• home

• charge point

• charge point in car park

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking on autotrader and there are several decent looking b class EVs for sale.

Having had a brief look on this site I have seen some worrying posts about Renault Zoes being hit and miss when charging.

Is this something that effects the B class as well?

How do you EV owners get your cars charged? I was debating getting a charging socket fitted in my garage (at end of garden and never put my car in it before as easier parking outside the front of house with my small kids) but there are local car park charging points so if they are reliable maybe I can save myself the hassle of home charging.

What other tips does anyone have?

TIA

·
Super Moderator
5,939 Posts
So I've been looking on autotrader and there are several decent looking b class EVs for sale.

Having had a brief look on this site I have seen some worrying posts about Renault Zoes being hit and miss when charging.

Is this something that effects the B class as well?

How do you EV owners get your cars charged? I was debating getting a charging socket fitted in my garage (at end of garden and never put my car in it before as easier parking outside the front of house with my small kids) but there are local car park charging points so if they are reliable maybe I can save myself the hassle of home charging.

TIA
Completely down to how you are going to use the car and if you also have access to an ICE.

The Merc is a cracking car and I have heard of no reliabilty issues, if you can live with under 80 miles a day then a home charger should cover your needs easily.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only do the nursery run and local-ish journeys, so maximum daily for me is about 40-60 miles if visiting friends round trip. How long does it take to charge the B class?

·
Registered
939 Posts
....but there are local car park charging points so if they are reliable maybe I can save myself the hassle of home charging.
Oops you've set my alarm bells off there. Your fastest charge rate anywhere with the B Class Electric is 10 kW/hr, therefore you're looking at no less than a three hour charge time for that vehicle, more probably four hours to 100%. Not many people could live with that day in, day out away from home.

·
Super Moderator
5,939 Posts
I only do the nursery run and local-ish journeys, so maximum daily for me is about 40-60 miles if visiting friends round trip. How long does it take to charge the B class?
Every EV would cope with your average usage pattern, the Merc would defiantly be the "poshest" choice:)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hi @MichelleMumofTwo and welcome to the forum, as you may of noticed not many people are keen on the Merc it could have been the best EV out last year if they had added the rapid charge option, this puts lots of potential buyers off so keep that in mind if you are buying it outright as it may be a difficult used car to sell in a couple of years time, if you are looking at a cheap PCP deal and it fits your usage go for it, or atleast book a test drive! A fixed home charger is the way to go, no messing with cables from your boot and ready to go each morning pre heated on the cold days as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi @MichelleMumofTwo and welcome to the forum, as you may of noticed not many people are keen on the Merc it could have been the best EV out last year if they had added the rapid charge option, this puts lots of potential buyers off so keep that in mind if you are buying it outright as it may be a difficult used car to sell in a couple of years time, if you are looking at a cheap PCP deal and it fits your usage go for it, or atleast book a test drive! A fixed home charger is the way to go, no messing with cables from your boot and ready to go each morning pre heated on the cold days as well.
I hadn't thought about selling it on, but I did notice that there seem to be a few 2014/15 models up for sale. I'm going to definitely look into this - thank you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you are serious then Mercedes Brentford have got a lovely blue demonstrator with 500 miles on that they seem keen to get rid of ☺
I have my eye on this - it's not too far from me but taking into consideration about the selling it on comment I need to look into other ownership/lease options

·
Registered
865 Posts
It's a nice car if it suits your usage - i am toying with swapping the zoe for the Merc. Why not get them to quote for PCP deal with a small deposit then you won't have to tie 20k up in it ?
I have my eye on this - it's not too far from me but taking into consideration about the selling it on comment I need to look into other ownership/lease options

·
Premium Member
11,980 Posts
You need your own charger. Most public chargers in England (*) will only charge the B Class at 3kW so you would need to leave it there for 10 hours if it was flat! Also the public posts near you might be free to use today but unlikely forever.

A basic 3kW charger isn't expensive compared to cost of car
Grant Funded Home Charging Points | EV Charging | Rolecserv

I would recommend a Mercedes PCP or PCH as selling the B Class on could be difficult. There is a private seller on Autotrader who is struggling...

(* and Wales - I believe 22kW posts are more common in Scotland and NI)

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
I jumped at a chance to test drive one in the US before they were on sale here in the UK.

The B Class is a great car that is completely and entirely let down by how it charges.

It wouldn't work for us simply because it is impractical to take on mid-range journeys we use the LEAF for.

·
Registered
143 Posts

TIA
I would suggest that home charging is the least hassle option - unless you are already using those local car parks? We charge in local council car parks, but mostly because we don't have the ability to charge at home. They are also free at the moment, which is great, but of course that doesn't mean it will be free forever!

Charging in local car parks also works because we work nearby so just stick it on to charge whilst working. Is that the same for you?

Before buying our car, we watched the car parks we were planning on using to check we could reliably get a charging spot. The one near me is fine - never failed to get a space yet. But the one near my hubby is usually full by about 8.45am :unsure:

I didn't realise that the Merc didn't have rapid charging. You are really going to have to be 100% certain not to drive more than 80 or so miles in any 24 hours. Perhaps it would be a good idea to track your driving for a few weeks before taking the plunge? Or do you have an alternative car if you're out of juice and need to go somewhere?

EDITED TO ADD: We've had some charging issues since getting the Outlander - none of them the car's fault! The chargers we use develop faults on a regular basis. Mostly CYC can get them going again, but it can be frustrating when you're in a hurry to get to work, or got a toddler screaming because he can see the park and doesn't understand why he's not out of the car yet ;) CYC are not open during evenings and weekends either so no fix available then.

We also then had a fault develop with one of our charging cables (Type 2) which had to be replaced. That meant a couple of weeks only able to charge via rapid or local 3-pin plug charge points. There are far fewer of those, so often we couldn't charge, so I was really glad we had the petrol engine as a fall back option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would suggest that home charging is the least hassle option - unless you are already using those local car parks? We charge in local council car parks, but mostly because we don't have the ability to charge at home. They are also free at the moment, which is great, but of course that doesn't mean it will be free forever!

Charging in local car parks also works because we work nearby so just stick it on to charge whilst working. Is that the same for you?

Before buying our car, we watched the car parks we were planning on using to check we could reliably get a charging spot. The one near me is fine - never failed to get a space yet. But the one near my hubby is usually full by about 8.45am :unsure:

I didn't realise that the Merc didn't have rapid charging. You are really going to have to be 100% certain not to drive more than 80 or so miles in any 24 hours. Perhaps it would be a good idea to track your driving for a few weeks before taking the plunge? Or do you have an alternative car if you're out of juice and need to go somewhere?
There is a council carpark 25 min walk from my house, and another in the town centre mall (this one would encourage guilt free shopping activities due to all the petrol money savings!) I would be surprised if I did 100 miles in an average week (usually more like 25 miles pw unless visiting friends the other side of london), and the only time i've done long trips in the past two years was peppa pig world and the seaside trips, but these are within the 85 mile range. Peppa pig world doesn't have a charger, but the seaside towns do. I guess train to faraway places would be a possibility, or overnight stops along the way. It does seem a colossal pita that merc didn't add supercharging points to this vehicle though, doesn't it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You need your own charger. Most public chargers in England (*) will only charge the B Class at 3kW so you would need to leave it there for 10 hours if it was flat! Also the public posts near you might be free to use today but unlikely forever.

A basic 3kW charger isn't expensive compared to cost of car
Grant Funded Home Charging Points | EV Charging | Rolecserv

I would recommend a Mercedes PCP or PCH as selling the B Class on could be difficult. There is a private seller on Autotrader who is struggling...

(* and Wales - I believe 22kW posts are more common in Scotland and NI)
So I went on we buy any car and put in the licence plate and mileage of the b class i want to buy and they offer it £6k less than it's on autotrader for. but if i have the car two years I will have saved £1200 on diesel - it's a lot of money to take a hit on, isn't it? I guess the leaf would work out much better in a sense but it's not as pretty :)

·
Premium Member
11,980 Posts
So I went on we buy any car and put in the licence plate and mileage of the b class i want to buy and they offer it £6k less than it's on autotrader for. but if i have the car two years I will have saved £1200 on diesel - it's a lot of money to take a hit on, isn't it? I guess the leaf would work out much better in a sense but it's not as pretty :)
WBAC don't generally like electric cars so won't give a good price :)

Have you looked at the Zoe? The new one has real world range over 150 mile range, you can buy the battery now and the Q model will charge quickly. The deals aren't as good as they used to be, but the 5 year HP is affordable. The deal below is from @Badger in Black who can give you more info

DSG Renault - New and Used Renault Dealer in Morecambe - New and Used Renault Dealer in Barrow-In-Furness

1 - 20 of 26 Posts