Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought it would be fun to see how efficient I am over a thousand miles, and saw today that I average 4.5 miles per kWh. Do you average more or less than this? I struggle to get anything over 6.0 miles per kWh for one off journeys.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,183 Posts
I'm at just over 1600 miles and when I looked this morning it said 4.1 m/kWh.

I have had a brilliant single journey score of 5.5 m/kWh.
IMG_20200426_140120.jpg

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I have absolutely no idea as I reset mine every time I charge the car. The trip journey zeros itself too soon for my usage.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Someone's been draughting behind caravans, tractors and road sweepers in the hot weather.

Reactions: Stevedoz

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone's been draughting behind caravans, tractors and road sweepers in the hot weather
Granted it was hot when I got over 6 miles per kWh, but that was on a run to Birmingham airport. I think the MG is pretty efficient, as if driven right I am finding I am getting nearly 4 in the winter.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had a brilliant single journey score of 5.5 m/kWh.
That's quite good. Where did you manage that? I got over 6 once, but it was very flat on a very warn day near Birmingham airport. I normally struggle to get anything over 5.5

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,183 Posts
That's quite good. Where did you manage that? I got over 6 once, but it was very flat on a very warn day near Birmingham airport. I normally struggle to get anything over 5.5
During the worst of lockdown I knew of a farm shop that was well stocked (had eggs and flour!!!) with no queueing just outside a local(ish) town. It was on the hottest day we've had this year, somewhere around 25.5c. The route is a bit up and down, but mainly 40 mph max with a bit of 50 and 60 mph (on a very flat run). After the return the overall was 4.7 m/kWh

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,183 Posts
How the sausage are you guys getting it that high? I have about 3.5 I think.
Gentle right foot. I once got a trip to Blackpool in a Mitsubishi Mirage going north on the M6, about 80 miles, arriving with 100 mpg showing on the indicator.

·
Registered
711 Posts
My average in about 5000 miles is 4.2. According to the BMW app my all time average recuperation is 17.9 mi/kWh which I can’t make much sense of. Does this mean that I should have used 22.1 mi/kWh without recuperation so have saved 81%? Doesn’t sound credible.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,183 Posts
There is gentle foot and then there is gentle foot. I managed to get 5 on some mixed driving the other day but the motorway kills it
Yeah I tried to be really really good yesterday on a trip on the motorway. Sticking to 65 mph, trying to keep my consumption down. After about an hour, the little devil on my shoulder says, this is boring. Woops.;)

Reactions: rikdud

·
Registered
792 Posts
My average in about 5000 miles is 4.2. According to the BMW app my all time average recuperation is 17.9 mi/kWh which I can’t make much sense of. Does this mean that I should have used 22.1 mi/kWh without recuperation so have saved 81%? Doesn’t sound credible.
Not being familar with the i3 or the BMW app I can only guess that this means that for your journeys and driving style, every 17.9 miles on average the regen system has recovered 1 kWh - enough for another 4.2 miles, or a range increase of about 23.5 %. If that's right, the car without the regen activated would have given 3.2 miles/kWh.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Not being familar with the i3 or the BMW app I can only guess that this means that for your journeys and driving style, every 17.9 miles on average the regen system has recovered 1 kWh - enough for another 4.2 miles, or a range increase of about 23.5 %. If that's right, the car without the regen activated would have given 3.2 miles/kWh.
Makes sense. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
All I can add at the moment is this.... lots of short local journeys around Croydon, Selsdon, Warlingham & Tooting (St. George’s Hospital)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Those of us that bought our cars in winter are at a distinct disadvantage unless we reset our accumulated totals.

Most people who bought then had totals that stayed around 2.9-3.3m/kwh before March.

I managed, by careful driving, to get my winter average up to 3.5m/kwh, despite quite a lot of (slowish) motorways driving.

Although it's 'fun' trying to hypermile sometimes, and is a useful skill for emergencies, on reflection, it's really not worth doing it all the time, and risks irritating other road users,

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,183 Posts
Those of us that bought our cars in winter are at a distinct disadvantage unless we reset our accumulated totals.
I think it was @Sandy who said on another thread, that unlike the Zoe and it seems like you can't fool the system by resetting the overall average. The MG seems to keep a memory of your total efficiency. I've reset my total a couple of times and the m/kWh doesn't seem to alter.

In the Zoe resetting the efficiency would return you back to factory settings. In the 22 kWh it would always start at 128 miles range and in the 40 kWh 180 miles.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,136 Posts
I think it was @Sandy who said on another thread, that unlike the Zoe and it seems like you can't fool the system by resetting the overall average. The MG seems to keep a memory of your total efficiency. I've reset my total a couple of times and the m/kWh doesn't seem to alter.

In the Zoe resetting the efficiency would return you back to factory settings. In the 22 kWh it would always start at 128 miles range and in the 40 kWh 180 miles.
Yeah there doesn't appear to be any kind trick reset, like in other EVs. So resetting trip A or B in MG doesn't affect a made up underlying economy. It seems to keep that hidden.

Average speed of 11mpg for 5 hours!!!! 🤮
I would rather walk
Well average humans walk at 3mph, so your 5 hours turns into a 19hour walk. :ROFLMAO:

Like many cars (not just EVs) the average speed is based on engine (car) on time and not moving time. I think moving time average would be much better.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Average speed of 11mpg for 5 hours!!!! 🤮
I would rather walk
that was over a few weeks!!!! Sitting in queues of traffic going across Mitcham Common. Unfortunately this is normal around here. It’s called South London ....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts