Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the imminent collection of my Kia Soul and seemingly premature arrival of a Zoe, which everyone seems to think has a slight problem (Zoe transmission noise, sounds bad, probably have to go...) if I send the Zoe back what do I do next?

I am very keen on the Zoe deal and find a replacement. But what else if that swap-over doesn't go to plan?

... You know what .. after scouring the inner recesses of my brainpower this PM I am slowly coming around to one of the craziest-not-so-crazy ideas I have had; if it were to materialise over the next week or so that I become Zoe-less, maybe the answer is .. get back in an Ampera?

.. I have surely had worse ideas in my life ...

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,125 Posts
What's the monthly budget? Would an ioniq be affordable? Boot is bigger than the soul and the 38kwh Ioniq would probably have a reasonable range too. It's forgotten about as it's not an SUV.

·
29,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's the monthly budget? Would an ioniq be affordable? Boot is bigger than the soul and the 38kwh Ioniq would probably have a reasonable range too. It's forgotten about as it's not an SUV.
Oh, the decision-making is far more difficult than that, made difficult precisely because I can afford that!

But as any spend-thrift knows, the reason one can afford something is because one does not 'simply' buy that something!

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
@donald would probably be the only person ever to average better than 4m/kWh in a leaf 😂
Donald would do far better than that, I managed an average of 4.7 over 2 years and that included my wife driving and she would give Lewis Hamilton a run for his money.....

·
29,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@donald would probably be the only person ever to average better than 4m/kWh in a leaf 😂
It was about 5.5mi/kWh average, occasionally 6.5mi/kWh over a few 'good' miles.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It was about 5.5mi/kWh average, occasionally 6.5mi/kWh over a few 'good' miles.

Just out of interest have you ever tried an ionic?

·
29,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I have tried to try one. I called 3 local dealers and none really knew anything about BEVs and tried to sit me in a hybrid.

I am quite picky on seat comfort and is the reason I have not gone with a Leaf before, I have never found the Leaf very comfortable. I need to try an Ioniq before I would commit to one.

I mean, I did sign up to those bonkers deals, do you remember there was 'supposedly' half a dozen that appeared for lease at some silly number, and I did get my name in quick, only for it to be rebuffed by the advertiser.

I'll take a look to see if anything is for outright sale at the moment.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,106 Posts
I am quite picky on seat comfort and is the reason I have not gone with a Leaf before, I have never found the Leaf very comfortable.
My 30kWh LEAF Acenta had the most comfortable drivers seat I’ve tried in a long time.

Meanwhile I found the Ioniq one of the less comfortable seats as if I could never quite get it right. Longer distance journeys were guaranteed to give me back pain. Shame as it was otherwise great.

If you’re seemingly the opposite of me in terms of seat preferences, definitely try an Ioniq. If you find it comfortable I’m sure you’ll love it!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yes 30kW Acenta seats were nearly as good as my Rover 75. The 40kW Tekna seats are a little less comfortable but miles better than the Zoe. Dont know about other EVs although I did try the Jag ipace but hated it for other reasons. The seats in my Austin Ambassador (wedge) were the best I ever used.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,125 Posts
The Zoe 40 seats are quite soft. The r110 I drove had firmer seats. Leaf ones are between the two. You can adjust them for height which you can't on the Zoe.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I know Donald hates the Leaf seats, but plus one for the Ioniq it seems to tick more of the Donald boxes of anything out there, he might even nudge 200 miles in one.
I'm not blown away by the performance of them though, seems slower than my old leaf (especially off of the line)

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
I seem to have a similar vehicle choice to you @donald having started in an Ampera in 2014, changed to a Kia Soul EV and am now in a new 38.3 kWh Ioniq.

Wife had a 24 kWh Leaf, now in a 40 kWh, so I also have experience of the Leaf.

I also put my name down for one of the crazy Ioniq lease deals but missed them. Then I did get a very competitive lease through DSG that was almost the same price as I had been paying for my Soul EV through the Drive Electric deal.

Only had the car just over a month so not had the chance to use it much but very happy with my choice.

Also have some definite Ampera vibes in the Ioniq. Something to do with the body shape, split rear screen, no rear wiper and the new touch sensitive buttons!

Anyway, definitely worth checking one out and speak to Jeff at DSG to see what he can offer.

Derek

·
Leaf lover
4,618 Posts
I went out to buy a radiator (hang the wall type) and thought it couldn't do any harm to just look at this Mazda MX5 and then found myself standing in the showroom trying to think of a good reason why I should not purchase the vehicle.
@donald do you have a good reason to not purchase an Ampera?

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
@donald
You haven't given a set of requirements, how can we know what you want?

·
29,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went out to buy a radiator (hang the wall type) and thought it couldn't do any harm to just look at this Mazda MX5 and then found myself standing in the showroom trying to think of a good reason why I should not purchase the vehicle.
@donald do you have a good reason to not purchase an Ampera?
Stop it! I am immune to such mind tricks! ;)

That being said, if this 'Bellingers' is, indeed, the gold standard for servicing, then 'that' was the only real reason I sold mine, along with warranty running out. If I buy a low mile late Ampera and use Bellingers, those are no longer factors that affect my purchase decision.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts