road

Please also note that plans are in place for a further tranche of charging points to be completed during the autumn and you can make formal representations should you have a desired location, by e-mailing [email protected] .

Is your road on the list? Mine is :)
Yes mine is, a couple minutes away walk.

·
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All looks promising then! What charge capacity did they promise?

I see their doc says ‘double posts’ so is that [email protected] or better than that?
I read somewhere that it will be “medium fast”, whatever that means.

·
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope that they put 2 bays per post, as they'll have only 1 per several roads.
I found Newham’s draft plan for parking controls. It indicated that there would be two bays reserved for vehicles that are charging. Maximum permitted time limit is 4 hours. Five minute grace period before getting a PCN, and 30 minutes before being towed :)

At the moment a resident parking permit for the first vehicle is free. When the new plan is implemented, it will depend on emissions. EVs are on the first charging tier which is free. The next tier up is £60.

·
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A moles eye view:

E9047C12-EAD2-4D4B-9A92-801D3D02297E.png

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looking good!

Is that Ubitricity? What's the cost per kwh to charge?
No details yet who is running it. Hoping it won’t be 33p per kWh that Ubitricity charge. Otherwise I will use the Chargemaster Post which a 15 minute walk away as I have a Polar Plus subscription which includes the kWh charges.

·
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe by "medium fast" they mean 5kW which is what Ubitricity posts provide, i.e. not "fast" = 7kW, but better than "slow" = 3.5kW.
The guys who did the work were from a lamppost installation company. Although they will be free standing posts, I’m guessing the power will come from the street lighting network and deliver 5kW.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No details yet who is running it. Hoping it won’t be 33p per kWh that Ubitricity charge. Otherwise I will use the Chargemaster Post which a 15 minute walk away as I have a Polar Plus subscription which includes the kWh charges.
Hello everyone

Full disclosure - I work for ubitricity. I hope these points help clear up a few questions for people in this thread. I'll do my utmost to stick to facts and avoid sales messages so I stay within the rules of the forum. 😬

Judging by the logo on top of the bollard, those charge points are by Chargy. They are most likely 7kW as they are powered by a dedicated supply in a feeder pillar (the big black box at the back of the pavement in the first photo). You will most likely have to pay 33p/kWh for pay as you go access, as that is Chargy's standard pay as you go rate.

ubitricity charges 24p/kWh for pay as you go. There's no connection fee, but there is a minimum charge of 50p. If you're connected for 30 mins or more, the minimum fee isn't a worry. The average plug in time is around 7 hours.

We do offer lower rates of 16.2p/kWh for members, but that involves buying our smart cable (for now) and paying a monthly membership fee. If you're an average driver, pay as you go is good value.

Our charge points for public use run at 5.5kW because that's the most we can take from a lamppost. We install inside lampposts when the lamppost is next to the kerb or in a bollard when the lamppost is at the back of the pavement. Our bollards are made out of a kind of polymer that meets passive safety standards. So they bend enough to reduce the severity of injuries in the event of a collision.

5.5kW is a tricky number to classify. Personally I like the term Medium to describe the zone between 3.6kW (Slow) and 7kW (Fast). Because most charging happens overnight (the joy of having charge points on your street when you don't have a driveway), drivers are typically plugged in for at least twice as long as their car will take a charge. Across 50,000 charge sessions last year, the average charge event used 12kWh. So 5.5kW is more than ample for this type of charging.

We restarted installations about 2 weeks ago and are now installing about 60 charge points a week across London. That will increase to about 100 a week from August at least to the end of 2020. Sadly we haven't had much joy with Newham (now I know why) but we are expanding our existing networks nearby in Greenwich, Tower Hamlets, Hackney and Waltham Forest.

Hope that helps and I stayed the right side of guidelines on commercial messages.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts