Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Had our car for about a month now and struggle to get miles per kWh above 3, is this normal ??

Driving with epedal turned off Eco on and doing usually about 30 to 50 mph on country roads or in town

Thanks

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
618 Posts
I have a leaf 40KWh, and drive in mainly similar conditions to you, none motorway, I usually achieve an actual 3.8 KWh / mile with heater set to 16 / 17 and only have the A/C on when rainy to prevent misting up, I understand that the e+ is about 10% less efficient than the 40 KWh because of the extra weight and power. I think you should be achieving 3.4 /3.5 KHw / mile.

I never drive in ECO, it does nothing for economy, I always drive with“B” engaged as It is good for slowing down on corners and speed restrictions without have to touch the brake pedal.

If you give that a go you might see an improvement.

Although it’s interesting to see what economy can be achieved through skill full driving, with the Size of battery the e+ has, l wouldn’t be too hung up on economy especially in the winter, just drive and enjoy the car.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,115 Posts
I have a 40 as well. It does a lot of shorter journeys and it's usually 2.7-3 miles per kWh on the out run and 3.3-3.7 on the way back when it's cold. That's with pre heating and having heating on 20c in auto. Normal drive mode in B. Never used eco as it's gutless and awful to drive in comparison.

Zoe doing the same trips was about 10% more efficient at least.

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
709 Posts
Had my e+ for about a month too & do a mixture of A & B roads between 30 & 60mph keeping up with traffic around me with the occasional foot to floor fun, so far have averaged around 3.3 Mp/kWh over 1000 miles...
Considering all the wet & cold weather + the extra weight it carrys I think anywhere between 3 & 3.5 is good this time of yr... I'm hoping for 3.5 to 4 when weather improves...

·
Registered
Leaf e+
189 Posts
1650 miles in since 14th Feb and averaging 3.1 miles/kWh at the moment. around 80% motorway.

I do have a number of journeys saved in leafspy, but don't use dropbox so no way to export!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've had my e+ since Feb 6th and have done 600 miles in it so far.

Reported 'Energy Efficiency' has averaged 3.46 but miles/ metered kWh is only 2.93. (Discrepancy is a measure of charging losses which I have to say seem better with the 62kWh than it was with the 40kWh). This isn't the best time of year and I'd expect to get better figures in another month or so.

I'd second GosportDave's advice to forget the 'eco' button but would go a bit further and advise against routine use of 'B'. Regenerative braking is a boon - when appropriate - but unless & until the Second Law of Thermodynamics has been repealed, giving in to Nissan's obsession with it is counter productive.

I'm very happy to engage eco or even B when I want to slow the car down but left alone, Nissan try to 'regenerate' even when you're driving up a hill !

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all, we’re loving the car but I just wanted to check we didn’t have a technical issue, sounds like not which is good news.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I had a longer run yesterday. Chesterfield - Nottingham - Loughborough - Chesterfield. Mostly motorway @ 60ish but some travel around Nottingham ring road. Total for day was83 miles & dashboard suggested 'Energy Efficiency' was 3.7 for the day. Won't have any 'miles/ metered kWh' figures until I've done another couple of hundred miles.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The average in my car is 3.1
max to date while driving like a 110 years old granny in town was 5.6 :)

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Check the tyre pressures. Mine seemed poor when I first got it but since discovering they were low and are now OK I managed 4.0mpkwH on an 80 mile run yesterday even with the temperature for the return journey at only at 1 - 2 deg C.

Reactions: husoi

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
To add to that post my best so far has been 4.8 mpkwh on a local run with the temperature around 10/11 degrees.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check the tyre pressures. Mine seemed poor when I first got it but since discovering they were low and are now OK I managed 4.0mpkwH on an 80 mile run yesterday even with the temperature for the return journey at only at 1 - 2 deg C.
What have you put them too ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Won't have any 'miles/ metered kWh' figures until I've done another couple of hundred miles.
Just out of interest I have taken advantage of the best day of the year to charge my car (40kwh model) using solar pv courtesy of my Zappi. Zappi says the car consumed 7.5 kwh while LeafSpy says 6.5 kWh was added to the battery - a conversion rate of 87%.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
What have you put them too ?

38psi, the recommended pressure, I found it at around 33 when I checked them (one would presume the dealer would have set them to the recommanded setting in the PDI so I never thought to check. I find when they warm up now they sometimes get up to 40.
I do avoid racing up to traffic lights and queues of traffic only to brake hard then zoom way when they change/start moving. I try to avoid stopping altogether as it's the initial inertia that takes the highest current as a visit to the tram museum power room at Crich will prove.
Managed another 4.8 tonight on a local journey at just 5 degrees C. Bodes well for the warmer weather with hopefully 250+ miles range. That 4.8 equals my best so far.

Reactions: GOSPORT DAVE

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had mine for 3 months and 2000 miles. Mostly motorway 65-70 and terrible weather has averaged 3.1.
First month of ownership: Nissan e+ 62kWh and getting 3.23 - give or take - lol! Also mainly long journeys at 60/70 mph cruising!

Out of interest - are any other folk calculating what they are achieving, at what cost and from what sources?

:)

Pod-Point (100% Solar + Wind supplied)Engie (100% S+W)
Business MilesMax Trip lengthAverage Business trip distancePersonal milesTotal MilesTotal CostAverage £cost/ mileTotal Charge kWhAverage miles/kWh% Freekg Saved Carbon @110g/ kmHomes ChargesHome Charge CostHome kWhFree ChargeFree kWhFast ChargesFast Charge CostFast kWhFree ChargesEng kWh
Feb-20698191875021200£25.53£0.021371.43.2315%21311£20.57293.66114.703£4.9621.54141.45

1 - 16 of 16 Posts