Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at solar panels for the house. It seems that each compaby has an entirely different solution each coming out at around the magic figure of £6000. One company was so kind as to break down the cost and I could see that I could source several components cheaper myself (although they wouldn't let me do that and I need a certified installer to claim FIT.
Other things that I realise are important:-
Estimation on energy production - my roof is about 70 degrees from south facing so probably not the best but I'm quoted a return in 7 years
Connecting to emersion heater for hot water (seems best use of captured energy)
So what experience do people have and who have they found the best to go with (This applies mainly to the south east)?
This is the view of my roof in relation to north being up

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
£6000 for how big system.
2 years ago I paid £6600 for 4kw and about 6 months ago the village hall pair £4400 ish for 3.6(ish)Kw

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If your primary reason for installing is for hot water, get a hot water panel, not pv. Much more cost effective. We have had one for almost 10 years.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I used the Phoenix Works in Leeds, very good installer, went for enphase micro inverter instead of a string system as I didnt want the big box on the wall, highly recommended.

Here is a little video of how it went for me, been in a year and working great, the Leaf is pretty much always 100% solar powered.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard from friends that had them that they get charged about £90 a year for maintenance which negates their benefit (probably they are being ripped off) but no, my primary reason is to generate elextricity which will help sustain the EV, however until I can store the power in the day when I'm out at work and use to.power house and charge car at night I will stick with saving co2 and storing in the water tank

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Our solar hot water panel was installed 9 years ago and the only maintenance it requires was a replacement pump. There is an ongoing cost of running a water softener, but of course that extends the life of all the appliances as well. Teh salt for that costs £9.30-odd a bag and each bag lasts a month in the summer, longer in the winter. The only problem is that sometimes the water in the tank is too hot for the washing machine's cooler cycles. Then you make sure you have your shower and wash teh sheets and towels first, or save the delicates up for a cloudy day.

For 9 months of the year we don't need to spend any money on hot water.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I used Solar Voltaics of Havant, very good experience with them.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
My roof is slightly east of SE too and I have 22 PV panels on it. Not a perfect orientation, but by no means poor.
Worth a play with http://www.valentin-software.com/en. Their pvsol app is great and will give you the reassurance that you need to go ahead. What pitch is your roof? A shallower pitch helps too.
Fwiw I used evoenergy.co.uk 3 years ago and would recommend them. I've generated 11MWh since I installed my 4kW system.

Reactions: Paul and MK Tom

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I've heard from friends that had them that they get charged about £90 a year for maintenance which negates their benefit (probably they are being ripped off) but no, my primary reason is to generate elextricity which will help sustain the EV, however until I can store the power in the day when I'm out at work and use to.power house and charge car at night I will stick with saving co2 and storing in the water tank
No thats not true at all, there is no running service costs at all from the Phoenix works, it has a 20 year warranty, I have made a grand in 1 year from the panels and run my house and car from them, its a no brainer

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I used PAARL Energy, who also installed a 10 kWp array on our village hall that has been very successful.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
No thats not true at all, there is no running service costs at all from the Phoenix works, it has a 20 year warranty, I have made a grand in 1 year from the panels and run my house and car from them, its a no brainer
Could you give more detail on the numbers please, like the size of your array and how many kWh you've generated? Was that £1k FiT income?

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Any one heard of The Midnight Sun for storage of spare pv generation for later use. aweenergy.com
Perhaps steer clear of this? -http://solarkent.wordpress.com/2013/09/12/midnight-sun-solar-energy/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts