Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2016 27KW Soul
When we picked up the car in 2017, it was 8 months old, it was a demonstrator and had done 3000 miles. The range we were getting then, on a full charge was 115.
Last summer we were still getting 105 miles. During last winter we were down to 85-90 as expected, depending on the temperature. But the range has not gone back up this summer, we still only get 89 on a full charge, even on the warmest weather, sometimes it shows 85miles on a full battery.
My wife and I are retired, driving manor is no different and journeys are just the same as always.
What should we expect on a car with 25,245 miles on the clock?
Does range just drop off all of a sudden like this?
And what range are others getting on their 2016 27KW models?
Thanks Steve.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,208 Posts
That sounds a bit odd. First thing I'd check is whether any of the wheels feel strangely hot after a reasonable round trip eg 20 miles or so. A binding brake could reduce range somewhat.

I'd definitely talk to the Kia dealer that normally services it. I'd not expect one to drop off like this.

Is it charged to 100% and left at 100% for days at a time?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
You are assuming the GOM is correct but its merely estimating range based on recent driving patterns.
Due to C19 have you been doing a lot of very short trips compared to last year? You say your driving manner hasnt changed but surely the trips you are doing now are very different to a year ago?
IME short trips have worse efficiency than longer ones, so if you have not been driving much the last month or two and its all (or mostly) been short trips, that might easily do it, the GOM is estimating your mileage based on lots of short trips. Last year you likely did some longer journeys and that put the estimate up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds a bit odd. First thing I'd check is whether any of the wheels feel strangely hot after a reasonable round trip eg 20 miles or so. A binding brake could reduce range somewhat.

I'd definitely talk to the Kia dealer that normally services it. I'd not expect one to drop off like this.

Is it charged to 100% and left at 100% for days at a time?
The car does not get used everyday, even before lockdown. We have averaged 7,000 a year, most journeys are no more than 40ml round trip. We have never bothered with a dedicated EV charge point, we charge from a 16A spur from our consumer unit on an off peak rate timer. It takes virtually all night to fully charge from empty. So if on return the battery is showing less than 60m range we will plug it in, in case the next trip needs some range. If we have 60ml and above we don't charge. But when we do plug in at home, then the car may sit for a couple of days and be left plugged in with the timer coming on each night. That probably is not good as it means the charger comes on and is attempting to charge a full battery. I do try to take it off charge, and rather than go out, unlock the car and remove the charging cable, I switch off the timer. But I have been know to forget to switch the timer back on. That means the next time we return from a journey and plug in to charge, it does not charge, annoying when we want to go out. On a positive note, we have only ever used the 50kW fast chargers a dozen times in 4 years.
Thanks Steve.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are assuming the GOM is correct but its merely estimating range based on recent driving patterns.
Due to C19 have you been doing a lot of very short trips compared to last year? You say your driving manner hasnt changed but surely the trips you are doing now are very different to a year ago?
IME short trips have worse efficiency than longer ones, so if you have not been driving much the last month or two and its all (or mostly) been short trips, that might easily do it, the GOM is estimating your mileage based on lots of short trips. Last year you likely did some longer journeys and that put the estimate up.
The only difference since lockdown is that my wife has stopped doing a 30ml trip once a week to babysit our granddaughters. And possibly we shop a bit less. So yes mileage is down but not in terms of driving pattern, we have always done shortish trips.
The car is now booked into Kia for the 1st July for them to assess it.
I should check the tyre pressures, I know there is a low pressure warning light, and that's not on, but I must admit not to having physically checked the pressures in a while. If they are a little low that could reduce range I suppose, but I doubt they are.
Thanks, Steve.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
131 Posts
If you have an Android phone or tablet, buy a copy of the SOUL EV Spy app and a KONWEI Bluetooth OBD2 interface. It will give the battery State of Health (SOH). If it is below 70%, your KIA warranty should replace it. EDIT The app will also show you whether you have one or more battery cells notably weaker then the rest.

With mainly short runs, it would be beneficial to recharge the battery whenever it gets down to 20% or 30%, but only to 70% or 80%, which is something you can set on the 27kWh model. On the 30kWh model, you have to set start and end times to get the same results. If you charge that way, you can leave it plugged in as long as you like.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My car has very similar mileage to yours, but is newer being a late ‘17 30kWh. The state of health at the last service before Christmas was 100%. I wonder if battery age rather than mileage comes into play. My car gets minimal use with lockdown, but with every charge my range is increasing from winter rather than decreasing, 140 last time I gave it a 100% charge to balance the cells. Should add I leave it sat at 50-60% in the hope this is best for it.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
131 Posts
That's interesting, James. I've noticed the same. My early 2018 30kWh (33,000 miles) also has improved GOM-wise. This morning, it showed 105 miles at 74% charge, which implies 141 miles at full charge. Soul EV Spy shows 100% SOH. I feel the partial charge regime has helped.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,755 Posts
Your rear brakes have probably rusted up by the sounds of it!!!... Are they 'brown'?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well thanks guys. Its going in on the 1st July to be checked out.
I suppose we never need a 100% charge even if we only have a 90ml range at 100%.
And if I can set the car to only charge to 75% we should always have 70ml range when we go out, and if our trips are no more than 30- 40 miles that will be ok, as we will come home with at least 30ml range left, and then could charge to 75%.
Is this better for the battery?
Steve.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Steve, I was led to believe that avoiding the extreme ends of the battery was better, particularly if left for longer in that state. Pre lockdown when the car was used every day I was using the 75-30% range. Was using about 10-12% a day. Now I’m going with 60%-40% due to more time sat around. Every few months I give it 100% to balance it but drive it straight away.

·
Super Moderator
7,532 Posts
Well thanks guys. Its going in on the 1st July to be checked out.
I suppose we never need a 100% charge even if we only have a 90ml range at 100%.
And if I can set the car to only charge to 75% we should always have 70ml range when we go out, and if our trips are no more than 30- 40 miles that will be ok, as we will come home with at least 30ml range left, and then could charge to 75%.
Is this better for the battery?
Steve.
Yes, small regular charges to a lower % are much better than waiting for it to be low and going to 100%. Just imagine, across the years, how many hours the battery has sat at 100% after charging has completed. It might be split up into chunks but it has spent MONTHS at 100%. My Leaf battery has spent YEARS sat at 100%, and that's probably why it only has 65% capacity left.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
The only difference since lockdown is that my wife has stopped doing a 30ml trip once a week to babysit our granddaughters. And possibly we shop a bit less. So yes mileage is down but not in terms of driving pattern, we have always done shortish trips.
The car is now booked into Kia for the 1st July for them to assess it.
I should check the tyre pressures, I know there is a low pressure warning light, and that's not on, but I must admit not to having physically checked the pressures in a while. If they are a little low that could reduce range I suppose, but I doubt they are.
Thanks, Steve.
It could be as simple as not doing that trip. Why not take it for a 30 mile trip tomorrow, then charge to 100% and see what is indicated.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have just bought a late 67 plate 30kwh with 36k miles on the clock two weeks ago
It was down to 20% so I put it on charge expecting To unplug it with around 90% this morning. The time indicated to full charge was 12 hours and but it was fully charged when I unplugged (10 hours). Is this normal that charge time is GOM too?
The GOM was showing 152 miles, which is consistent with 5.9 kWh/mile I have been getting on my commute to Central London.
I think type of journey makes a huge difference as my experience so far is that the GOM is pessimist and l may just beat it. My journey today was my usual 27 miles and GOM is now showing 134 miles. I prefer driving in Normal mode with B mode to slow down. It’s quiet slow on eco mode.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
131 Posts
Charge time is an estimate, presumably based on the battery state of charge at commencement and the rate of current flow (Amps) provided by the charging station at commencement of charge. If the Amps increase during the charge (which could happen for a number of reasons), the initial estimate will be undercut.

·
Registered
571 Posts
And what range are others getting on their 2016 27KW models?
We have a 15-plate 27kW car with over 60k on the clock. And 91% SOH battery when we purchased from the dealer (last month)
We are currently getting just over 100miles range as per the GOM. It's roughly fairly accurate with 1% of battery per mile.

Hopefully the dealer can do something. Has it had any previous updates under warranty? The attached BMS software update may just be the thing your car needs.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
There's a Canadian Youtuber who had this done and in his case there was immediate improvements to range.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts