Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2017 LEAF 30
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been buying fake leather seat covers from China (AliExpress) for good prices that are surprisingly good quality materials, sewing and fit. However, none of them do the Nissan LEAF. I can't believe Nissan would make seats solely for the LEAF.

Would anyone know other models that have similar seats?

I'm OK having a local upholsterer cut in openings for the heated seat switch and other details, but don't want a universal seat that is 133 cm wide for the 123 cm measured width of my rear split seat, for example.

My car is a January 2017 30 kWh JDM model, either X or G (hard to tell) with manual front seats done in light ivory (which my wife wanted). Bought it last week. Looks like new, but I can't imagine the light seats will stay like that for very long. The previous owner was a single tech guy who garaged the car, never had food, drink, cigs, pets or kids and clearly had OCD. It does not look like anyone ever sat in the rear seats. We live on a farm, grandkids, pets, dust and sand from the beach where fake leather and rubber floor mats are essential.

This is what it looked like on the car dealers web site when I bought it.

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Motor vehicle Window

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Fixture

· Registered
2017 LEAF 30
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my experience, they advertise the fact that they are in-seat airbag compliant and the ones I purchased have an overlap rather than stitching specifically to address that concern.

· Registered
2017 LEAF 30
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They aren’t allowed to sell seat covers for cars with air bags at side of seat as it can be dangerous if bags go off7
Agree, except the industry is not going to lose out because safety requirements change - they adapt, offering air bag compliant seat covers, and one only looks for covers that are so certified.

Side Airbag Compatibility seat cover - FH GROUP

· Registered
2017 LEAF 30
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
However, back to the core question... Does anyone know other Nissan cars that have the same seats? The rear seats are 40/60. I have a local upholsterer who can cut in special opening like the heat-warming switches, but I want covers close to the size so it does not look like I've draped flour sacks over them.

· Super Moderator
Public Transportation + Bicycle
13,710 Posts
The current LEAF is just a face lift. Under the skin it is mechanically the same car with a bigger battery and motor. The seat covers are different but the seats might be identical.

· Registered
2017 LEAF 30
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OP: could you track down some Leaf Tekna seats instead from a breaker's yard, and save a lot of hassle?
In New Zealand, almost all Leafs are Japanese imports (JDM), with a 95:5 ratio of dark to light and almost all fabric.

In our environment (beach, farm, 3 y/o grandkid, daughter with dogs and horses) we even put seat covers on our leather seat cars. Fabric would require monthly cleaning to keep it looking like new and it never happens.

When shopping for our Leaf I looked at a 2016 "G" model (the Tekna equivalent in JDM) for sale with tan leather interior, but the Leaf breakers had never seen one, and the price of the car was excessive.

What I really need is a pattern maker, one of those people who produces an accurate paper pattern that shows the size and the stitching lines. That can be mailed to the US in an envelop.

Or if there is a geek member skilled in the arts of 3-D camera measures to CAD that would do the trick. Patterns in Minutes - Automotive Interior Trim Cover - Part I — Digital Patterning for Industry Professionals - Digital Patterning for Industrial Fabrics

· Registered
537 Posts
In New Zealand, almost all Leafs are Japanese imports (JDM), with a 95:5 ratio of dark to light and almost all fabric.
I didn't notice the NZ flag next to your user name. The amount of Leafs in your country are obviously going to be a fraction of ours here in the UK.
Another option if you can't find identical seats in another Nissan may be to get some leather seats from an overseas breaker, but the freight cost won't be cheap.
Several years ago. I got some very good tailored seat covers for my Volvo off eBay, User name: Topcar-Athens, from Greece - perhaps you could ask them.

· Registered
2017 LEAF 30
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Living down under is a lifestyle paradise, but not a consumer paradise. A half hour repair job on a classic car takes two months - internet shopping, finding the part, ordering it, global shipping, discovering it was the wrong part, forget about returning it, the cost is a killer, repeat.

If I can find someone with a wrecked Leaf in Texas that has stained or torn seats that can be dropped off at their factory, that's the best answer. Or a reasonably priced vendor (typically out of China) who already makes them for Leaf. Or getting confirmation that Leaf seats are the same as another model, such as the Juke where the seat cover makers may already have them on offer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts