Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

What RFID cards / apps cover what charging networks?

8K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Phil68 
#1 ·
Apologies if this has previously been answered. I have a collection of cards building - Polar, Shell Recharge, Freshmile, Chargepoint - some of which are for a forthcoming trip through France. When I look at ZapMap or Plugshare sometimes it gives a clue about what cards cover it, but where can I find a definitive list of local and national charging networks, and what cards cover them?

(Can’t wait for direct payments on all charge points, but I understand that doesn’t work for everyone...)

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
If you go into zap map you can choose to filter your search and choose a network. That will give you a list of every network in the UK. (hint - be sure to click 'more' as the list is longer than you first think!)

Generally you're going to need an access card (or app) for each network. It's not very common to see that one network allows roaming with another company's card. The only time you really see that is with companies that are directly linked. For example CYC and Chargeplace Scotland are (for now) based on the same system so you can use each other's cards. CYC is also owned by BP Chargemaster, so their main brand Polar's cards will work at CYC chargers (but not at Chargeplace Scotland)

Unless you're making lots of random journeys all over the place you should be fine just looking at Zap Map and finding one or two networks and sticking to them rather than signing up for them all.

(Another filter you can pick is only ones that take credit cards. So you can plan to stop only at places you don't have to sign up to before you use)

#3 ·
If you click on the Charging tab at the top of the Zap-Map webpage then click public networks you can see what is required to access each companies charging network.
Genie Point now have an app available, although you can still buy an RFID card for £9.

Reactions: Slowroad
#4 ·
The best I've found in France for this purpose is ChargeMap (Chargemap - charging stations for electric cars). If you click on the 'Stations' tab and then on 'See compatible passes' you get a list of passes accepted, where available. It even shows chargers where their pass is not accepted. It doesn't seem to cover every charger in the UK, so is less useful, but does cover a lot and does show the passes accepted for many.

#5 ·
Zap Map is a good source of information. For me contactless is my first choice. In Zap Map you can filter on payment type and choose contactless. There is a growing number in the UK and quite good coverage. Using contactless chargerswhere possible and shunning the "you have to join the club(s)" brigade would hopefully accelerate the move to all chargers having a contactless option.

#8 ·
I agree with cDy that ChargeMap is very good. Plugsurfing is a similar 'consolidator' to ChargeMap.

At the beginning of the year I made a trip to Switzerland and back and used ChargeMap and Plugshare (Zap-Map is UK only). Combining the two I found the information accurate and useful, and where it was not at any charger I used, I modified the information or location using the app's information editing facility.

I took the ChargeMap, Shell Recharge and Chargepoint RFID cards. I also signed up for the IziVia, KiWhiPass, Maingau and Révéo RFID cards. With all seven RFID cards mentioned I think you will be well covered for any trip through France.

I mainly used the Maingau card at Ionity autoroute stations, but also used the Shell Recharge and IziVia cards on this trip. I think the Révéo card is more useful in the southern half of France, though it has roaming arrangements in the west and north west.

IziVia is the new name for Sodetrel. Its part of the EDF power company. Many of their autoroute Corri-Door units I came across were permanently closed due to a technical/safety fault. Others are still open and I came across some marked as closed to find a replacement working rapid. They plan to strategically replace quite a few of the faulty units over time, though not all.

Auchan, Intermarché and Lidl stores are worth looking out for as many have destination chargers and quite a few have rapid chargers.

The KiWhiPass card seems to be highly recommended for everyone heading over to France.

Reactions: Wolfieofbaildon
#9 ·
For the UK ChargeMap, Plugshare and Zap-Map should provide the information you need but there is no definitive list. Its all a bit disorganised everywhere!

#12 ·
Hi all

I have just joined the community as I am in the process of cancelling my CYC card through lack of use, only to find that they are now part of BP Chargemaster!

I was under the impression that all chargers should now be useable by anyone with a credit card, so I thought I had better find out more.

I only signed up for the CYC card as I need to charge my car last September while waiting for my home charger to be fitted, and have not used it since.

So, can I just rock up anywhere and used any charger?

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere:).

PD

#15 ·
I was under the impression that all chargers should now be useable by anyone with a credit card, so I thought I had better find out more.
All new chargers require contactless as a form of payment, but from what I've witnessed so far that seems to only apply to rapids, not seen any slower chargers offering contactless, but some app / RFID based subscription instead.

The thing I recently found frustrating, is operators 'hiking' the price for those paying contactless vs. using an app / RFID access... Both Polar and Shell are doing this. Shell it's 39p/kW vs. 34p/kW if you purchase their RFID card. I wonder if this breaches the legislation around not penalising card payments? I guess there is some loophole for it.

#16 ·
Shell Recharge/NewMotion have roaming agreements with other networks.

I'm a bit confused about Shell Recharge though, as some (all?) of the Shell chargers are on Smoov not Shell Recharge. I registered with Smoov and added my Shell Recharge fob, presumably that's sufficient, but should this not work anyway? Or does it and the app is wrong?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.