Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking delivery of my i3 this week and hoping to take it on a long drive (~220 miles) this weekend which will obviously need a top up on a CCS half way.

I have a podpoint charger and not planning many long journeys, so hoping to avoid buying a type 2 to type 2 cable and not have to carry around RFID or tokens.

Is it feasible to get by using only CCS chargers that accept debit card payment? For this specific journey (Bedford area to Weymouth)?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I recommend that you use Plugshare and Zap-map apps. They will provide the information for specific roads that you may use. One of the best networks that meets your criteria is Instavolt.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Zap-map has a filter for 'contactless'. Turn that on and you can answer your own question.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zap-map has a filter for 'contactless'. Turn that on and you can answer your own question.
I'm still dabbling and finding my way around - I did already try that but on some further research the terminology seems to get confused. Contactless, to me, means pay by debit card or Google Pay on my phone. But I've read many reports that this can also refer to specific RFID or tokens?

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I'm still dabbling and finding my way around - I did already try that but on some further research the terminology seems to get confused. Contactless, to me, means pay by debit card or Google Pay on my phone. But I've read many reports that this can also refer to specific RFID or tokens?
The contactless filter on zap-map means you can pay by credit/debit card. I can see how you might confuse that with RFID but that's not what that filter means. Watch out though with Google Pay: not all chargers that accept contactless payment will accept it so take a physical credit/debit card with you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks @Duncan that's useful to know. I think its a case of developing some experience and trust in the various systems. Like I said, I have definitely seen discussion (cant remember where, probably not here) of people discussing contactless to mean an RFID membership card.

Will probably go out Friday evening in search of a CCS or two to try.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
If it's a 120Ah i3 then ABRP suggests Spindlewood Instavolt, Basinstoke. All Instavolt take contactless payment so there's your answer.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Alternatively add a card to the podpoint app that you already have for your charger and check if there are any lidl 50kw podpoint rapids on route. The podpoint chargers using their app are about the easiest thing to use, and given your home charger selection you will already presumably have the app installed?

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,534 Posts
The ‘future journey’ function in the Wattsup app is good for quickly seeing which chargers are along a route and also for seeing which of those are contactless.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,534 Posts
The symbol circled indicates where contactless debit/credit card payment is accepted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts