Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
Anyone know the reasons for these brake downs that occur with Rapids?
The DBT rapids have three design flaws I'm aware of.

Humid air or water drawn into the cooling vents near the bottom of the rapid causes a parts to fail.
The cooling vents can get plugged with debris causing the charger to overheat.
There was a software error causing compatibility problem with CCS charging.

The CCS patch has been applied ( I think)
There is an engineering fix for the cooling vents. They have just begun the rollout on another round of upgrades. The 1st round was a quick temporary fix.

I know of a few cases where vandals have damaged the rapids but that is less common than other faults.

Electric Highway @ElecHighway · Nov 28
Next week Corley, Leicester Forest East and IKEA Coventry are being upgraded. We will advise day by day next week #EVs #ukcharge ^JP

0 replies3 retweets4 favorites

Electric Highway @ElecHighway · Nov 25
Upgrade/maintenance programme on all chargers starting from next week. SC

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
241 Posts
Thinking about the extreme weather they get in America it must be design. I guess also there is less to go wrong. No rfid cards, flaps, locks releases etc.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The reason is poor design plain and simple and the shocking thing is that Ecotricity have stuck with them and the problems are all still there, counted 49 out of action yesterday, we all told them to drop DBT over a year ago and all they have done since is put more in, blind faith or blind ignorance?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Total speculation but I'm guessing they might be getting some help funding the chargers, with the condition that they use DBT-CEV hardware.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Quite possibly, other European suppliers ripped out the DBT chargers, I wouldn't have a leaf if I had to rely on these chargers to work regularly, luckily I dont however this must be a major problem for other people that have been sold the car with the promise of the network being in place, Ecotricity are going to have a problem as I can see DBT folding over this issue.

·
Registered
964 Posts
..and why are superchargers which are 3x more output more reliable?
Because Elon Musk is no fool and he followed the KISS principle.

The car's on board 11kw AC chargers are paralleled for 22kw and the same paralleling allowed a stack of up to 12 x 11kw chargers in a supercharger enclosure!

That means if one fails you still have 11 more unaware of the single failure doing their thing as normal.

At some point in the future (no need to rush), the bad 11kw unit gets swapped out, and nobody really notices. Consequently there is no single point charger failure in the car or the supercharger!

He is the adviser now to our idiot government, and what have they done so far using his expertise to make a reliable network?

The blank space above was the answer!:mad:

This modular multiple parallel stack principle should have been adopted by other EV and Rapid charger manufacturers as I am sure you can't patent parallel connections:rolleyes:.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I was just thinking about asking why you never hear of a supercharger being offline, but I guess that explains it.

So is there a market for someone to come along and roll out supercharger type systems in competition to ecotricity (not that the thought has crossed my mind more than once recently).

·
Registered
964 Posts
I was just thinking about asking why you never hear of a supercharger being offline, but I guess that explains it.

So is there a market for someone to come along and roll out supercharger type systems in competition to ecotricity (not that the thought has crossed my mind more than once recently).
If Nissan had gone about this sensibly, they could have stacked their 3kw or 6kw car chargers and got the same result. Savings in numbers as well as massive increase in reliability too. There is ample space in the fridge freezer sized cabinets. An opportunity missed:rolleyes:.

The car chargers have proven to be reliable except mine and only a couple of others I know of!

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
Total speculation but I'm guessing they might be getting some help funding the chargers, with the condition that they use DBT-CEV hardware.
Nissan donated many of the DBT-CEV rapids installed the UK. There is a Nissan logo on the side of the unit. Ecotrcity could either use free units from Nissan and the RCN consortium or they could pay for ones from another manufacturer.

The decision to use DBT comes from Nissan's decisions going back to at least 2011 to partner with DBT. I can't find the link, but I've read that NIssan invested in DBT-CEV.

http://www.newsroom.nissan-europe.com/uk/en-gb/Media/Media.aspx?mediaid=114780

http://www.zerocarbonfutures.co.uk/...-centre-of-excellence-with-gateshead-college/

http://www.dbtcev.fr/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/DBT-CP2-15-octobre-GB-.pdf

http://www.nordfranceinvest.com/news/detail/dbt-cev-a-lille-region-success-story.html

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nissan donated many of the DBT-CEV rapids installed the UK. There is a Nissan logo on the side of the unit. Ecotrcity could either use free units from Nissan and the RCN consortium or they could pay for ones from another manufacturer.

The decision to use DBT comes from Nissan's decisions going back to at least 2011 to partner with DBT. I can't find the link, but I've read that NIssan invested in DBT-CEV.

http://www.newsroom.nissan-europe.com/uk/en-gb/Media/Media.aspx?mediaid=114780

http://www.zerocarbonfutures.co.uk/...-centre-of-excellence-with-gateshead-college/

http://www.dbtcev.fr/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/DBT-CP2-15-octobre-GB-.pdf

http://www.nordfranceinvest.com/news/detail/dbt-cev-a-lille-region-success-story.html
So is the Leaf taking the EV movement forward or backwards? Don't answer that, I want to stay on the charging point. Sounds like a Kickstarter project to get a reliable rapid for Non Tesla built. Sounds like a good University project. The architect schools can design a covered area so I don't get wet! Solar panels on top of cause and lighting that is not at high level and expensive to change. Then maybe our charging dreams can come true. Early adoption of charging locations is about land grabbing for the future. Rivals will come a marketplace will form where charging choice is possible and reliability is important to survive.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
So is the Leaf taking the EV movement forward or backwards? Don't answer that, I want to stay on the charging point. Sounds like a Kickstarter project to get a reliable rapid for Non Tesla built. Sounds like a good University project. The architect schools can design a covered area so I don't get wet! Solar panels on top of cause and lighting that is not at high level and expensive to change. Then maybe our charging dreams can come true. Early adoption of charging locations is about land grabbing for the future. Rivals will come a marketplace will form where charging choice is possible and reliability is important to survive.
I've seen these strange structures at the sides of some roads, they have a curved canopy which protects drivers and equipment while they refuel their cars. They have lighting to see what you're doing, underground energy storage to smooth the flow to drivers, payment systems at the refuelling unit and even a little shop you can pick up over priced milk and bread while you're waiting....

I wonder if they'll catch on?

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
AFAIK the Superchargers are head and shoulders above everything else in terms of reliability, and when they do go wrong the tie in between Tesla the car manufacturer, and Tesla the network provider is clear to see.

Over in the US when Harris Ranch went down Tesla had a bunch of flatbeds on standby!

http://pluginsites.org/remarkable-customer-service-at-tesla-superchargers/

I can't see Nissan/Renault doing that for an Ecotricity owned site ;)

So I agree to some point that the units themselves are better designed, probably as a side effect of inventory reduction rather than an end goal of parallelism, but whatever technicalities of the units themselves, Tesla's business model is probably the biggest driver. It is basically in their interest to have good uptime!

It's a real shame that VAG and BMW have gone for the CCS plug, now Tesla have proven a regular Type2 cable is capable of serving both AC and DC without yet another physical standard :(

There were rumours about the new Merc B class being able to use Superchargers, but I suspect that's gone by the wayside now :(

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
There were rumours about the new Merc B class being able to use Superchargers, but I suspect that's gone by the wayside now
They max out at 11kW from Type 2 3-phase AC. No rapid charging at all. Too bad.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts